Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 09:13 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Really... This cannot be a serious question

The per capita income in McAllen is around 22K. The per capita income in Mexico City is 39K. The state of Campeche has a per capita income of 48K. And COL in Mexico is generally much lower than in the U.S.

https://www.oecd.org/cfe/MEXICO-Regi...ities-2018.pdf

Mexico City is the 7th richest city by GDP in the world . . . While there is not insignificant poverty in Mexico, there is a large middle class and spectacular concentrations of wealth.

A neighborhood like Las Llomas in the southwest quadrant of Mexico City is more like Beverly Hills, CA than anything in the RGV. Polanco, also in Mexico City, while newer and greener and a little more spread out is more like the upper east side of Manhattan than anything in the RGV - handful of the best restaurants in the world, world-class art museums etc.

I know Mexico but but I have not been everywhere and I can think of an overwhelming number of places with as high and nearly as many with a higher standard of living than the RGV. For starters: a good third of Mexico City, most of Campeche, nearly all of Merida (the safest city in Mexico and safer than most U.S. cities), a large chunk of Monterrey, Guadalajara, Puebla, Cuernavaca, and while South Padre is nice, the resort parts of any number of Caribbean and Pacific cities - Puerta Vallarta, the tourist trap of Cancun, then there are pretty fancy mountain towns like San Miguel de Allende.

Then there are the colonias of the RGV, some of the worst slums in the U.S. and entirely comparable to the worst slums of Mexico.

I like the RGV fine, but this is really not a fair comparison, an impoverished region of a middling state against an entire country.

But to answer your question, there are MANY MANY places in Mexico with a higher standard of living...
The link you gave showed GDP per capita, that's not the same thing as income.

And the safety disparity between the Texas border areas and Mexico as a whole (especially the border towns on the Texas side) is much too high to ignore (especially considering violence is getting worse under their current administration).

And I'm surprised to read Puebla. I thought it was pretty impoverished, considering here in New York we get a lot of immigrants from there and they're very poor even here.

Last edited by Foamposite; 10-06-2020 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Really... This cannot be a serious question

The per capita income in McAllen is around 22K. The per capita income in Mexico City is 39K. The state of Campeche has a per capita income of 48K. And COL in Mexico is generally much lower than in the U.S.

https://www.oecd.org/cfe/MEXICO-Regi...ities-2018.pdf

Mexico City is the 7th richest city by GDP in the world . . . While there is not insignificant poverty in Mexico, there is a large middle class and spectacular concentrations of wealth.

A neighborhood like Las Llomas in the southwest quadrant of Mexico City is more like Beverly Hills, CA than anything in the RGV. Polanco, also in Mexico City, while newer and greener and a little more spread out is more like the upper east side of Manhattan than anything in the RGV - handful of the best restaurants in the world, world-class art museums etc.

I know Mexico but but I have not been everywhere and I can think of an overwhelming number of places with as high and nearly as many with a higher standard of living than the RGV. For starters: a good third of Mexico City, most of Campeche, nearly all of Merida (the safest city in Mexico and safer than most U.S. cities), a large chunk of Monterrey, Guadalajara, Puebla, Cuernavaca, and while South Padre is nice, the resort parts of any number of Caribbean and Pacific cities - Puerta Vallarta, the tourist trap of Cancun, then there are pretty fancy mountain towns like San Miguel de Allende.

Then there are the colonias of the RGV, some of the worst slums in the U.S. and entirely comparable to the worst slums of Mexico.

I like the RGV fine, but this is really not a fair comparison, an impoverished region of a middling state against an entire country.

But to answer your question, there are MANY MANY places in Mexico with a higher standard of living...
Also, this is comparable to the worst slums of Mexico?

https://www.google.com/maps/@26.2807...7i13312!8i6656

I browsed the Colonias and they just look like lower end suburbs, and the houses themselves really aren't that bad. I doubt the slums of Mexico City look that nice, but I haven't seen them yet.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:58 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
I would not call living without running water and electricity "lower end suburbs"

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...as-6389187.php

Old 10-07-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I would not call living without running water and electricity "lower end suburbs"

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...as-6389187.php
Yeah I did some more research and found that some of them are worse than the ones I saw.

However Mexico is still much more dangerous than the border towns on the US side

Old 10-07-2020, 12:48 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah I did some more research and found that some of them are worse than the ones I saw.

However Mexico is still much more dangerous than the border towns on the US side
The border towns in Texas are indeed much safer than the border towns in Mexico. Juarez and Tijuana are the most dangerous cities in Mexico, but not ALL of Mexico is dangerous . . .

Old 10-07-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
The border towns in Texas are indeed much safer than the border towns in Mexico. Juarez and Tijuana are the most dangerous cities in Mexico, but not ALL of Mexico is dangerous . . .
Mexico's murder clearance rate is only 1 to 2%, which is god awful for the country as a whole. It seems there are no consequences for committing homicides which is a strong deterrent against me ever wanting to live there.

At least in even the poorest parts of Texas, the statistics are nowhere near that grim + you can legally defend yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas