Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 03:14 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times

Advertisements

June 24th, 2020 - Texas facing massive COVID-19 outbreak, Abott says:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/pol...s-15363593.php

Abbott, who aggressively pushed to reopen the state in May, acknowledged state officials are closely watching hospital space.

There are some regions in the state of Texas that are running tight on hospital capacity that may necessitate a localized strategy to make sure that hospital beds will be available, he said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 03:13 AM

1 posts, read 415 times
R95 respirators are still available, you just have to think outside of Amazon. I know it's unhealthy but I had today off and couldn't help thinking of people who might come over in need. So I did a four hour run.

Amazon? GTFO. They wont sell to civilian. You know where I had luck? random online stores on google. If you buy a R95 you get the same protection and it looks like a cool as **** Bane mask. Plus the seal is better. And there is no guilt of taking an N95 away from a medical professional, R95s are literally for painting.
(https://golden-tree-supply.myshopify.com/)

Old 06-25-2020, 01:59 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
What are your thoughts on what should be done in Texas to protect vulnerable people (elderly and those with significant health issues) from flu and other viruses on an on-going basis, once there's a cure for covid-19? Nothing / back to normal (=> 34,157 deaths per year is acceptable)? Continue the lockdown forever? Something else?
]
We need a law that requires all citizens to wear a MASK in public places.

The vast majority of these redneck Bible thumpers in Texas who claim to be "pro life", but have stated they don't care if someone else catches covid from them, and they refuse to wear a mask.

So you see, we have a problem. Unless they are forced to do so, they won't.

Yes, the elderly are at high risk. I worry about my elderly friends and wonder if they will be around a year or two from now. It scares me.

There is a mask law in California, and there should be one in Texas.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
If you think it is just redneck Bible thumpers who are the problem, then you are quite mistaken.
The millennials are packing the bars without a thought to social distancing, and as a result the hospitalizations are skyrocketing for those between 20-39.
Those hipster bars that are being closed in Austin and having their licenses suspended are hardly the haunts of the people you sneer at.
And never mind how hard it is hitting the minority communities, both brown & black.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Hope your elderly friends are staying home a heck of a lot more, and taking extra precautions when out and about, as anyone at high risk should do. And if they're your friends, maybe you should really be helping them out a lot so they don't have to go out at all.

You know, if necessary, I could stay in my house for a year, probably longer. I would do whatever was necessary if I was at high risk for COVID 19. As it is, I'm not particularly high risk so I follow common sense societal rules - social distancing, lots more handwashing, wearing a mask in some scenarios, etc.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:27 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
If you think it is just redneck Bible thumpers who are the problem, then you are quite mistaken.
The millennials are packing the bars without a thought to social distancing, and as a result the hospitalizations are skyrocketing for those between 20-39.
Those hipster bars that are being closed in Austin and having their licenses suspended are hardly the haunts of the people you sneer at.
And never mind how hard it is hitting the minority communities, both brown & black.
The other day, my husband and I ate at a restaurant. We sat next to a working couple (clearly on a professional lunch break, not a romantic couple from what I could tell). Both were no more than maybe 35 years old. He wore a mask the entire time. She took hers off when she sat down. They were not social distancing, not with each other or with other people (waitstaff, us sitting near them, etc.) The guy had a beard which his mask did not cover. He constantly touched the menu, the table, the dishes the waitstaff had touched, etc. and then his mask, which he lifted for each bite.

It was all I could do not to ask him "Excuse me, but what exactly is it that you think you are accomplishing with that surgical mask?"

Old 06-25-2020, 05:01 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times
According to Abbott, elective surgeries are now on hold because of our states surge in positive diagnosises and hospitalization rates. Those suffering with painful conditions that require surgery but are not emergency situations will now have to suffer longer or travel out of state. A shame really because if we just would have followed the prescription for its entire duration like some other states, this could have likely been avoided. Unfortunately, now a haymaker may be coming for our states patients, small businesses and our economy as we start to close up shop again

Old 06-25-2020, 05:20 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
According to Abbott, elective surgeries are now on hold because of our states surge in positive diagnosises and hospitalization rates. Those suffering with painful conditions that require surgery but are not emergency situations will now have to suffer longer or travel out of state. A shame really because if we just would have followed the prescription for its entire duration like some other states, this could have likely been avoided. Unfortunately, now a haymaker may be coming for our states patients, small businesses and our economy as we start to close up shop again
The order applies to 4 counties(Harris, Dallas, Bexar, and Travis).

Gov. Abbott Suspends Elective Surgeries in Four Texas Counties, Including Dallas County
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavi...ounty/2395381/
Quote:
The governor issued the order effective Friday night at 11:59 p.m. for hospitals in Bexar, Dallas, Harris and Travis counties. The order does not, so far, impact any other North Texas county.
Hospitals are turning away patients after running out of ICU beds and other beds are being converted to ICU beds. Patients are being airlifted to other counties to find any open beds. The surge plan is to free up capacity from non-elective procedures and convert the general admission beds to ICU beds. These ICU Beds are for all patients such as heart attacks, strokes, etc.

COVID-19 devastates Rosenberg family: 'I have lost my mother, my father and my brother'
https://www.khou.com/article/news/he...4-c915671ed4c9
Quote:
The father got sick first, but within days of each other, they were all hospitalized at OakBend Medical Center in Richmond.

Rodriguez Jr. said he’d tried to get all three of them into larger Houston hospitals where more aggressive treatments, like plasma treatments, were being conducted but was unsuccessful.

“We tried to go everywhere in Houston but there were no beds available," he said.

Rudy Rodriguez died June 8. His mother died June 9. That same day, his father was airlifted to UTMB in Galveston when a bed became available, but 10 days later, on June 19, he died, too
It's easier for non-elective surgery patients to go to the neighboring county on their own schedule. Coma, stroke, or other patients in Intensive Care may need to be airlifted to other counties. They may not survive a long trip to another county.

Last edited by move4ward; 06-25-2020 at 05:35 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 06:04 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The other day, my husband and I ate at a restaurant. We sat next to a working couple (clearly on a professional lunch break, not a romantic couple from what I could tell). Both were no more than maybe 35 years old. He wore a mask the entire time. She took hers off when she sat down. They were not social distancing, not with each other or with other people (waitstaff, us sitting near them, etc.) The guy had a beard which his mask did not cover. He constantly touched the menu, the table, the dishes the waitstaff had touched, etc. and then his mask, which he lifted for each bite.

It was all I could do not to ask him "Excuse me, but what exactly is it that you think you are accomplishing with that surgical mask?"
Going to a restaurant or bar, or basically any place where you would need your mouth open regularly, always seemed like stupid idea if you needed to keep a mask on.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:09 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Talk about Abbott and his boys turning this into a complete cluster for Texas. We had a relatively mild first wave...all it required was some common sense and patience, but no, greed pushed him to be one of the firs to reopen...now we all get to enjoy the results...notice how New York has NOT had a rebound in cases after they reopened? People will point out the mistakes the NY governor and NYC mayor made initially, but I give them a pass. They were the first to really take the brunt of this and had to learn through painful experience. And learn they did, waiting until the wave was over before reopening.

Texas had the luxury of seeing what was happening in NY, and STILL charged down the same path, falling into the same ditch. Learning absolutely nothing. Instead we had idiots like Dan Patrick talking about sacrificing the elderly to keep the economy going. Well he just might get his wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas