Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 04:02 PM

8,349 posts, read 5,502,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
The entire population of Donley County is 3500 on a good day, not counting cattle, so what value is your per capita measure?
Its not MY per capita measure. Its a per capita measurement. I didnt invent the concept of division.

The reason its important is that it shows how many people of the whole have the virus. Seven cases in New York would hardly be noticed, a place like Donley County it has the opportunity to make a greater impact on the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 04:05 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
The entire population of Donley County is 3500 on a good day, not counting cattle, so what value is your per capita measure?
I'm guessing:
7/3500 = X/100,000
X=200

Old 04-08-2020, 04:18 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
I will assume you live in a city and don't understand distances. In a rural area, "social distancing" is the norm, not anything special. My nearest neighbor is 1 mile away. I can wander all over my property without ever meeting another human. We do not go to town every day -- every few weeks is normal.

We're following the governor's recommendations. We're just less exercised about it, because it doesn't really change our daily lives.
Why would you assume I don't understand distances? That comment seemed a tad snarky to me

Old 04-08-2020, 04:37 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
The panic is totally unwarranted for the vast majority of the population. There are definitely people who are vulnerable and they need to take precautions, but as you said, health children and non-elderly adults will either be asymptomatic or have moderate symptoms at worst. One of the theories I have read as to the rapid transmission of the virus is that there are a lot of people who have such mild symptoms they don't even realize they have it.

The biggest issue with covid-19 is the constant 24/7 media fearmongering.
I agree About the fearmongering

Since we've all been stuck at home, my routine revolves around the news

I wake up to Google alarm. Then, after I say Hey Google shut off alarm", I say "hey Google, play news" Then, I lay there and listen to Fox News. Always the latest statistics, etc. Then I stumble out to my home office, make coffee, fire up the computer, and check the various news sources. Then, I do my daily WFH job. I take "news break" several times during the day, then, dh and I eat dinner in front of the TV and watch local news, then national news.

Hmmm....maybe I need to get away from the news? Perhaps just once a day? Maybe have a news free day once in awhile? There's nothing I can do about it, anyways, …..

Old 04-08-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

I agree About the fearmongering

Since we've all been stuck at home, my routine revolves around the news

I wake up to Google alarm. Then, after I say Hey Google shut off alarm", I say "hey Google, play news" Then, I lay there and listen to Fox News. Always the latest statistics, etc. Then I stumble out to my home office, make coffee, fire up the computer, and check the various news sources. Then, I do my daily WFH job. I take "news break" several times during the day, then, dh and I eat dinner in front of the TV and watch local news, then national news.

Hmmm....maybe I need to get away from the news? Perhaps just once a day? Maybe have a news free day once in awhile? There's nothing I can do about it, anyways, …..
Well Fox News is garbage, but so are CNN and MSNBC. OAN is a whole new level of crap.

I only get info from the WHO and CDC. Ill listen to Dr. Fauci and Dr. Brix, but as soon as Trump starts talking I ignore the hell out of it.

Old 04-10-2020, 01:47 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Well Fox News is garbage, but so are CNN and MSNBC. OAN is a whole new level of crap.

I only get info from the WHO and CDC. Ill listen to Dr. Fauci and Dr. Brix, but as soon as Trump starts talking I ignore the hell out of it.
LAWL, the same WHO that said it was nothing to worry about back in January, that there was no evidence of human to human transmission, that face mask don't work, please.....LOLOLOL

Old 04-10-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
LAWL, the same WHO that said it was nothing to worry about back in January, that there was no evidence of human to human transmission, that face mask don't work, please.....LOLOLOL
Can you site each of those claims? They did say there wasn’t much evidence of a mask keeping people from getting sick, but I don’t recall them making those other claims. They weren’t entirely wrong about masks either. What the mask helps with is keeping others from spreading germs. If you’re sick and cough on me and I’m wearing a mask that isn’t an N95 and you’re not, it’s not great protection.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:23 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Can you site each of those claims? They did say there wasn’t much evidence of a mask keeping people from getting sick, but I don’t recall them making those other claims. They weren’t entirely wrong about masks either. What the mask helps with is keeping others from spreading germs. If you’re sick and cough on me and I’m wearing a mask that isn’t an N95 and you’re not, it’s not great protection.

Just one, you can do your own searches for the others, WHO = China's puppet.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152?s=20

Old 04-13-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
Just one, you can do your own searches for the others, WHO = China's puppet.

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152?s=20
I’m not going to prove your point for you. You’re the one who made the claim so the burden of proof is on you.

The WHO shouldn’t have trusted Chinese authorities but that hardly makes them chinas puppet. That tweet was also from a time when almost nothing was known of this virus.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:39 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Ever since I can remember the WHO has sucked. Not that the CDC is brilliant, it's not, but it's better than the WHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas