Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 04:12 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times

Advertisements

Oil crashed and saw its biggest one-day drop since 1991.What do y'all think this means for Texas.I know that Midland/Odessa and Houston will be very negatively impacted if this continues.I heard that hundreds of billions of debt taken out by the shale players is going to come due in the next few years.Do you think the Texas oil and gas industry is headed towards a bust???Time will only tell.::
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 04:20 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Russia and Saudi Arabia have decided to have an oil-pissing contest. That will cause a problem for marginal producers/fields and some heartburn for the industry in general, but it's a short-term situation. Market volatility is nothing new and the industry will continue to endure long-term.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I feel like it is a short term situation but will have some short term repurcussions. I am expecting my husband to get laid off temporarily but to go back to work in a few months for example.

Old 03-09-2020, 08:53 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
*shrug* Who knows? That is always the case. It could be very short, it could last a long time. To be honest, oil companies know that this can happen at any time. The Saudis and the Russians have a lot of control over this and that is just the nature of the business.

At the end of the day, the big winner will be the Chinese .

Old 03-09-2020, 10:36 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Do you think the Texas oil and gas industry is headed towards a bust???
Yes, probably. Especially if combined with an overdue coronavirus-triggered recession.

But of course no one really knows.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:03 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Texas has two different economies: Houston and the Permian area (you could throw Tyler/Longview into that as well) and most of the rest of the state, especially the I-35 Corridor.

The I-35 Corridor will just track the nation. Sitting here in Houston, I'm jealous of DFW.

Houston and the Permian may have a very bad year. A number of independent shale players may bite the dust, since their capital sources had already dried up pre-COVID19, because they weren't turning a profit. I expect upstream O&G-related manufacturing to have big layoffs. I'm sure a reduction in jobs in the field (mostly Permian). There was already an expectation of white-collar job loss in Houston in 2020, so the price crash will just magnify that.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:16 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
oil dropped into the 20's today.....cant be good for the shale plays and Midland/Houston

Old 03-17-2020, 07:06 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
My husband is trying to avoid layoffs as long as possible but we are afraid that they will be inevitable. He and his business partner are making plans to move as many employees as possible to remote work but that's going to be difficult given the nature of the company (oilfield tools manufacture and support). We've personally saved a lot of money in cash so we can weather the storm personally but it will be very stressful. We always stress to new people entering the industry to save as much money as possible because of the boom/bust cycle but most don't listen when there's a boom.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:13 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Of course it's likely that the price will return to a level where some companies can make some money. But it's likely that there will be a pretty good shakeout (bankruptcies, firm dissolutions, consolidations) if that doesn't happen within a very few months - and Russia seems to be willing to hold out. Russia seems as motivated by the desire to smash the U.S. oil industry as it is to stand up to SA.

Of course the industry will have some type of recovery eventually, but because of the poor financial shape of so many companies going into this episode, I have to think it's going to be shrunken. It will stabilize at fewer firms and fewer jobs, and lower economic output in TX.

While there's going to be layoffs, and maybe substantial ones in a non-very-short-term scenario, but at least the firms were already running leaner than they were in 2014, so there's less fat to cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas