Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 11:22 PM

256 posts, read 151,980 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all!

I recently got back from a Spring break trip to your great state. I just wanted to come on here and let everyone know how much I enjoyed it. This was my first time in Texas since a visit to Houston/Galveston as a small child, a trip I unfortunately cannot remember. It was my idea to visit this time, and my dad had existing knowledge having lived in multiple areas of Texas when he was younger, so it worked out very well overall.

We spent the first day travelling to Houston, and spent the night and the entirety of the following day there. I was blown away by how expansive it was and how much there was to do. We will certainly have to come back soon and spend a whole week there, because 1.5 days is not nearly long enough (though I think it would still take longer than a week to touch the Houston metro)! I loved the Water Wall and Galleria, and we also visited the Kemah Boardwalk both nights.

The next day was spent driving to and through Galveston, and then heading to Austin, where we stayed the night. The scenery between the Houston and Austin metros (via I-10 and TX-71), while likely not particularly stunning to many people, was beautiful to me - I enjoyed the many hills and bluebonnets. We walked around the Auditorium Shores park and got some great views of downtown during both daylight and nighttime. I found the atmosphere in Austin to be very different from Houston, but it's a cool city and I enjoyed the experience.

Our final day in Texas was actually spent travelling to Shreveport, LA by way of Dallas/Fort Worth. We took I-35W to try and get a good view of the Fort Worth downtown, and drove to Dallas similarly (we were pressed on time, otherwise we would've driven into town too) but the weather conditions were unfortunately poor for skyline viewing - rain and low-lying clouds. I look forward to coming back when the weather is hopefully better and I have more time! As with the drive between the Houston and Austin metros, I also really enjoyed the scenery between the DFW metro and the TX-LA line.

Yes, we did visit Buc-ee's - twice (Baytown and Temple). We have one here in Alabama (Robertsdale, Baldwin county), so it wasn't my first time, but I especially enjoyed all of the Texas items for sale. I found a great bluebonnet coffee mug there that I bought and brought back for my girlfriend.

Everyone I came in contact with was very friendly. I look forward to coming back someday. Thank you for having me, Texas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 01:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdLover27 View Post
Hey y'all!

I recently got back from a Spring break trip to your great state. I just wanted to come on here and let everyone know how much I enjoyed it. ... I look forward to coming back when the weather is hopefully better and I have more time! As with the drive between the Houston and Austin metros, I also really enjoyed the scenery between the DFW metro and the TX-LA line.

Yes, we did visit Buc-ee's - twice (Baytown and Temple). We have one here in Alabama (Robertsdale, Baldwin county), so it wasn't my first time, but I especially enjoyed all of the Texas items for sale. I found a great bluebonnet coffee mug there that I bought and brought back for my girlfriend.

Everyone I came in contact with was very friendly. I look forward to coming back someday. Thank you for having me, Texas!
well... get your plans made for a Bluebonnet trip! ! 1 month out, but I see a few already.
I try to hit this event (Willow City FD BBQ and auction.) https://www.visitfredericksburgtx.co...benefit/34686/
Willow City, Texas (TX)
https://txhillcountrytrail.com/plan-...llow-city-loop

Another idea... ... The Hill Country Lighting Trail is very unique and a good time to visit, but can be cold on occasion (between Thanksgiving and New Years) https://www.doggonetexas.com/festiva...-lighting.html

Fredericksburg / Luckenbach / Comfort, TX is pretty central to much in the Hill Country and full of fine B&B's.
"Christmas in Comfort" Saturday after Thanksgiving is a pretty big event.

San Antonio Riverwalk is lit for Christmas too. With music from the river boats (small Barges)

Of course there are other places to visit. Texas is pretty big. I prefer to fly / rent a car and spend more time at destination (Or drive overnight at 80 - 85 mph on rural interstate highways) I fly to ELP for Big Bend and Carlsbad loop + Ruidoso NM, If you can plan that during Balloon Fiesta (ABQ) that is pretty neat (but long ways, might be better to fly to ABQ and do NM Mtns / aspen colors at same time as Fiesta (First week in Oct).

Texas neighbors have been making frequent trips to coast for winter bird watching.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_..._Birding_Trail
https://portaransas.org/play/birding...IaAkfIEALw_wcB

Old 03-16-2020, 01:33 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,407,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdLover27 View Post
Hey y'all!

I recently got back from a Spring break trip to your great state. I just wanted to come on here and let everyone know how much I enjoyed it. This was my first time in Texas since a visit to Houston/Galveston as a small child, a trip I unfortunately cannot remember. It was my idea to visit this time, and my dad had existing knowledge having lived in multiple areas of Texas when he was younger, so it worked out very well overall.

We spent the first day travelling to Houston, and spent the night and the entirety of the following day there. I was blown away by how expansive it was and how much there was to do. We will certainly have to come back soon and spend a whole week there, because 1.5 days is not nearly long enough (though I think it would still take longer than a week to touch the Houston metro)! I loved the Water Wall and Galleria, and we also visited the Kemah Boardwalk both nights.

The next day was spent driving to and through Galveston, and then heading to Austin, where we stayed the night. The scenery between the Houston and Austin metros (via I-10 and TX-71), while likely not particularly stunning to many people, was beautiful to me - I enjoyed the many hills and bluebonnets. We walked around the Auditorium Shores park and got some great views of downtown during both daylight and nighttime. I found the atmosphere in Austin to be very different from Houston, but it's a cool city and I enjoyed the experience.

Our final day in Texas was actually spent travelling to Shreveport, LA by way of Dallas/Fort Worth. We took I-35W to try and get a good view of the Fort Worth downtown, and drove to Dallas similarly (we were pressed on time, otherwise we would've driven into town too) but the weather conditions were unfortunately poor for skyline viewing - rain and low-lying clouds. I look forward to coming back when the weather is hopefully better and I have more time! As with the drive between the Houston and Austin metros, I also really enjoyed the scenery between the DFW metro and the TX-LA line.

Im glad you had fun time in Texas,OP.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times
So glad you liked our state, OP! HURRY BACK!

Old 03-17-2020, 10:55 AM

4,990 posts, read 2,724,844 times
Thank you for visiting our great state of Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas