U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 01:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,077 posts, read 45,168,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I wouldn't recommend Kerrville. Very touristy, just like Fredericksburg. My sister lives in Kerrville as like year around, not some person who has multiple homes all over and she feels the same as I do.

Also the price given for 5+ acres is BS. She lives on less than an acre plot for that amount there.
Having grown up on a ranch near Estes Park Colorado, I probably know a thing or two about tourism, Texas 'tourists' chased us out of Colorado by 1980.

Also did deliveries to Yellowstone, Teton Natl Parks, Mt Rushmore, Black Hills, Badlands, WALL DRUG, Pioneer Village, Car Henge.. 3x / week for many yrs. Live 40 miles from Mt St Helens and 40 miles from Hood River, OR, and in CGNSA Federally protected zone. (for Heavy tourism),

Currently have business interests in Fredericksburg, Bandera, Boerne, Leakey, and Comfort, TX 3x / week.
Kerrville is definitely not tourism (only Rehab & Retirement... and worker bees ) It does have a nice Chalk festival ~ 2000 people. https://www.kerrvillechalk.org/
Youth Stockshow is by far the biggest event for drawing crowds(?)

Of course there is the annual Kerrville Folk Festival, (<1 mile from me) but it does not affect the city.

I will gladly share my tax statements with the OP, as I am directly in their desired property search with all 6 of my TX properties.
~$300k, Rural, 1-12 acres, all have multiple residences, shops, RV hook-ups, and (nice) View. The furthest from town is 6 miles. MAXIMUM property tax is $2200 for the nicest one. some are as low as $1350 annual tax (No deferrals / homestead exemptions).

Maybe your sis lives in Comanche Trace? $700k+ 2 bedrm, 5000+sf 'retirement homes' and killer HOA (no businesses / livestock / trucking / heavy equip for sure!). That is NOT the OP's desired housing sector. (but nice... http://www.comanchetrace.com/ )

I have combed much of central TX for precisely what OP is looking for. from Waco to Pleasanton, Gonzales to San Angelo I have several props on my radar at the moment.

(BTW, even tho I 'domicile; away from TX, I am often in TX far more than 'home', as I have only been 'home' 6 days so far this yr. I stay on the move. Often overseas, but in TX at least 1 week / month. (for last 23 yrs, sometime for months at a time). Much of my volunteer business and community development is in TX, CO, WY, SD, WA (when I'm in USA). Often for tourism / 'main street' / shop & employ local
https://www.rd.usda.gov/programs-services/all-programs
https://www.ruralgrocery.org/bestpra...nity_Store.pdf
https://farmfitliving.com/reasons-to-shop-local/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 04:04 PM

230 posts, read 139,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Texas is quite vast and some areas may not suit you. Our Central Texas neighbors do not have much good to say about their 40 yrs in eastern TX. Western TX neighbors are more complimentary. DFW and Houston neighbors are very happy to be gone from there.

Ymmv.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...house-rear.jpg
The fact that you say "eastern" Texas and "western" Texas is a huge red flag.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:46 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,682,766 times
Texas is quickly turning blue. If you want a reliably red conservative state that likely won't flip in your lifetime, I recommend West Virginia, Alabama, or Kentucky.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:27 PM

5,571 posts, read 1,907,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Texas is quickly turning blue. If you want a reliably red conservative state that likely won't flip in your lifetime, I recommend West Virginia, Alabama, or Kentucky.
Maybe they're moving to Texas to help stave off the blue.
If Texas goes blue, there will be no path for the GOP to ever win the presidency again.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:15 PM

1,315 posts, read 639,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The El Paso shooter was a college student from an afflluent suburb of Dallas. Alt righters are not confined by geography.

The alt right are basically a community of racist, populist internet losers. It's not the same thing as you're usual rural conservatism that seems to be the norm in much of Texas.
My experience with East TX is different. And one example as a statement for an entire movement? Please try harder.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,077 posts, read 45,168,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRiprock View Post
The fact that you say "eastern" Texas and "western" Texas is a huge red flag.
makes no 'never-mind' to me.

I'm from Colorado (a state not a continent).
Before it was ruined by Texans (from all over Texas).

I keep a few $m invested in Texas, but certainly would never attempt to claim it as home (or desire to do so).

I know my way around. Just attempting to guide the decision of a family that will arrive and call I-10 and I-35, "The 10" and "The 35" as in "The Pasadena Freeway".

Fitting into a mold or following direction has never been a specialty (or desire) of mine.

"You are either Making dust... or Eating it".

If there are 'Rules'... I'm out.

And yes... in 25+ yrs I have heard it a MILLION times (including several times today)

"That is not how we do it in Texas!" (with the BIG Duh...)

Thanks for 'the obvious' We (offenders) kindly leave it well enough alone, and try not to snicker till you walk away.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:07 AM

4,945 posts, read 5,030,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2020 View Post
and not tell your neighbors how to live.
This would be libertarian...and Texas doesn't feel very libertarian at times with its many conservative religious laws that infant do tell your people how to live.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:05 PM

17 posts, read 3,888 times
Me personally, I recommend living close to a big town. There is plenty of rural areas near big towns like Austin,Houston, or Dallas. There is no need to go to a place far away with few job opportunities and lower wages. Another place I highly recommend is Lubbock, Texas. This is a mid-size town, but it doesn't have all of the traffic drama of the bigger towns. The only problem is the winter, it does get quite cold in Lubbock.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:22 AM

6,090 posts, read 7,177,823 times
Quote:
Having grown up on a ranch near Estes Park Colorado, I probably know a thing or two about tourism, Texas 'tourists' chased us out of Colorado by 1980.

TLR - (most of it anyways).

My sister does not live in the subdivision you mentioned. I wish I could tell you more about what I know from them living there but I don't want to expose any personal details either since it is still a small town somewhat.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. EZ.....to do?

Old 03-18-2020, 08:02 PM

230 posts, read 139,172 times
Quote:
Kerrville...

For decent schools (including an excellent private university), good proximity to very nice parts of Texas (where Texan's vacation while in Texas), good climate for TX, all services, but not touristy itself, close to San Antonio and Austin (1 hr each), very accepting and nice community (not always so in Texas).
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...house-rear.jpg
What magic highway do you take to get from Kerrville to Austin in 1 hour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas