Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 02:37 PM

10 posts, read 12,118 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have two children. We want to leave California, but not really sure where to begin looking. Currently we live in Southern California in Julian, CA and Borrego Springs, CA. We drive an hour to get groceries now. We have lots of tourists which make us dislike living in these small towns. I’m a special Ed/transition teacher. My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic for the state/government now and hauls hay/does farming (I..e. Disking and tractor work) on the side.

This is what we’re looking for.
A house on on five acres or so. We’re seeking a small town in a country like setting with some amenities. We do not want it to be a tourist hub.

I’ve visited Covington and really liked it. My husband’s friend is moving to Magnolia TX and recommended Eastern Texas. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 02:43 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,050,385 times
Kentucky sounds good

Old 03-13-2020, 02:46 PM

We went to Pennyrile State Park last year on a vacation. We absolutely loved Dawson Springs area. Lots of Amish around there so it was a new experience for us! We get paid pretty well. I don’t see jobs in our industries pay as well as Texas or am I wrong?

In California I use Edjoin to find jobs. Not sure how districts post school openings in other states.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:08 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aingersoll88 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have two children. We want to leave California, but not really sure where to begin looking. Currently we live in Southern California in Julian, CA and Borrego Springs, CA. We drive an hour to get groceries now. We have lots of tourists which make us dislike living in these small towns. I’m a special Ed/transition teacher. My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic for the state/government now and hauls hay/does farming (I..e. Disking and tractor work) on the side.

This is what we’re looking for.
A house on on five acres or so. We’re seeking a small town in a country like setting with some amenities. We do not want it to be a tourist hub.

I’ve visited Covington and really liked it. My husband’s friend is moving to Magnolia TX and recommended Eastern Texas. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
whats your budget?

Old 03-13-2020, 03:09 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,433 times
You should have many options to choose from. Even small towns (3000 people or so) have grocery stores. 5 acres should not be hard to find, either.

My school district posts jobs on it's website. I'm not sure it they advertise elsewhere. We are looking for a Life Skills teacher (College Station ISD)!

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:18 PM

Wow, thanks!!

Old 03-13-2020, 03:36 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
Not sure of what your budget is, but be aware that land prices vary considerably from one part of the state to the other. The Hill Country and areas between Houston and Austin are pretty high-priced, as are areas north of DFW towards Oklahoma. The remoter parts of East Texas and non-oil areas in the western part of the state will be cheaper.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:03 PM

I’m new to this site so don’t know how to reply specifically to someone.

C24L, were thinking of a budget between $300k-$375k. My husband would love to have a little shop/detached garage so we’re looking at the yard as much as the house

Old 03-13-2020, 04:38 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,457 times
Lots of Towns west of Fort Worth will have what you’re looking for. A lot of them are still fairly rural, but still have close access to shopping and other amenities. Weatherford, Springtown, Azle would all probably work. You’re probably priced out of Aledo but it’s nice.

Granbury is a popular retirement town with a nice lake and good shopping close by. It does have a popular lake so that may not work for you. There are some smaller communities close by that might work: Stephenville, Brock, Lipan

The Hill Country is expensive and touristy

One thing to careful of, a lot of the small towns have major drug/crime problems due to poor economic conditions. There’s some north of Dallas with a high % of sex offenders also.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:44 PM

Thank you Ronnie! I forgot to mention in my initial post we fell in love with the city of Lufkin, TX. We haven’t traveled there. Does anyone have any opinions. Ronnie, you bring up a good point about drugs. That’s also a factor We want to stay away from when looking for a small town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas