Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 01:50 AM

2,495 posts, read 857,314 times

Advertisements

South Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 09:16 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,143,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aingersoll88 View Post
Thank you Ronnie! I forgot to mention in my initial post we fell in love with the city of Lufkin, TX. We haven’t traveled there. Does anyone have any opinions. Ronnie, you bring up a good point about drugs. That’s also a factor We want to stay away from when looking for a small town
That particular section of the state is probably what you’re looking for. Just be aware that their version of “conservative” is going to be FAR more alt-right than what you’re used to in Julian/Borrego/Ramona. If that’s your thing, then you’ll fit in fine.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:11 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,431,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aingersoll88 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have two children. We want to leave California, but not really sure where to begin looking. Currently we live in Southern California in Julian, CA and Borrego Springs, CA. We drive an hour to get groceries now. We have lots of tourists which make us dislike living in these small towns. I’m a special Ed/transition teacher. My husband is a heavy equipment mechanic for the state/government now and hauls hay/does farming (I..e. Disking and tractor work) on the side.

This is what we’re looking for.
A house on on five acres or so. We’re seeking a small town in a country like setting with some amenities. We do not want it to be a tourist hub.

I’ve visited Covington and really liked it. My husband’s friend is moving to Magnolia TX and recommended Eastern Texas. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Here are a few listings for Kaufman County, east of Dallas. Approximately 30-50 min commute to Downtown Dallas.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-217800-435600

Old 03-14-2020, 11:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,583 posts, read 57,526,122 times
Kerrville...

For decent schools (including an excellent private university), good proximity to very nice parts of Texas (where Texan's vacation while in Texas), good climate for TX, all services, but not touristy itself, close to San Antonio and Austin (1 hr each), very accepting and nice community (not always so in Texas). Excellent fun and educational and active churches and community activities.

We have 6 properties there, but we domicile in WA State ( also income tax free).

Our main place in Kerrville has 5+ acres, house, cabin for guests or rental, 2 detached shops (one is 40 x 70). Very park-like setting with outdoor dining area, huge scenic deck, lots of trees, large seasonal pond. Excellent for gardening or 4H animals. 6 minutes to town. Much ag / ranching / construction / heavy equipment work in region. It's market price is $350k. Taxes are currently less than $2000. PM if you want details or suggestions on our quest to find our spot(s). We may be able to save you a lot of time and grief. DW is from So. CA,. I worked frequently in Rancho Bernardo. SIL is from Julian. Friends in Ramona. Also previously lived in Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming. Always a farm kid / mechanic / Heavy Equipment repair / truck driver . Homeschooled our kids (years ago).

Texas is quite vast and some areas may not suit you. Our Central Texas neighbors do not have much good to say about their 40 yrs in eastern TX. Western TX neighbors are more complimentary. DFW and Houston neighbors are very happy to be gone from there.

Ymmv.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...house-rear.jpg

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-14-2020 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-14-2020, 11:56 AM

552 posts, read 220,991 times
Hi, I live in Tyler, Texas and it is wonderful here. I am born raised in So. Cal and I lived all over California.

Go to realtor.com and type Tyler Texas in the search bar. In filters, go to 20 miles radius and
put in your acreage to get an idea. Tyler is 80 miles from Shreveport La. and Dallas. It is
very green and treed out here, and very conservative with good jobs.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:01 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,786,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Lots of Towns west of Fort Worth will have what you’re looking for. A lot of them are still fairly rural, but still have close access to shopping and other amenities. Weatherford, Springtown, Azle would all probably work. You’re probably priced out of Aledo but it’s nice.

Granbury is a popular retirement town with a nice lake and good shopping close by. It does have a popular lake so that may not work for you. There are some smaller communities close by that might work: Stephenville, Brock, Lipan

The Hill Country is expensive and touristy

One thing to careful of, a lot of the small towns have major drug/crime problems due to poor economic conditions. There’s some north of Dallas with a high % of sex offenders also.
I live in Stephenville and there is a lot of rural property in Erath County for sale. This is dairy and horse country. Our population is 21,000 and we have a Div. 1 University. Nearby Granbury, where I lived as a child, is nice and somewhat busy with all the lake tourism. We are one hour from Fort Worth, an easy drive for entertainment and shopping.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 730,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2020 View Post
Central Texas will work - PM me if you want - we are native So Calif that got fed up 2 years ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
South Texas.
Both of these answers are jokes lol

Seriously though, we are all full up on conservatives..try arizona.

Old 03-14-2020, 07:40 PM

6,478 posts, read 7,432,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
That particular section of the state is probably what you’re looking for. Just be aware that their version of “conservative” is going to be FAR more alt-right than what you’re used to in Julian/Borrego/Ramona. If that’s your thing, then you’ll fit in fine.
Ramona and Julian are pretty darn conservative.... I doubt the culture of the majority of small Texas towns are any more right leaning.

I am in San Diego, County....Ramona feels very similar to a Central or North Texas town.

Old 03-14-2020, 10:05 PM

283 posts, read 251,997 times
Never say "eastern Texas". It's "east Texas".

Similarly, it's "west Texas", not "western Texas". But be aware that if the context is kolaches or a fertilizer plant explosion, it's probably referencing the town of West, Texas, which is kinda in no man's land between north Texas and central Texas.

It's been a while but several years ago I was in San Angelo and thought it would be a nice place to relocate someday if I was ever in such a position.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:17 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,706,264 times
I wouldn't recommend Kerrville. Very touristy, just like Fredericksburg. My sister lives in Kerrville as like year around, not some person who has multiple homes all over and she feels the same as I do.

Also the price given for 5+ acres is BS. She lives on less than an acre plot for that amount there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas