U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Face Mask
Have some 19 23.46%
Have none 18 22.22%
Use it 32 39.51%
wish had some 12 14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 02:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 1,038,361 times

Advertisements

Here is I guess what Im getting at:

Nobody wants to talk about the role of heat and humidity in the slow of spread of this virus. The data is there based on where new cases are popping up. The problem is every one who has an opinion wants to say that it will either kill the virus completely or that it will have no effect at all and neither of those statements are true. We cant rely on it, we still have to do the hard work, but it can very much help us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 03:08 PM
JL

7,735 posts, read 12,445,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Here is I guess what Im getting at:

Nobody wants to talk about the role of heat and humidity in the slow of spread of this virus. The data is there based on where new cases are popping up. The problem is every one who has an opinion wants to say that it will either kill the virus completely or that it will have no effect at all and neither of those statements are true. We cant rely on it, we still have to do the hard work, but it can very much help us.
I haven't followed Australia, but their summer was just over i think. WHO should do a study there to see how this virus did during the summer months.

Old 03-30-2020, 04:19 PM

2,403 posts, read 2,690,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Masks do very little to protect you from being exposed to the virus if you have one on but an infected person is in close proximity to you. What they do help with is for people who have the virus to not be able to spread it well.

Im assuming youve never been to Japan, Taiwan, or Singapore? The only times people wear masks there is when they are sick, not to keep from getting sick from the general public. They are much more considerate of others whereas here healthy people want to wear masks for selfish reasons (ie they dont want to get sick themselves).

As to why its not spreading as fast in other countries, there are many factors. The Japanese are perfectionists in everything they do. When they have a problem on their hands, their culture fights it with all vigor on all fronts. Taiwan shut itself off really early as did Singapore. The real question to ask is why the virus' spread is minuscule in places like Thailand, Vietnam, and the Philippines where wearing masks is extremely uncommon even when people are sick. COVID-19 also popped up earlier in each of those countries than it did in Europe, the population densities are much higher, and the resources to fight it are far fewer. One could argue that Vietnam did take some early precautions but that definitely was not the case in Thailand or the Philippines.

Thats inevitably when people say "but its now starting to spread like crazy!". No, it isnt. Heres some perspective for you:

New cases reported in the last 72 hours per country:

US: 39,841
Spain: 24,818
Italy: 18,086
Germany: 16,039
France: 12,225
Iran: 8,931
UK: 7,650

vs. Southeast Asia:

Thailand: 454
Philippines: 439
Indonesia: 365
Singapore: 171
Vietnam: 38

and again the virus is older in each of these countries than any country in Europe so the argument that "its just now taking off" is pure garbage.
According to Professor Kim Woo-Ju of Korea University College of Medicine mask are very effective. Of course you have to also practice social distancing along with washing hands to avoid catching the virus but mask are very effective. He also broke down the science of why mask are very effective and why the West is more than likely encouraging not to wear mask.

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU
Now I’m more inclined to believe one of the leading experts in a country that’s doing it better than any other country moreso than the experts in the West that’s short on supplies.

Old 03-30-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
According to Professor Kim Woo-Ju of Korea University College of Medicine mask are very effective. Of course you have to also practice social distancing along with washing hands to avoid catching the virus but mask are very effective. He also broke down the science of why mask are very effective and why the West is more than likely encouraging not to wear mask.

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU
Now I’m more inclined to believe one of the leading experts in a country that’s doing it better than any other country moreso than the experts in the West that’s short on supplies.
That’s your prerogative. I personally will not unless that becomes the recommendation of a group of global scientists. Even then, while I can see the value of wearing the to the market, there’s no way in hell I’ll be wearing them to go for a run around my neighborhood or sit in my front yard. If you wish to more power to you.

I’d be more inclined to believe the WHO any other group because they are global. Trump slashed the CDC funding when he came into office so I believe they are doing the best they can.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:58 AM

53,062 posts, read 41,698,935 times
I have a few N95 masks but I'm saving them for in case one of our household gets sick. I also just ordered some cloth masks and a sanitizer for masks. Better than nothing.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:14 AM
JL

Effectiveness of face mask types:

N95(95-99%), surgical/medical(80%),regular mask like fashion/ninja/kpop(70%),DYI face mask dish towel(60%), DYI face mask cotton fabric(50%), bandana(30%)

Old 04-02-2020, 07:22 AM

9,160 posts, read 9,125,350 times
Wife made some double layer masks from tight weave cloth - inserted a wire to pinch fit over the nose, and has plenty of elastic for the ear loops.
Better than nothing and they really help filter the nasty pollen blowing around.

Old 04-02-2020, 10:19 AM

3,606 posts, read 7,004,754 times
I would think that even a very simple cloth mask would offer some limited protection. If you play D&D, maybe it would be like leather armor instead of plate. Not ideal, but lots better than nothing at all. It just seems like cloth alone could prevent some of the outlier possibilities. Lets say you are walking (unknowingly) 6 feet from a person who is about to sneeze. You are about to catch the outer fringes of the droplet cloud. The tiniest of the aerosol particles would not make it that far. I would think cloth alone would offer some kind of +1 modifier to your odds. It just would not be as useful if you were 1 foot away.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:29 PM
JL

Can I just wake up from this dream? Smh...buy any face mask you can get your hands on!

Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/healt...ter/index.html

Old 04-02-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Can I just wake up from this dream? Smh...buy any face mask you can get your hands on!

Experts tell White House coronavirus can spread through talking or even just breathing

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/02/healt...ter/index.html
No, dont buy any mask you can get your hands on. Buy a few for yourself if you need, do not hoard them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas