U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Face Mask
Have some 19 23.46%
Have none 18 22.22%
Use it 32 39.51%
wish had some 12 14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2020, 03:16 PM
 
8,269 posts, read 6,564,620 times
Reputation: 12049

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I wonder if it's ok to walk into a bank wearing a face mask during this pandemic?

Great point. I actually bought a mask off of Amazon in the event that a government decree is enacted as has happened in other places. It's one of those V for Vendetta masks. Figured I might as well have a little fun while we are living in our trainee police state.



Normally, the authorities do not look kindly on public mask wearing. Until a few days ago we were told that wearing a mask was pointless and would not help protect us. Now it is very important that we wear one. Evidently most people have the memories of fruit flies and don't remember we were told told for weeks that masks don't protect from the virus. Or they just blindly do whatever the government says.


The great mask 180 degree flip-flop suggests that, at best, the various local, state and federal levels of government have no idea what they are doing. Worst case is they know they have totally lost control of the situation and are now using the masks as a way to prevent widespread panic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2020, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
2,368 posts, read 2,673,708 times
Reputation: 2921
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
You mean like how well masks have worked out for the Japanese?

https://www.foxnews.com/world/japan-...o-self-isolate
The Professor is in South Korea, maybe you should look at the video before using Japan as an example and singling out one of my post that was clearly in reference to the previous post about the precautions they took in S.Korea. And for the record Japan responded to the virus a lot like the clumsy ass West. Which is why they’re seeing a surge in new cases. The difference though is Japan is more prepared to handle a pandemic more so than America. This article does a much better job at explaining Japan’s response to the crises than the Fox article you posted up.

https://www.vox.com/covid-19-coronav...ths-quarantine

Right now Japan is sitting at 3,906 cases/80 deaths/622 recovered/31.1 cases per 1.1 million ppl. America has 392,285 cases/12,627 deaths/1,190.34 cases per 1 million ppl and here you are talking about Japan?
Typical lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2020, 06:56 PM
Status: "Blasphemer of all Religion" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Houston, TX
2,606 posts, read 1,000,263 times
Reputation: 3537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The Professor is in South Korea, maybe you should look at the video before using Japan as an example and singling out one of my post that was clearly in reference to the previous post about the precautions they took in S.Korea. And for the record Japan responded to the virus a lot like the clumsy ass West. Which is why they’re seeing a surge in new cases. The difference though is Japan is more prepared to handle a pandemic more so than America. This article does a much better job at explaining Japan’s response to the crises than the Fox article you posted up.

https://www.vox.com/covid-19-coronav...ths-quarantine

Right now Japan is sitting at 3,906 cases/80 deaths/622 recovered/31.1 cases per 1.1 million ppl. America has 392,285 cases/12,627 deaths/1,190.34 cases per 1 million ppl and here you are talking about Japan?
Typical lol
Fox and Vox. Far left and far right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2020, 07:27 PM
 
9,610 posts, read 10,231,140 times
Reputation: 8396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The Professor is in South Korea, maybe you should look at the video before using Japan as an example and singling out one of my post that was clearly in reference to the previous post about the precautions they took in S.Korea. And for the record Japan responded to the virus a lot like the clumsy ass West. Which is why they’re seeing a surge in new cases. The difference though is Japan is more prepared to handle a pandemic more so than America. This article does a much better job at explaining Japan’s response to the crises than the Fox article you posted up.

https://www.vox.com/covid-19-coronav...ths-quarantine

Right now Japan is sitting at 3,906 cases/80 deaths/622 recovered/31.1 cases per 1.1 million ppl. America has 392,285 cases/12,627 deaths/1,190.34 cases per 1 million ppl and here you are talking about Japan?
Typical lol
Yes. Tokyo is seeing a second round of CV-19.

SK didn't "succeed" against CV-19 because of masks. They did better than us because of A. much more early testing B. contact tracing per the results of those tests in order to give even more tests and C. more or less quarantining the sick and sometimes quarantining those who were simply exposed.


As you are biased against FOX vis a vis Tokyo's new state of emergency.

BBC:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52184375

NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/w...emergency.html


____________________

My son is like you know a real doctor working on CV-19 patients daily in NYC. Here is his run down on masks.

1. Nearly no one wears them properly. Even medical people struggle with N-95 types.
2. A person sick with CV-19 whether they know it or not will indeed spread a little less virus wearing even a surgical mask.
3. A person wearing a surgical mask as protection from others is akin to slipping some panty-hose over your head, diving into the ocean and expecting your hair to stay dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2020, 08:47 PM
 
99 posts, read 26,348 times
Reputation: 174
For now, everyone should consider themselves as a possible carrier and distancing/hygiene/masks should be used to minimize the spread and burden on healthcare system. America doesn’t have perfect prevention, medicines, ventilators, treatment or understanding of the virus at this point nor does our government or healthcare system is prepared to handle more chaos. More increased interaction would increase viral load and intensity of the disease. DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO SLOW IT DOWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2020, 09:16 PM
 
9,610 posts, read 10,231,140 times
Reputation: 8396
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDivine View Post
For now, everyone should consider themselves as a possible carrier and distancing/hygiene/masks should be used to minimize the spread and burden on healthcare system. America doesn’t have perfect prevention, medicines, ventilators, treatment or understanding of the virus at this point nor does our government or healthcare system is prepared to handle more chaos. More increased interaction would increase viral load and intensity of the disease. DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO SLOW IT DOWN.
And the problem is so many people who wear masks believe they are insulating themselves from CV-19 in ways they aren't. In other words social distancing works. Masks don't work well at all as an active defense. I don't want people running to Wal-Mart etc. thinking they are good to go because they have on a surgical mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2020, 07:20 AM
 
99 posts, read 26,348 times
Reputation: 174
That is a concern but instead of keep saying why masks are useless, tell why using mask is absolutely necessary in conjunction with other hygiene practices when there is an UNAVOIDABLE and ESSENTIAL interaction with another person. Mask isn’t an alternative to social distancing or staying home.

At the same time, emphasize crucial value of staying home and maintaining social distance. You may give the idea that people shouldn’t use masks and it’s not worth bothering. Anything is better than nothing if it can slow down infection spread even 1%. Same goes for gloves, if used smartly, they are useful but used carelessly, just a false sense of security.

Last edited by DDivine; 04-08-2020 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2020, 12:06 AM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
2,368 posts, read 2,673,708 times
Reputation: 2921
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yes. Tokyo is seeing a second round of CV-19.

SK didn't "succeed" against CV-19 because of masks. They did better than us because of A. much more early testing B. contact tracing per the results of those tests in order to give even more tests and C. more or less quarantining the sick and sometimes quarantining those who were simply exposed.


As you are biased against FOX vis a vis Tokyo's new state of emergency.

BBC:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52184375

NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/w...emergency.html


____________________

My son is like you know a real doctor working on CV-19 patients daily in NYC. Here is his run down on masks.

1. Nearly no one wears them properly. Even medical people struggle with N-95 types.
2. A person sick with CV-19 whether they know it or not will indeed spread a little less virus wearing even a surgical mask.
3. A person wearing a surgical mask as protection from others is akin to slipping some panty-hose over your head, diving into the ocean and expecting your hair to stay dry.
No **** just wearing a mask won't keep you from catching the virus. It's a combination of social distancing + wearing the proper mask+ washing your hands before you touch your face(eyes, mouth , nose).

It's exactly what the South Korean professor stated in the video if you actually watched the video and not take one sentence out of context.

And i'm not biased against FOX news, but it simply didn't give enough detail as to why the virus is spreading in Tokyo. Nobody is even saying SIMPLY wearing face mask is all you need to avoid the virus. Work on your comprehension skills man. You got more than enough time since we're sheltering in place.

And healthcare workers are more at risk even with mask on because their exposed to patients much more and they don't have a history of dealing with these situations more so than Asian countries.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/coro...lysts-say.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2020, 04:13 AM
 
17 posts, read 2,521 times
Reputation: 29
There is so much confusion around masks from the conflation of two very different functions of masks - ingress and egress.

Masks can be worn to protect the wearer from getting infected or masks can be worn to protect others from being infected by the wearer. Protecting the wearer is difficult: It requires medical-grade respirator masks, a proper fit, and careful putting on and taking off. Unfortunately this is probably what a majority of the public believe is why they should wear a mask. But masks can also be worn to prevent transmission to others, and this is their most important use for society. I also have mouth cloth mask from Hopikas.

Remember, new infections start from people who are already infected and mask wearing can help prevent them spreading the disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2020, 09:58 AM
 
99 posts, read 26,348 times
Reputation: 174
Face mask is one part of the strategy to minimize the spread of the communicable diseases and decrease the high viral load leading to adversity of the disease. With social distancing and hand hygiene, we can decrease chances of spread, which helps us, people around us, healthcare system and our livelihoods. A well fitted N95 is the best options but carefully worn surgical and cloth masks also decrease the spread.

These are simple steps, everyone can practice. When it’s necessary to go out, cover face at least with DIY masks, wash hands often with soap and water. Use alcohol and lotion to make hand sanitizer for when washing hands not possible or just carry a bottle of soapy water and paper napkins. Cleanliness doesn’t require much effort or money and it saves you from many communicable infections not only COVID-19.

If you want to buy sanitizing products or masks which provide higher protection or style or help you make a statement then Internet is filled with options.

Do the best you can to do your part in keeping your community safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top