U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Face Mask
Have some 19 23.46%
Have none 18 22.22%
Use it 32 39.51%
wish had some 12 14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 12:43 PM

20,872 posts, read 5,268,287 times

Advertisements

I use masks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 11:33 AM

9,107 posts, read 9,091,930 times
Anyone who is not wearing a mask properly inside public venues is either being very selfish or not very smart.

Outdoors may be a different story, at least where smart people actually employ social distancing protocols.

But we have seen too many bodies packed to the newly reopened places who are behaving as if nothing has been going on. I think those people are ignorant or just stupid & arrogant.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
25,214 posts, read 43,010,343 times
Most in our county (near Bexar) refuse to wear masks and take the "Whole Family" shopping.

While wearing one I often get remarks "Not required here, as we have few cases!"

OK, ... and we have had a 500% increase in cases in past 2 weeks.

Great 'logic' (?)

The PROUD, the fearless, the _ _ _ _ _ _.

We should have masks printed with...
"I am wearing this out of respect for YOU!"

As we know the mask does not protect the wearer. just the 'recipients' / contacts that are exposed to the one wearing the mask.

Old 05-26-2020, 09:15 PM

99 posts, read 26,348 times
I don’t consider most to be stupid, selfish or ignorant, just misguided. There is so much confusion and controversy around every thing. Government, healthcare workers, insurance companies, hospitals, politicians, religious preachers, colleges, employers, businesses, sports coaches, teachers, racial discrimination activists and other influential people should promote safety tips of safe distancing, hand washing and face covering. These are small, inexpensive and low effort actions but they make all of us safer. It is a communicable disease, I protect you, you protect me, we protect each other’s loved ones. Even if you consider yourself invincible (none of us humans really are), do it out of goodness of your heart for ones who are more susceptible.

Yes, go out and take care of necessary tasks, don’t live in fear, protect your rights and freedom, be brave but also be sensible and considerate. Even if you consider masks/distancing/washing an illusion of safety(they are much more), do it to comfort others in a time of anxiety for all.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:35 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,947,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDivine View Post
I don’t consider most to be stupid, selfish or ignorant, just misguided. There is so much confusion and controversy around every thing. Government, healthcare workers, insurance companies, hospitals, politicians, religious preachers, colleges, employers, businesses, sports coaches, teachers, racial discrimination activists and other influential people should promote safety tips of safe distancing, hand washing and face covering. These are small, inexpensive and low effort actions but they make all of us safer. It is a communicable disease, I protect you, you protect me, we protect each other’s loved ones. Even if you consider yourself invincible (none of us humans really are), do it out of goodness of your heart for ones who are more susceptible.

Yes, go out and take care of necessary tasks, don’t live in fear, protect your rights and freedom, be brave but also be sensible and considerate. Even if you consider masks/distancing/washing an illusion of safety(they are much more), do it to comfort others in a time of anxiety for all.
In my observation, the initial public dialogue around face coverings was discussing what could protect the wearer. It is true that most face coverings aren't very effective at filtering out any virus that may be floating in the air. It is true that we have a PPE shortage to where we're better off saving N95s for healthcare workers.

But the situation in many Asian countries vs. Western countries has made it very apparent that though most face coverings aren't 100% effective, the marginal gains are significant and crucial to bringing this situation under control. Face coverings are more about protecting others from your germs than protecting yourself from others' germs. They filter out some of the infected droplets you may be breathing out, and they slow down the infected droplets so that they fall to the ground at a much faster rate and don't get suspended in the air. When you look at the contact tracing done in Asian countries and other clusters like the choir in Seattle, it becomes quite obvious that this virus is airborne in "stuffy" air, that we should be wearing face coverings when sharing indoors public space.

I can't speak for Texas, but the messaging in Colorado has been very consistent on this since early April, and there's no confusion apart from those who choose to be. There's a large segment of American culture that consists of normalized narcissism that would be seen as dysfunctional in most of the world. Any confusion or flaunting of face coverings comes from that mentality.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:29 PM

9,612 posts, read 10,231,140 times
WHO announced yesterday that only those proximate to someone known to have CV-19 should wear masks.

Listen people the pros aren't even sure where CV-19 airborne transmission fits on the aerosol vs. droplet continuum. Best guess is we are going to find that anything short of an N-95 mask worn perfectly is more feel good than do good.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:12 PM

If you actually view the video, doctor is referring to surgical masks not fabric face coverings, saying surgical masks should be reserved for health care providers and family members caring for COVID patients. Sounds like recommendations were based on availability rather than actual efficacy. WHO has changed stance many times and it covers poor third world countries as well so take that with a grain of salt and the best mask you can find or afford.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:12 PM

1,818 posts, read 877,683 times
We’ve been wearing them in stores but not while out and about or when we do things like go through the drive-thru or curbside pickup for stores or restaurants.

Fewer people have been wearing them from what I’m noticed in Frisco.

Old 05-30-2020, 04:19 PM

12,466 posts, read 7,348,676 times
I don't wear them outside. I wear them to the grocery store or anyplace inside. I was pretty miserable today in one, it's getting hot. I'll try, but doubtful I can handle it when it's 105.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:41 PM

It’s annoying to wear a face mask in summer but not nearly as much as intubation or ventilator.

In the setting of community spread and asymptomatic transmission, CDC has made new recommendations to use eye protection. Beginning Monday, June 1, eye protection will be required for all direct patient interaction/contact regardless of a patient’s known COVID status. Eye protection is required in all patient care rooms, tests and treatments. This includes screeners, registrars, etc. If this is any sign, add a face shield or safety google on top of your mask when seeing a barber, cosmetologist, dentist, optician etc and when you can’t, postpone the appointment if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas