U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Face Mask
Have some 19 23.46%
Have none 18 22.22%
Use it 32 39.51%
wish had some 12 14.81%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 08:56 PM

99 posts, read 26,424 times

Advertisements

Any of you acquired or used home made masks, surgical masks, face shields, construction/sanitation/dentist mask or N95 masks? Obviously, masks are no guarantee but as a protective layer to decrease your probability of giving or getting it from someone undiagnosed or asymptomatic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 12:08 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,845,501 times
I couldn’t find any masks. We went on, our first ever, fully paid non-refundable cruise over Spring Break - early break, left 3/7, any later and we would have not gone. Since I couldn’t find masks by late February, I bought bandanna “gators” that can cover your mouth and nose. My son always got them at church camp oddly enough. I’m very “ touchy” and so are my kids. The idea is you can’t touch your face with the mask, bandana, on while you’re out and about. Once home, disinfect your hands and take it off. We didn’t need it on the ship but I’m real close to wearing them if I have to go to the store now.

Ladies in my neighborhood are posting on Nextdoor that they are making fabric masks as “last resort” options for medical professionals. Thankfully, I live in a very giving area.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,947,615 times
In theory, it would be great if we could all have the masks. If we all acted like we had the virus and took the precautions to keep spreading it, then the transmission rates would decrease significantly.

Buuuuttt, hospitals in parts of the country are already reusing masks and running out of PPE, so every one that’s being worn by the general public could be the difference between successful treatment of COVID patients and medical professionals spreading it to other hospital patients and/or staff. Particularly vulnerable populations like those with a compromised immune system, pre-existing conditions, or advanced age shouldn’t feel the need to worry about that IMHO, but healthy people wearing N95 masks that are needed for medical professionals is exacerbating the problem.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 AM

N95 should be reserved for health workers and if anyone has some, do donate it to your nearest hospital.

If you have home made or store bought standard face masks then wear them if you have to go outside for emergency needs. If none available then try bandana or scarf on face, cover hair as well, wear gloves or at least wash hands before and after your trip. Leave shoes at the door on in garage, wash up and change once home. It will take whole village to act responsibly to get rid of this virus.

Avoid going out unless you have to, keep six foot distance when you go for jog. No get together until its under control.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:48 AM

32 posts, read 23,745 times
I have a few I bought last year for air dusting the coils under my refrigerator. They aren't N95 though so I don't know if they're even useful for a virus. If I grocery shop every 2 weeks I'm ok for 6 weeks. I looked online & the soonest delivery I could find was mid-April from Amazon because they were all out of stock.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,047 times
Mask will not protect you from viruses. You can use scarf, bandana or sew a mask. Anyone who have got a sewing machine can sew a mask by themselves

Old 03-25-2020, 07:31 PM

2,219 posts, read 4,504,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbalou60 View Post
I have a few I bought last year for air dusting the coils under my refrigerator. They aren't N95 though so I don't know if they're even useful for a virus.
Even the N95 is totally effective against COVID-19.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM

If a mask can decrease your possibility of giving or catching Corona or any other virus even few percent, it’s good enough to decrease burden on hospitals and in slowing down the spread. These aren’t times to be picky for 100% satisfaction, do what we can. If you have some ready made ones, can sew some or get someone to 3-D print it, it’s better than taking N-95 away from health workers facing higher vulnerability.

Mask or no mask, wash hands, social distance, don’t touch your face, cover with a scarf, stay healthy.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:35 PM

2,219 posts, read 4,504,370 times
Above I meant to say the N 95 is not totally effective. The "95" stands for 95%.

Check this scale out:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topi...t/default.html

Select a type of respirator to see all approved models:
N95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.
(N95 Manufacturers Index: 3M A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z)

Surgical N95 – A NIOSH-approved N95 respirator that has also been cleared by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a surgical mask.

N99 – Filters at least 99% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.

N100 – Filters at least 99.97% of airborne particles. Not resistant to oil.

R95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Somewhat resistant to oil.

P95 – Filters at least 95% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.

P99 – Filters at least 99% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.

P100 – Filters at least 99.97% of airborne particles. Strongly resistant to oil.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:16 AM
JL

7,706 posts, read 12,423,111 times
I have some masks that I got from Asia...for pollution and such....not medical ones.Also some kpop ones...don’t buy ones for medical pros since they need them. Any other mask will be good enough for general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas