U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 04:48 PM

561 posts, read 278,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
e-qui-vo-ca-tion: deliberate evasiveness in wording - the use of ambiguous or equivocal language

The scale and avoidability of deaths is so different that they aren’t the same risk assessment. It’s a completely invalid comparison.
What is evasive or ambigious about my wording? I've said very clearly that all of us are willing to sacrifice lives for the economy. My proof is the fact that we don't go into lockdown during flu season.

I agree the scale and avoidability is different, but people still die during flu season and some of those deaths could be avoided with a lockdown, however, we all (as a country) choose the economy over saving those lives.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Maybe a New York right wing extremist can show some on the Texas thread how to think about coronavirus.
What is the relevance of pointing out what state this person is from versus what state people in this thread are from?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:58 PM

3,756 posts, read 7,051,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
What is evasive or ambigious about my wording? I've said very clearly that all of us are willing to sacrifice lives for the economy. My proof is the fact that we don't go into lockdown during flu season.

I agree the scale and avoidability is different, but people still die during flu season and some of those deaths could be avoided with a lockdown, however, we all (as a country) choose the economy over saving those lives.
This is the same as someone insisting that the yearly severe storm season and a category 5 hurricane approaching a large city are the same because they’re both “dangerous weather”. It’s a completely meaningless statement.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
This is the same as someone insisting that the yearly severe storm season and a category 5 hurricane approaching a large city are the same because they’re both “dangerous weather”. It’s a completely meaningless statement. It’s so stupid you should honestly be embarrassed, but I like rehashing it so that people who come on in the later pages can see just how painfully lacking you are.
I've said countless time that I agree they are not the same.

However, people die during flu season and some of those deaths could be prevented if we were to shut down the economy every year, correct?

Old 03-31-2020, 05:03 PM

10,627 posts, read 6,155,085 times
Quote:
e-qui-vo-ca-tion: deliberate evasiveness in wording - the use of ambiguous or equivocal language

The scale and avoidability of deaths is so different that they aren’t the same risk assessment. It’s a completely invalid comparison.
The argument isn't equivocation, it is a non sequitur. The logic doesn't follow.

Some have also stated we have 40,000 automobile deaths and we don't stop people from driving cars. That is also a non-sequitur. No matter how many accidents happen in one state, it doesn't follow that they continue to accelerate every single day.

In the case of flu, we have a tremendous amount of vaccine available that is unavailable for coronavirus, that is if you listen to anyone but Trump. And Trump was once an anti-vaxxer, who has changed his mind (go figure!!) in recent years:

Before winning the presidency, Trump several times alleged there was a link between the number of vaccines children get in early infancy and the development of autism.

Quote:
On the otherwise tumultuous day of Donald Trump's presidential victory, many members of the anti-vaccination movement let out a sigh of relief. One of their own, they seemed to believe, was headed to the White House.

Anti-vaccinationists say a lot of things that aren't true, but this particular claim happened to be based in reality. In public statements going back more than a decade, Trump has alleged a connection — for which no evidence exists — between childhood vaccines and the onset of autism.

"When I was growing up, autism wasn't really a factor," Trump told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in 2007. "And now all of a sudden, it's an epidemic … My theory is the shots. We're giving these massive injections at one time, and I really think it does something to the children." He has repeated this theory on Twitter, television, and debate stages.
https://www.insider.com/how-donald-t...tionist-2019-9

Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
What is the relevance of pointing out what state this person is from versus what state people in this thread are from?
It shows the difference between a THINKING right wing extremist, and the obviously non-thinking Lt. Governor of Texas.

Contrasts are a valuable perspective for those who think.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,436,588 times
Quote:
Considering ventilators and monitoring are basically the only treatments available currently, the number of ventilators is effectively the capacity. It’s the limiting factor.
Until enough ventilators are available, and something else becomes a limiting factor - like labor or beds. I'm not dismissing the capacity concerns of the health care system; it is why we need the current SAH orders.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
It shows the difference between a THINKING right wing extremist, and the obviously non-thinking Lt. Governor of Texas.

Are you disputing what even the White House says--"We are all in this together?"

Old 03-31-2020, 05:09 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,436,588 times
Quote:

While the statement from our (in my opinion, loser idiot) Lt. Governor was execrable, he did hit on the valid point that at some point our country will decide on accepting a level of sickness and fatalities from COVID-19 in order to restart the economy. (As they say, even a blind pig finds an acorn...) Vaccine and treatment or not.

The flu comparison IS VALID because even with treatment and vaccine, it still kills a pretty fair number of folks, and we have decided to accept that. The fact that there's treatment and vaccine is not really relevant to thinking people.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Are you disputing what even the White House says--"We are all in this together?"
I agree contrasting opinions are valuable, I was just wondering why we needed to know what state these opinions came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or