U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 12:48 PM

553 posts, read 129,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
I wonder if anybody even listened to what he said. He said he would be willing to risk this virus if it means his grandkids will get a chance at the American dream like he did, and he thinks that other people his age will be willing to do the same. He doesn't "want" people to die. This is why Democrats are losing all credibility.
I did listen to what he said. He was suggesting that everyone else adopt the same attitude that he has. He may not want people to die but he wouldn't care if they did, as long as his stock portfolio does not crash.
Dan Patrick knows that if he gets sick, he will get the best healthcare possible.
Dan Patrick knows that if he gets the virus, he will get on a ventilator. You on the other hand, might not get one.
These politicians don't have to worry about getting the virus. They will survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 12:51 PM

553 posts, read 129,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I understand the differences between the flu and COVID19.

With that said, is it possible to reduce the number of deaths by going into a lockdown until the virus naturally disappears?
lockdown will get the virus well under control and manageable. It won't completely disappear.

But the USA won't impose the kinds of sanctions that other countries do, so it will be impossible.

The number of confirmed cases in the USA went up yesterday by 10,000.

Do you any of you have any idea what this means?

Anyone?

People, pull your heads out of the sand. Before it's too late.

And when 80% of our population is sick, we won't be able to work and support Wall Street anyway. Although I've no doubt the Republicans will try to pass laws forcing people to work.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:54 PM

13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
Confirmed cases is irrelevant, really. Fatalities and ICU cases are the relevant metric, because they are independent of testing.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:56 PM

509 posts, read 248,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
My view is that society has generally achieved an unspoken agreement about sacrificing lives from the flu (though many would never admit that) based on what we've become used to as far as virulence, ability to spread etc. I wonder if it would change if a new strain of flu arrived next season that had more of COVID-19's characteristics in this regard.

EDIT: I would include our ability to blunt the impact of influenza via vaccines and treatment as well as far as what we've grown used to. But of course, a lot of folks still die from it, and we're willing to tolerate it in terms of government policy.
The media is also generally pretty quiet about all the deaths that occur each year from the flu, so people are also unaware of the severity of it. Honestly, until COVID19 came up, I was pretty unaware of how many people died from it, and I also was completely unaware of the fact that me getting a flu shot could help slow the spread and potentially save lives.

But back to your point, yes, it isn't something people like to admit, but I would personally want to keep the economy going every flu season instead of shutting it down to save lives. It sounds heartless and awful, but that's just where I stand.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:58 PM

14,603 posts, read 10,588,274 times
Sigh - the world is divided into people who have endowed rights, and those who would deny those rights for their own benefit.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I did listen to what he said. He was suggesting that everyone else adopt the same attitude that he has. He may not want people to die but he wouldn't care if they did, as long as his stock portfolio does not crash.
Dan Patrick knows that if he gets sick, he will get the best healthcare possible.
Dan Patrick knows that if he gets the virus, he will get on a ventilator. You on the other hand, might not get one.
These politicians don't have to worry about getting the virus. They will survive.
The Economy is much more than some rich persons portfolio. A bad economy affects the well being of the entire nation, so we can't really take this 'lock down' lightly.

With that said, I am in support of the current lock down, but I realize the negative effects of a shut down economy as well.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:01 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,352,929 times
Quote:
The media is also generally pretty quiet about all the deaths that occur each year from the flu, so people are also unaware of the severity of it. Honestly, until COVID19 came up, I was pretty unaware of how many people died from it, and I also was completely unaware of the fact that me getting a flu shot could help slow the spread and potentially save lives.

But back to your point, yes, it isn't something people like to admit, but I would personally want to keep the economy going every flu season instead of shutting it down to save lives. It sounds heartless and awful, but that's just where I stand.
Exactly, society at large has clearly said that keeping the economy going (in addition to reduction in personal inconvenience) is worth flu deaths. We will probably get to that point with COVID-19 as well, and maybe before there's a vaccine.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:06 PM

753 posts, read 392,032 times
Quote:

Where do you draw the line?

Old 03-25-2020, 01:09 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,352,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Technically, we face that question every flu season when a new variant circulates, yes?

Old 03-25-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
That's a good question.

I guess my answer to that is I'm okay keeping the economy running as long as our healthcare system isn't overloaded. That seems to be the same stance world leaders have, and I trust their decision (for the most part).

It's not really something done extensive thinking on, since I'm not an expert on disease or the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or