U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 02:27 PM

517 posts, read 252,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
So even if those lives included your family members you would still let them die? and die of something that could have been easily prevented had we locked down? simple yes or no
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ridiculous comparison.

In addition to the flu being less fatal and much older, there is a vaccine and antiviral treatment for the flu. We have none of the above for Coronavirus.
Yes, but we can save more lives with a lockdown during flu season, correct? Why don't we lockdown during flu season? It seems the answer is, is that people are fine choosing the economy over SOME (~15,000 a year) deaths, but when that number starts to rise, then they will choose saving lives over the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 02:31 PM

771 posts, read 399,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post

I draw the line at the point where the healthcare system is overwhelmed.
Would you be in favor of government intervention if any disease would cause a healthcare system to be overwhelmed and government intervention prevented this?

Old 03-25-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Would you be in favor of government intervention if any disease would cause a healthcare system to be overwhelmed and government intervention prevented this?
Yes, this is why I'm in support of the current lock down.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:45 PM

2,699 posts, read 1,035,907 times
Quote:
Yes, but we can save more lives with a lockdown during flu season, correct? Why don't we lockdown during flu season? It seems the answer is, is that people are fine choosing the economy over SOME (~15,000 a year) deaths, but when that number starts to rise, then they will choose saving lives over the economy.
Its because we dont know what were up against. We have no treatment, we have no vaccine, and we dont even understand the full scope of the virus.

With the flu, we have all of the above. People know what it is, what the risks are, and how to treat it.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Its because we dont know what were up against. We have no treatment, we have no vaccine, and we dont even understand the full scope of the virus.

With the flu, we have all of the above. People know what it is, what the risks are, and how to treat it.
Yes. We know the flu will likely kill X amount of people each year, we accept that, and choose the economy over saving additional lives.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:21 PM

2,699 posts, read 1,035,907 times
Quote:
Yes. We know the flu will likely kill X amount of people each year, we accept that, and choose the economy over saving additional lives.
By this logic, do you also suggest we ban driving because a large number of people die in car accidents?

We have preventative measures against the flu. We dont against the Coronavirus. Thats why these actions are being taken.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
By this logic, do you also suggest we ban driving because a large number of people die in car accidents?
Of course not. I don't suggest we shut down the economy during flu season and I also don't suggest we ban driving.

Quote:
We have preventative measures against the flu. We dont against the Coronavirus. Thats why these actions are being taken.
I get why these actions are being taken. I'm simply pointing out that, in the case of the flu, we choose the economy over saving lives.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,104,869 times
Quote:
I'm talking hard numbers. Sorry if my question isn't clear enough:

Question: Will less people (numerically) die from the flu (not COVID19) each year if we went on a 'lock down'?
Answer: Yes or No? (A simple one word response will do).

Optional: If 'Yes', then do you support a 'lock down' every year during flu season. Why or why not?
THis thread is about COVID-19, not the flu. Stop changing the subject and start another thread about a flu lockdown if you wish to discuss that.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:39 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,104,869 times
Quote:
Nobody seems to want to answer my question.

I'm starting to think it's because people are in support of sacrificing lives for the Economy in the case of the flu, but that would be hypocritical of them to admit.
Maybe because we think your question is annoying and stupid.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
THis thread is about COVID-19, not the flu. Stop changing the subject and start another thread about a flu lockdown if you wish to discuss that.
It's also about "sacrificing lives for the Economy". Something all of us are in support of (to an extent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or