Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 10:45 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I understand that COVID19 is way more severe than the flu.

However, people do still die from the flu. Can't we go on lockdown to reduce those deaths? It's a seasonal virus, no? Meaning we could shut down until the weather warms up and the virus disappears?
Society has adapted and can still function with the flu. If you have the flu, you dang well know it, and you can stay home to spare your friends and family and coworkers. Hence the flu does not typically spread in epidemic proportions.

None of that applies to the coronavirus. Apples to oranges in terms of all kinds of factors. You are just looking at one factor (mortality) when there are many more to consider. It's like comparing a jumping spider to a mount of fire ants in terms of whose sting/bite is the worst if you poke it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 10:46 AM

577 posts, read 457,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Society has adapted and can still function with the flu. If you have the flu, you dang well know it, and you can stay home to spare your friends and family and coworkers. Hence the flu does not typically spread in epidemic proportions.

None of that applies to the coronavirus. Apples to oranges in terms of all kinds of factors. You are just looking at one factor when there are many more to consider.
I understand the differences between the flu and COVID19.

With that said, is it possible to reduce the number of deaths by going into a lockdown until the virus naturally disappears?

Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
I actually say this same thing in my first post:
"On a slightly related note, I wonder how many lives are being saved by 'flattening the curve'. My understanding of 'flattening the curve' is that we are mainly trying to spread out the deaths, not necessarily prevent them. Although by spreading them out, we don't overwhelm the healthcare system and we can save more lives in the process, but I just wonder what the number of deaths look like whether we flatten the curve or not."
It is 250,000 to 500,000 fewer deaths by flatten the curve vs. doing nothing (in the UK).

Quote:

With that said, is it possible to reduce the number of deaths by going into a lockdown until the virus naturally disappears?
Yes, but the numbers listed above, more or less. That is a reduction in deaths.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Yes, but the numbers listed above, more or less. That is a reduction in deaths.
That question is about the flu. I want to know if we can reduce the number of flu deaths by going into a lockdown.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
That question is about the flu. I want to know if we can reduce the number of flu deaths by going into a lockdown.
Probably, but by a much smaller percentage (much smaller). And for different reasons - the flu doesn't overwhelm the medical system, so the deaths are limited to biological reasons regardless of medical care given. Lock down would limit spread, but it is already somewhat limited due to vaccination, more obvious/earlier symptoms, and a lower mortality rate (most likely). The current lock down is almost exclusively in place now to prevent overwhelming the health care system.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Probably, but by a much smaller percentage (much smaller). And for different reasons - the flu doesn't overwhelm the medical system, so the deaths limited to biological reasons regardless of medical care given. Lock down would limit spread, but it is already somewhat limited due to vaccination, more obvious/earlier symptoms, and a lower mortality rate (most likely). The current lock down is almost exclusively in place now to prevent overwhelming the health care system.
That's what I was thinking. So we could shut down the economy and save lives every year during flu season, it seems.

EDIT: Actually, I wouldn't think it would actually be a larger percentage of people who are saved, no? The flu does not spread as quickly and easily as the COVID19, so if we took drastic measures to 'lock down', I just can't see how the virus would spread across the country? I would think this would save a LOT of lives, correct?

Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 AM

806 posts, read 2,884,353 times
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. So we could shut down the economy and save lives every year during flu season, it seems.
The flu has a vaccine, available globally.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
The flu has a vaccine, available globally.
I'm aware of this, however, people still die. Wouldn't more lives be saved by going on a 'lock down'?

Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I'm aware of this, however, people still die. Wouldn't more lives be saved by going on a 'lock down'?

Percentage-wise or by magnitude, no, because it is easier to limit spread w/o the lock down in place.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Percentage-wise or by magnitude, no, because it is easier to limit spread w/o the lock down in place.
I'm talking hard numbers. Sorry if my question isn't clear enough:

Question: Will less people (numerically) die from the flu (not COVID19) each year if we went on a 'lock down'?
Answer: Yes or No? (A simple one word response will do).

Optional: If 'Yes', then do you support a 'lock down' every year during flu season. Why or why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas