Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 AM

577 posts, read 457,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
The unknown prognosis of recoveries has always been my retort to callous young people who think this won’t affect them.
I blame the media for the people who aren't taking this seriously. The media has constantly fabricated, exaggerated, and straight up lied to the public countless times in the past. It's no surprise to me that people didn't take this pandemic seriously.

The sad thing is, instead of the media stepping up and taking blame for this, they point the finger at 'young people'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 09:19 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
I blame the media for the people who aren't taking this seriously. The media has constantly fabricated, exaggerated, and straight up lied to the public countless times in the past. It's no surprise to me that people didn't take this pandemic seriously.

The sad thing is, instead of the media stepping up and taking blame for this, they point the finger at 'young people'.
Ill agree with you there. The 24-hour news cycle has shown themselves to be a joke throughout this. I only take what comes from the CDC, WHO, or Dr. Anthony Fauci seriously. I look at local news outlets just to see the case count.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:22 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:

“The” media isn’t a single entity. News Corp and Sinclair own ~40% of the news market share in the US, and they, along with their president, are the only ones who downplayed this disaster. In general, they’re the only ones that cast any doubt on the severity of external and internal threats by ignoring scientists and numbers.

The other ~60% of the market share is owned by numerous enterprises competing for views and grasping for content, so yeah, you do have to learn how to filter out loaded and sensationalized language. Do rough order of magnitude calculations with any numerical figures cited. Check the embedded links within online articles for any claims that seem dubious. Better yet, go to the authorities’ press briefings and academic papers themselves and crunch some numbers.

Anyone who paid attention to the facts of a two-week latency and asymptomatic spreaders, which were established by late January, sold off their stock in early February.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:20 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times
One thing I haven't seen discussed in the whole "why is this much different than the flu" conversation is this - what % of the people that die in this country every year of the flu don't take the flu vaccine?

At least 40% of people don't get the flu shot in an average year and that number is likely actually higher. (https://www.norc.org/NewsEventsPubli...-flu-shot.aspx)

In other words, what would the number of deaths be if everyone got the vaccine? Very likely orders of magnitude lower than we have today.

That's why this pandemic is so much more dangerous. It's naturally more contagious than the flu, it causes more long term damage (lungs) than the flu, and we have zero vaccine for it. What is happening with the economy is unfortunate, but it isn't unique to us - governments across the world are having to do what is necessary to stop the spread.

Folks like Dan Patrick can't see the forest for the trees - the economy would still be devastated in the event of a large scale, nationwide outbreak and the body count would also be much higher.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:25 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
...Folks like Dan Patrick can't see the forest for the trees - the economy would still be devastated in the event of a large scale, nationwide outbreak and the body count would also be much higher.
Until then, President Trump, Dan Patrick and some other Republican leaders will downplay this, supply mistruths/"fake news" and Kool aid to the inadequately equipped peons (doctors, healthcare workers, grocery store workers, average American worker) exposed to the Coronavirus just by being out and about while they shout from a safe distance with their megaphone to the younger generation "Get back to work and make me my money!"

Old 03-26-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
One thing I haven't seen discussed in the whole "why is this much different than the flu" conversation is this - what % of the people that die in this country every year of the flu don't take the flu vaccine?

At least 40% of people don't get the flu shot in an average year and that number is likely actually higher. (https://www.norc.org/NewsEventsPubli...-flu-shot.aspx)

In other words, what would the number of deaths be if everyone got the vaccine? Very likely orders of magnitude lower than we have today.

That's why this pandemic is so much more dangerous. It's naturally more contagious than the flu, it causes more long term damage (lungs) than the flu, and we have zero vaccine for it. What is happening with the economy is unfortunate, but it isn't unique to us - governments across the world are having to do what is necessary to stop the spread.

Folks like Dan Patrick can't see the forest for the trees - the economy would still be devastated in the event of a large scale, nationwide outbreak and the body count would also be much higher.
Every agrees COVID-19 is worse than the flu, nobody is arguing otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Until then, President Trump, Dan Patrick and some other Republican leaders will downplay this, supply mistruths/"fake news" and Kool aid to the inadequately equipped peons (doctors, healthcare workers, grocery store workers, average American worker) exposed to the Coronavirus just by being out and about while they shout from a safe distance with their megaphone to the younger generation "Get back to work and make me my money!"
There will likely be a point where we will all be saying/doing this. There will be a point where we pick the economy over saving lives, the question is, is how many lives are we willing to sacrifice for the economy.

It seems that as long as the sick don't overwhelm the healthcare system, then we, as a country, are okay risking their lives to keep the economy going. That seems to be what the leaders are okay with and (as harsh as it sounds) it's something I support too.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:51 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times
We can trust the current Republican administration (and other Republican leaders outspoken about getting back to work) because he has been so truthful in every other area. So:

Get back to work servant! “It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle—it will disappear.”
Get back to work servant! “If the economic shutdown continues, deaths by suicide “definitely would be in far greater numbers than the numbers that we’re talking about” for COVID-19 deaths.”
Get back to work servant! “Anybody that needs a test, gets a test. We—they’re there. They have the tests. And the tests are beautiful.”
Get back to work servant! We will “waive all co-payments for coronavirus treatments, extend insurance coverage to these treatments, and to prevent surprise medical billing.”
Get back to work servant! “Pharmaceutical companies are going “to have vaccines, I think, relatively soon.”
Get back to work servant! "We have very good liquids for doing this, sanitizing the masks, and that that's something they're starting to do more and more. They're sanitizing the masks."

The real (unspoken) reasons American’s are being encouraged to get back to work

Now get back to work for: the stock market, my 401k (both of which have been some of my biggest bragging rights). But also get back to work for my lobbyist, my rich voters, the people with wealth who fund my campaign, my other voters who vote for me because of the economy or them benefiting somehow that is now being threatened by the current situation. But get back to work younger generation and never mind that man behind the curtain.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
A country whose leaders advocate harm to the elderly and to the defenseless babes must change or perish

I agree with what I bolded but instead must resign, this was disgusting for him to say!

I'm surprised of this coming from an "R" as this is not what they normally stand for.

I wonder if there's an outcry to the governor to get this to resign.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:57 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,930 times
Quote:
Every agrees COVID-19 is worse than the flu, nobody is arguing otherwise.

There will likely be a point where we will all be saying/doing this. There will be a point where we pick the economy over saving lives, the question is, is how many lives are we willing to sacrifice for the economy.

It seems that as long as the sick don't overwhelm the healthcare system, then we, as a country, are okay risking their lives to keep the economy going. That seems to be what the leaders are okay with and (as harsh as it sounds) it's something I support too.
Look at the link I posted in my first post on this thread. The healthcare system will be overwhelmed without everyone sheltering in place. Because of how contagious the virus is, it really is a choice between stripping down the economy to the bare essentials for the next 3-18 months with thousands of deaths vs. a crippled economy with millions of deaths. There really is no middle ground.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
The real (unspoken) reasons American’s are being encouraged to get back to work

Now get back to work for: the stock market, my 401k (both of which have been some of my biggest bragging rights). But also get back to work for my lobbyist, my rich voters, the people with wealth who fund my campaign, my other voters who vote for me because of the economy or them benefiting somehow that is now being threatened by the current situation. But get back to work younger generation and never mind that man behind the curtain.
A (healthy) economy benefits us all. You make it sound like a good economy is only for the rich/priviledged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
I agree with what I bolded but instead must resign, this was disgusting for him to say!
It was a bit blunt of him to say, but we all agree with him (to some extent), which is why we don't shut the economy down during flu season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Look at the link I posted in my first post on this thread. The healthcare system will be overwhelmed without everyone sheltering in place. Because of how contagious the virus is, it really is a choice between stripping down the economy to the bare essentials for the next 3-18 months with thousands of deaths vs. a crippled economy with millions of deaths. There really is no middle ground.
This is why I support the current lock down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas