Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
Nobody wants anyone to die, but sometimes we have to make a tough choice to keep the economy going even if it means risking lives.
That's not a choice that I would ever make. People are always more important than money. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 07:35 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
That's not a choice that I would ever make. People are always more important than money. Period.
You already do make that choice though. People die every year from the flu, and some of those deaths could be prevented if we shut down the economy during flu season, but we don't because people (including myself) would rather choose the economy over saving lives (to an extent).

Old 03-26-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
You already do make that choice though. People die every year from the flu, and some of those deaths could be prevented if we shut down the economy during flu season, but we don't because people (including myself) would rather choose the economy over saving lives (to an extent).
No, I have no control over that. All I can do is elect people to government, if the person I voted for isn't there, there's nothing else I can do.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:57 PM

577 posts, read 457,385 times
Quote:
No, I have no control over that. All I can do is elect people to government, if the person I voted for isn't there, there's nothing else I can do.
So you would support shutting down the economy ever year during flu season?

Old 03-26-2020, 08:09 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
The country WILL have to make that choice (ostensibly through its elected officials). After the load in medical care facilities has peaked or can at least be handled in a stable fashion, the question HAS to be asked, immediately, at that point, even if the level of virus circulation and fatalities are still quite high. Waiting for effective treatment or vaccine to get things moving again is not tenable.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:17 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,988,604 times
I read the context and believe you fell for the typical mainstream media title tabloid click

Old 03-27-2020, 11:56 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
I remember hearing the interview live, I really didn't think badly of it. My spouse and I have had the same discussion. The initial lockdowns were to manage health care services, prevent overcrowding of hospitals and so on. But, after a few weeks we simply must re-open. I am certainly willing to stay in longer (health conditions) and let others get on with their businesses. It's going to suck, but it's the only solution.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:06 PM

If they lift restrictions then what's happening in NYC right now would be happening in all major Texas cities. There would be thousands getting COVID-19 each day in Houston/Dallas/SA/Austin and hundreds (mainly elderly) dying DAILY.

Is that what people want?

Old 03-27-2020, 04:13 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
If they lift restrictions then what's happening in NYC right now would be happening in all major Texas cities. There would be thousands getting COVID-19 each day in Houston/Dallas/SA/Austin and hundreds (mainly elderly) dying DAILY.

Is that what people want?
In all likelihood, we will have to restart the economy before effective treatments and/or vaccine is available.

At that point, we WILL be making a judgement of the level of illness and fatalities that are worth reopening the economy.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:11 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
In all likelihood, we will have to restart the economy before effective treatments and/or vaccine is available.

At that point, we WILL be making a judgement of the level of illness and fatalities that are worth reopening the economy.
This disease spreads so fast that any sort of economic restart will cause wartime-style triage in hospitals until herd immunity kicks in (which most models estimate as 40-70% of the population having contracted the virus). “Flattening the curve”, as it’s come to be known, prolongs the pandemic so that resources can be spread out over time, which reduces the death rate from double digit percentages to around 1-3%, until it fades into the background of seasonal pathogens. It’s either 3-18 months of near total shutdowns with maybe small windows of reprieve or millions of deaths and wartime-style triage. There’s no middle ground.

Last edited by Westerner92; 03-27-2020 at 05:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas