Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 07:51 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree Mountain View Post
It's common knowledge, even before the Covid-19 pandemic, that Dan Patrick is despicable.

Isnt that the truth. Hes always been a POS.

I guess I do agree with him on one thing: I would gladly sacrifice his life to save the economy. No one elses though, just his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
He'll be 70 shortly. Sounds like a plan, Dan. You first!

Old 03-25-2020, 08:51 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,732 times
President Trump and the Republican leaders will supply Kool aid to the inadequately equipped peons (doctors, healthcare workers, grocery store workers, average American worker) exposed to the Coronavirus just by being out and about while they shout from a safe distance with their megaphone to the younger generation "Get back to work and make me my money!"

Old 03-25-2020, 08:53 AM

577 posts, read 457,263 times
...isn't this how we handle the flu every year?

Old 03-25-2020, 09:33 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
...isn't this how we handle the flu every year?
Before folks reflexively dismiss your comment as ignorant, I think a point should be made: this virus will remain with us on a permanent basis, just like the flu. We do as a society and economy have to make doable adjustments, probably similar to the precautions already taken with the flu, and just integrate them into our lives.

This happened with HIV also (obviously a very different virus in some ways, but I'm taking a high-level view here) - though it should be noted that it still has a too-high level of transmission. Anyway, my point is, when the acute rapid spread we've been having in many places has passed, we'll have to make ongoing precautions a regular and "frictionless" part of our lives. With COVID-19, as noted, it may just be more frequent and deliberate measures that we already know to take for things like flu.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Before folks reflexively dismiss your comment as ignorant, I think a point should be made: this virus will remain with us on a permanent basis, just like the flu. We do as a society and economy have to make doable adjustments, probably similar to the precautions already taken with the flu, and just integrate them into our lives.

This happened with HIV also (obviously a very different virus in some ways, but I'm taking a high-level view here) - though it should be noted that it still has a too-high level of transmission. Anyway, my point is, when the acute rapid spread we've been having in many places has passed, we'll have to make ongoing precautions a regular and "frictionless" part of our lives. With COVID-19, as noted, it may just be more frequent and deliberate measures that we already know to take for things like flu.
I think once there is a vaccine for it, it'll be much easier for things to go on as usual. People will still die, as they do with the flu, but the amount of people affected/dying won't overwhelm hospitals, which is really mainly what we are trying to prevent here.

On a slightly related note, I wonder how many lives are being saved by 'flattening the curve'. My understanding of 'flattening the curve' is that we are mainly trying to spread out the deaths, not necessarily prevent them. Although by spreading them out, we don't overwhelm the healthcare system and we can save more lives in the process, but I just wonder what the number of deaths look like whether we flatten the curve or not.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:00 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
A country whose leaders advocate harm to the elderly and to the defenseless babes must change or perish

Old 03-25-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
A country whose leaders advocate harm to the elderly and to the defenseless babes must change or perish
What is your stance on how we should handle the flu? Do we go into lockdown for that too?

Old 03-25-2020, 10:16 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
What is your stance on how we should handle the flu? Do we go into lockdown for that too?
We should drop you off in Italy, and you can ask them if it's "just the flu".

Old 03-25-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
We should drop you off in Italy, and you can ask them if it's "just the flu".
That doesn't answer my question, though. How does everyone here think we should handle the flu?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas