U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 06:04 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,794,461 times

Advertisements

So I'm sure many of you have already heard this:

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-lt-gov-...021600858.html

The sad thing in my opinion is that I've had debates in the Dallas forum with people who have this exact same view. Money over lives. I disagree but I'm curious to know just how widespread this viewpoint is. Do people prefer to keep their businesses/jobs and lose loved ones or vice versa?

My opinion is for life. You can get another job. You can start another business. But you cannot get a loved one back after death. Also bearing in mind that the virus is now killing younger people now as well.

The Recession of 2008 also wiped out trillions of dollars in jobs and businesses. Millions lost their homes to foreclosure. The unemployment rate was i the double digits. I had one employer declare bankruptcy right after I left, and another institute a 5% pay cut.

And yet with all that, I'm willing to bet no one would have been willing to sacrifice their loved ones in the midst of that catastrophe, but are happy to do it now?

It just strikes me as incredibly sad that America has lost its soul, that it is willing to sacrifice fellow citizens this way. What do y'all think? For or against Dan Patrick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 06:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,190,561 times
Dan Patrick is an animal. His statement is unconscionable.
"Bizznizz über alles!"

Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 PM

49 posts, read 79,063 times
It's common knowledge, even before the Covid-19 pandemic, that Dan Patrick is despicable.

I don't understand this false dichotomy between saving the American economy or enforcing drastic social distancing. The federal government should simply become the payer of last resort for all non-essential businesses that are closed for the duration of a mandated lockdown. Under this plan, endorsed by economist Gabriel Zucman, affected businesses will keep all employees on the payroll for the duration of the lockdown while the federal government pays all salaries and basic business expenses. This would allow businesses and workers to weather the pandemic and make it easier for them to return to operation and return to work as soon as as it passes. Denmark and several other European countries have recently enacted similar plans.

We can keep grandma and capitalism.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:35 PM

2,502 posts, read 920,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
So I'm sure many of you have already heard this:

https://news.yahoo.com/texas-lt-gov-...021600858.html

The sad thing in my opinion is that I've had debates in the Dallas forum with people who have this exact same view. Money over lives. I disagree but I'm curious to know just how widespread this viewpoint is. Do people prefer to keep their businesses/jobs and lose loved ones or vice versa?

My opinion is for life. You can get another job. You can start another business. But you cannot get a loved one back after death. Also bearing in mind that the virus is now killing younger people now as well.

The Recession of 2008 also wiped out trillions of dollars in jobs and businesses. Millions lost their homes to foreclosure. The unemployment rate was i the double digits. I had one employer declare bankruptcy right after I left, and another institute a 5% pay cut.

And yet with all that, I'm willing to bet no one would have been willing to sacrifice their loved ones in the midst of that catastrophe, but are happy to do it now?

It just strikes me as incredibly sad that America has lost its soul, that it is willing to sacrifice fellow citizens this way. What do y'all think? For or against Dan Patrick?
He’s always been a far right cuckoo.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:38 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,794,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree Mountain View Post
It's common knowledge, even before the Covid-19 pandemic, that Dan Patrick is despicable.

I don't understand this false dichotomy between saving the American economy or enforcing drastic social distancing. The federal government should simply become the payer of last resort for all non-essential businesses that are closed for the duration of a mandated lockdown. Under this plan, endorsed by economist Gabriel Zucman, affected businesses will keep all employees on the payroll for the duration of the lockdown while the federal government pays all salaries and basic business expenses. This would allow businesses and workers to weather the pandemic and make it easier for them to return to operation and return to work as soon as as it passes. Denmark and several other European countries have recently enacted similar plans.

We can keep grandma and capitalism.
Yes this is exactly what the UK and other European countries are doing to soften the financial blow

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/busin...ges/index.html

Old 03-24-2020, 07:52 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,620,544 times
Unbelievably short-sighted, heartless, and ignorant.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:56 PM

13,531 posts, read 30,071,382 times
He isn't bright enough (or empathic enough) to see the major difference between a normal recurring illness and a novel new illness. He would have some point with normal recurring, such as the flu, in which we do not shut down life every year to stop it. The difference with this new virus is multifold:
- There is no existing herd immunity and no vaccine, so it would theoretically infect almost every person in the country eventually. The flu averages around 10 percent of the population per year, although it varies considerably. On that basis alone, Covid would kill 10x as many people;
- There are too many unknowns not to be more cautious. The mortality rate is unknown and, as with any illness, based on many factors. But as a low estimate, it is 10x more deadly than the seasonal flu. Based on mortality and prevalence, you would see a death rate of ~100x the flu if left unabated;
- The theory that we will gain immunity is potentially a good idea, EXCEPT that the virus will likely mutate rapidly (again, an unknown to some extent) due to the massive transmission rate. It is quite likely that the virus will mutate and render the previous immunity pointless;
- Finally, and the biggie, is that people aren't going to die because of the virus alone, but because of a lack of adequate care due to the volume. That is much different than the seasonal flu in which everyone can receive care and then some people die despite care. To willing let people die because you do not want to afford them care (in the manner of the know infamous 'flattening the curve') is unconscionable.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:08 PM

12,342 posts, read 23,523,197 times
Guess he’s Pro-Life except for grandparents

Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 PM

7,000 posts, read 11,137,608 times
Does this really surprise anybody? Patrick's just repeating the rhetoric that's coming straight from the top (Trump) - profits over people. Our president has no empathy whatsoever. You're only worth something to him if you're generating profit for him.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:10 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,273,334 times
Patrick is a monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or