Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 11:25 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times

Advertisements

Maybe compared to the North
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 11:49 PM

863 posts, read 867,076 times
If you don't like the high property taxes then don't move here, simple as that.

To answer OP question, no, not in our lifetimes. It goes against the fundamental fabric of this state.

Old 04-12-2020, 10:56 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
I can't find exact numbers on it but apparently almost 40% of California taxpayers don't pay any state income tax after deductions........To me this translates to a tax hike not just on the top 20%, but also on the 40% to 80% bracket, i.e. the middle class. The counterargument would be that many middle income earners are already paying more for things like recapture. I would also add that the bottom 40% to 45% percent pay zero or negative (about 1 in 7) federal income taxes yielding a situation where the bottom 2/5th don't really contribute much of anything to federal or state coffers.

I don't know of a solution but at the same time I shouldn't be asked to pay more that I am already.

Maybe appraisal districts should lower the age of deferring taxes so that low income people who own fast appreciating real estate can be covered. That way the jurisdictions would eventually get their money and the residents won't be taxed out of their residence. The taxes owed will always be less than the appreciation unless the house burns down or some other calamity.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
It goes against the fundamental fabric of this state.
explain

Old 04-13-2020, 08:41 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Yeah, just soak the middle class more.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:35 AM

You can do this and not raise taxes. You can even lower taxes depending on what the tax rates are.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:43 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
The state is going to gets its money from individual citizens, one way or another - the bulk in most states comes from income or property tax. Sales taxes are one of the top three, usually, but is extremely variable in how it is applied. Texas does property tax and no income tax. Most states do income tax and some property tax.

The thing that I find funny is the assumption that advocates of change are all seeming to make - 'my' taxes will go down if we go to an income tax! Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly is not a guarantee. I have done all sorts of cost-analysis as retirement approaches, and the Texas property taxes and no income tax work out quite well, actually, as time goes forward - mainly because of the school tax freeze and the significant exemptions for 65+.

Anyway, what people tend to ignore is that in a two-income family (or three or more if kids working, etc), the property tax is basically split among all the residents. An income tax goes up each time there is a new income stream. Property tax works well for dual income families that live in modest housing. It sucks for one income families that live in expensive housing.

And what people also tend to ignore are how hard it is to 'hide' or 'offshore' your property. If you own a 2 million dollar house in Austin, you WILL be paying $40k+ year in taxes, year in/year out. There are no write-offs or hiding the value. And if you don't like that, you can sell the house and get a cheaper one and not lose any of your income. How many wealthy people manage to hide their money or take all sorts of deductions to avoid paying taxes?

Old 04-13-2020, 10:52 AM

Old people are the ones getting screwed over regarding the property tax.

I looked at Florida's subforum and there seems to be overwhelming support for replacing their high property tax with a higher sales tax or an income tax

Old 04-13-2020, 11:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
My mom pays ~$2,000 a year in property taxes on a $250k-300k house in Fredericksburg, TX. She sure is screwed, eh?

The overwhelming support is to try and change the system so 'they' pay less tax and 'someone else' pays for the state budget...

Old 04-16-2020, 10:28 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Old people are the ones getting screwed over regarding the property tax.

I looked at Florida's subforum and there seems to be overwhelming support for replacing their high property tax with a higher sales tax or an income tax
I think after a certain age is met the home owner should be able to stop paying towards the ISD Tax. A 60-70 year old shouldn’t have to pay towards an ISD tax.... I am even a believer if you don’t have kids maybe not paying towards it as well... (This one probably wouldn’t happen lol.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas