U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 09:37 AM

609 posts, read 368,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
The best tourist cities in Texas are Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio. All three of them have something unique to offer. If someone was visiting Texas for a limited time and wanted a taste of Texas I'd suggest those three for a unique experience.
This.^ (San Antone for sure.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 05:50 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,052,808 times
lol you only see this kind of stuff in Texas. “I’m looking to go to Houston or Dallas. Where should I go?” “San Antonio”

Old 04-28-2020, 09:10 PM

1,846 posts, read 1,095,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
lol you only see this kind of stuff in Texas. “I’m looking to go to Houston or Dallas. Where should I go?” “San Antonio”
Some places are great places to live but aren't the best for tourists.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Some places are great places to live but aren't the best for tourists.
Doesn't matter. The OP is looking to go between those 2 cities. If he mentioned San Antonio and Fort Worth, then sure recommend those. And based on the criteria he mentioned, eating, drinking, exploring markets, etc You'll get a lot more in Houston and Dallas than in San Antonio. Outside of those two, Austin would match his criteria as well, but as he said, he's not looking for that. You can't knock someone for wanting to visit a place you wouldn't like.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:53 PM

4,104 posts, read 1,366,439 times
Quote:
I would consider San Antonio too, but I have a feeling I'd be less likely to get a direct flight from New York (when the lockdowns are lifted)

Old 04-28-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
If that’s all you do then why don’t you go to New Orleans? What is the attraction to Texas?
I've already been to New Orleans. And idk, I just like Texas.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I've already been to New Orleans. And idk, I just like Texas.
What kind of bars and dining do you like?

Old 04-28-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
What kind of bars and dining do you like?
Dining:

Mexican
BBQ
Various Asian (more so traditional stuff rather than Asian fusion, though I don't mind that)
American
And more. I'm not picky.

I also like Italian and Caribbean food, but I tend not to look for that when I travel since I have it pretty often here in New York.

Nightlife:

Dive bars. Whether it be a hipster dive bar or a townie watering hole type place, I appreciate wherever I can drink cheap beers and be around non-pretentious people.

I prefer a diverse crowd when possible. Though, it's not a requirement.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Dining:

Mexican
BBQ
Various Asian (more so traditional stuff rather than Asian fusion, though I don't mind that)
American
And more. I'm not picky.

I also like Italian and Caribbean food, but I tend not to look for that when I travel since I have it pretty often here in New York.

Nightlife:

Dive bars. Whether it be a hipster dive bar or a townie watering hole type place, I appreciate wherever I can drink cheap beers and be around non-pretentious people.

I prefer a diverse crowd when possible. Though, it's not a requirement.
You'll get good BBQ and Mexican in San Antonio and Austin, but the rest, you won't find much. Out of Houston and Dallas, Dallas wins in BBQ, Houston wins in the rest, especially Italian and Caribbean food. You'll find every major Caribbean cuisine in Houston (Jamaica, Haitian, Cuban, PR, Venezuelan, Trinidadian, etc). Houston has Chinatown, Little India and Little Saigon where its as traditional as it gets. Dallas has the better Korean food.

If in Houston, Galveston is your must go to neighboring town. In Dallas, I'd probably recommend Arlington, but there's not one that stands out the way Galveston does (unless you count Fort Worth).

In my previous post, I summed up what to do in other areas. I understand what San Antonio has to offer as a tourist destination, but for the things you are looking for, it's far behind Houston and Dallas.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:33 AM

2,062 posts, read 1,446,199 times
Quote:
If in Houston, Galveston is your must go to neighboring town. In Dallas, I'd probably recommend Arlington, but there's not one that stands out the way Galveston does (unless you count Fort Worth).
Fort Worth is the "must go to" neighboring city in Dallas. Arlington is specifically an event based suburb with little else other than a sea of used car lots. Heck, I'd recommend old downtown McKinney or Grapevine over Arlington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or