Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 10:31 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times

Advertisements

The other thing I'm wondering is how long I should hold off this trip for.

I'm not personally worried about catching the Coronavirus, I just want to make sure that interstate travel is allowed and Texas is open. Does Abbott plan on opening things up by August?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 02:09 AM

9,851 posts, read 6,562,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post

I'm not personally worried about catching the Coronavirus, I just want to make sure that interstate travel is allowed and Texas is open. Does Abbott plan on opening things up by August?
I'll just say this. The way Abbot is handling it, if things are open anywhere in USA, they'll be open in Texas for sure.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:53 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,062 times
Quote:
So are Deep Ellum and Uptown sort of like Austin's 6th Street? As in, centrally located, walkable, lots of bars, touristy, etc. I would definitely check out something like that, but also check out some deeper neighborhoods as well.
Deep Ellum is more like Austin's 6th in terms of walkability, high concentration of bars, vibrant street life, and different scenes. The main parallel streets are Elm, Main, and Commerce between Good Latimer and Hall. Also check out some of the small side streets in between. If you walk up Good Latimer towards the Deep Ellum Station, there's some more bars there.

Uptown is a combination of West 6th and Rainey, but is now a secondary nightlife district compared to Deep Ellum (it was the opposite 4-5 years ago). They're mostly spread along McKinney Ave. with some along Cedar Springs and Routh. There's some good neighborhood-like bars near West Village such as Uptown Pub, Quarter Bar, and the Loon.

**Downtown also has a few hidden gems that may be worth checking out, especially if you plan on staying there. City Tavern and Frankies have a nice neighborhood bar feel to them. Both the Statler and Joule Hotels have a Speakeasy style bar in their basements. The Statler in particular is pretty cool. It's a remodeled 50's hotel that maintains that mid-century feel. The rooftop also has a pool and bar.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:26 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,410,079 times
Default Too Bad

Too bad the Texas Triangle is so spread out. It would be great if all 4 metro areas were more bunched together. If I had to choose only one to visit I would go to San Antonio and make the side trip to Austin.

My 2nd pick would be Houston, Galveston and 3rd pick Dallas-Ft. Worth.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:31 AM

Default Take the trip in October

I believe that October is the best time of year to visit Texas. The weather is great and there are lots of activities in October. DONT EVEN THINK of coming in August! That would ruin the trip.

Quote:

Old 04-30-2020, 06:39 AM

9,851 posts, read 6,562,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Too bad the Texas Triangle is so spread out. It would be great if all 4 metro areas were more bunched together. If I had to choose only one to visit I would go to San Antonio and make the side trip to Austin.

My 2nd pick would be Houston, Galveston and 3rd pick Dallas-Ft. Worth.
If all metros were included, given OP’s criteria, my picks would go

1. Houston
2. DFW
3. Austin

Austin lags behind for his criteria first because they don’t have a Galveston or Fort Worth type neighboring place. Second because the food. Although you have to admit their bar scene is more suited for visitors.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:08 AM

Default Yes Houston is first

Yes, I would agree that Houston is the top pick if you can only go to one metro area. Houston to me is more interesting than Dallas. Galveston. NASA, San Jacinto (the birthplace of Texas), Plus Houston has a more interesting Museum District/Hermann Park Oh if you go in October then the new expanded $400 million MFAH may be open. You can even catch a free show/concert at the Miller Outdoor Theater. Miller is way under rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If all metros were included, given OP’s criteria, my picks would go

1. Houston
2. DFW
3. Austin

Austin lags behind for his criteria first because they don’t have a Galveston or Fort Worth type neighboring place. Second because the food. Although you have to admit their bar scene is more suited for visitors.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:09 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,591,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I believe that October is the best time of year to visit Texas. The weather is great and there are lots of activities in October. DONT EVEN THINK of coming in August! That would ruin the trip.
Is it because of the heat? Because I personally don't mind that.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:16 AM

Default Yes the heat

It is because of the heat. August is a very hot and uncomfortable month anywhere in Texas. There are few outdoor activities due t the heat. The Miller Outdoor Theater still does free shows in August but they have outdoor airconditioning.

Quote:
Is it because of the heat? Because I personally don't mind that.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:39 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The Stockyards and Downtown, yes. The rest of Fort Worth? No.
I also really like the Arts District. So honestly, isn't that enough for at least a day trip? I didn't say he should move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas