U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2020, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
1,503 posts, read 2,905,505 times
Reputation: 1492

Advertisements

DFW should be out of the question. The OP should go to either San Antonio which is much better that Fort Worth and make a side trip to Austin (hill country). Or do Houston and Galveston. DFW just is not the place for a trip like this. I strongly urge the OP not to waste their trip on going to DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2020, 07:38 AM
 
2,061 posts, read 1,445,564 times
Reputation: 2385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
DFW should be out of the question. The OP should go to either San Antonio which is much better that Fort Worth and make a side trip to Austin (hill country). Or do Houston and Galveston. DFW just is not the place for a trip like this. I strongly urge the OP not to waste their trip on going to DFW.
Making blanket statements like "Houston or Galveston" is a better trip or "don't waste time in DFW" isn't very helpful to the OP. Tell us more about Houston/Galveston and why it's a better trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2020, 07:57 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,052,808 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Making blanket statements like "Houston or Galveston" is a better trip or "don't waste time in DFW" isn't very helpful to the OP. Tell us more about Houston/Galveston and why it's a better trip.
DFW wouldn't be the metro I exclude. I'd actually exclude San Antonio. Not because I don't like it, but because it's not what OP is looking for. People have been counting both out all thread long. The younger generation generally prefers to go to Houston Austin and Dallas than San Antonio and Forth Worth. And I'm not sure the age of the OP, but his criteria match HOU and DFW more. Not San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2020, 07:59 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,052,808 times
Reputation: 1056
Foamposite, are there any specific kind of markets that you enjoy? Because HOU has to offer plenty, but what are you looking for? Flea markets? Kosher/Jerwish? International? Ethnic-specific? Iconic shopping buildings? etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 AM
 
4,101 posts, read 1,363,878 times
Reputation: 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
DFW wouldn't be the metro I exclude. I'd actually exclude San Antonio. Not because I don't like it, but because it's not what OP is looking for. People have been counting both out all thread long. The younger generation generally prefers to go to Houston Austin and Dallas than San Antonio and Forth Worth. And I'm not sure the age of the OP, but his criteria match HOU and DFW more. Not San Antonio.
I'm 25
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2020, 08:35 AM
 
4,101 posts, read 1,363,878 times
Reputation: 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Foamposite, are there any specific kind of markets that you enjoy? Because HOU has to offer plenty, but what are you looking for? Flea markets? Kosher/Jerwish? International? Ethnic-specific? Iconic shopping buildings? etc
Flea markets and food mainly

That's the sort of thing I do in the daytime (as well as maybe go to a public square type of place like they have in New York or New Orleans), and at night I go to bars.

I also like going to less touristy neighborhoods to get things to eat. In Dallas from my quick googles, it seems like downtown's (and when I say downtown I mean the greater downtown area) Mexican food heavily leans towarss Tex-Mex, while going deeper into the city yields more regional Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2020, 08:58 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,052,808 times
Reputation: 1056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I'm 25
Yep, your age is much more Houston, Dallas and Austin than San Antonio and Fort Worth. Not that you wouldn't enjoy those two, but the attractions in HOU-DFW-ATX are much more vibrant for a younger crown and as you mentioned, drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2020, 09:05 AM
 
2,061 posts, read 1,445,564 times
Reputation: 2385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
In Dallas from my quick googles, it seems like downtown's (and when I say downtown I mean the greater downtown area) Mexican food heavily leans towarss Tex-Mex, while going deeper into the city yields more regional Mexican.
Within walking distance of the Bishop Arts District, there's a walkable commercial strip called Jefferson Blvd which has a lot of Mom&Pop Mexican restaurants. There's many other similar places scattered throughout Dallas and DFW for that matter, but for ease of access (walkability) it's a good area to explore. You can take a free street-car from Downtown to Bishop Arts, explore BA, and then walk down to Jefferson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2020, 02:56 PM
 
4,101 posts, read 1,363,878 times
Reputation: 3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Within walking distance of the Bishop Arts District, there's a walkable commercial strip called Jefferson Blvd which has a lot of Mom&Pop Mexican restaurants. There's many other similar places scattered throughout Dallas and DFW for that matter, but for ease of access (walkability) it's a good area to explore. You can take a free street-car from Downtown to Bishop Arts, explore BA, and then walk down to Jefferson.
What is that neighborhood like in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2020, 07:22 AM
 
1,851 posts, read 1,052,808 times
Reputation: 1056
Here's videos of places you'd probably be interested in.

Montrose



For unique markets as you mentioned as well as food, this is must go here. This guy doesn't show much inside the markets, but the graffiti areas you see here are mostly thrift markets or bars. Lots of good diverse eats in the area too.

Nightlife and drinking




Both of these youtubers are annoying in these videos, but its hard to find someone post a video depicting what Main St is like without being annoying and drunk. The Main St strip extends about 4-5 blocks, its usually packed on weekends.

Galveston Island



And of course, Galveston. Despite being a small town and small island, there's too much to see in Galveston to see it all in a day. Galveston was a Mafia hub during the roaring 20s, so they invested a lot into the islands tourism, and many of their businesses are still open and have turned to corporations. so you'd have to choose what you like out of the Seawall, Historic Downtown, Moody Gardens, Pleasure Pier, Port Bolivar Lighthouse, Bishop's Castle, Schlitterbahn, etc.

The water here is misleading, it's usually not this clear but sometimes it is. Usually after August it clears up like this.



The first video didn't show much of historic downtown, so this shows a bit along with the cruise ships that dock next to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top