U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 07:07 PM

4,097 posts, read 1,363,878 times

Advertisements

I already went to Austin in February, which I enjoyed. I was only there for 3 nights, though.
Not only did I hang out in Austin, but I went to Pflugerville to one of those nights and actually had a really good time.

So that being said, I will probably return to Texas later this year. I was originally going to go to Denmark, but I figure I should plan a US trip since I expect intra US travel to open up before international travel.

I'm deciding between Houston and Dallas. All I really do is walk around, go to markets, eat, and most importantly drink. Whether I choose Houston or Dallas, I will probably also go to one of the neighboring smaller towns one of the nights. I found it to be a really good decision doing that with Pflugerville, it felt more Texasy to me while the Austin crowd was very similar to the Brooklyn hipsters that I'm used to.

So overall I'm not picky, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 09:29 AM

509 posts, read 248,957 times
If you want "Texasy", then I'd say go to Dallas and also spend sometime in Fort Worth.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:55 AM

12,319 posts, read 23,488,933 times
If you want Texas big city, go to Fort Worth.

If you want small town Texas, pick some of these:
Central TX / Hill Country: Fredericksburg / Luchenbach or New Braunfels / Gruene / Wimberly
East Texas: Tyler
West Texas: Marfa (with a Big Bend trip)

Old 04-27-2020, 11:29 AM

2,897 posts, read 2,356,176 times
Agree for big city, go to Fort Worth or San Antonio or even El Paso. Neither Houston nor Dallas are set up well for traveling wanderers by comparison, though Houston has improved in the last 15 years. If you're bound and determined to do one of the two you ask about, do Houston and make a side trip to Galveston (which is nearby but hard to get to without your own car), because Galveston is a truly unique place compared to anywhere else in TX and is "wander-able", especially on a bike.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:44 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,094,356 times
The best tourist cities in Texas are Fort Worth, Austin, and San Antonio. All three of them have something unique to offer. If someone was visiting Texas for a limited time and wanted a taste of Texas I'd suggest those three for a unique experience.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:06 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,904,978 times
Default Houston

I agree with Houston. You will love it. Then make the side trip to Galveston. Galveston used to be the largest city in Texas. If you only choose between Dallas and Houston then I recommend Houston

Old 04-27-2020, 06:57 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,050,993 times
Based on your criteria, in Houston here's a breakdown of where to go.

Visiting markets: Check our Rice Village and Montrose. Both of these have unique shops (i.e. chocolate stores, cheese shops, etc) as well as flea markets and a wide array of cuisine like you'll never see in Austin. You'll see anything from local stuff to Turkish and everything in between. Montrose is more artsy while Rice Village is more chic.

Eating: You'll also want to check out Houston's ethnic enclaves for good eats. There's plenty of enclaves but the two must stops are Chinatown and Little India. In Little India, Himalaya is considered one of the greatest South Asian restaurants in the Americas (backed by Bourdain and Zimmern themselves).

More importantly drink: Plenty of areas for this. But especially for visitors, the strip on Main St in Downtown fits your criteria. I prefer the bars in Midtown, but the bars Main St are lined up perfectly for bar hopping. I also recommend checking out the Saint Arnold Brewery. It's a heck of a brewery.

Visiting a neighboring small town: Has to be Galveston Island. The beaches aren't the best, but there's so much to do and see around the island. Both the seawall and Historic Downtown are great to walk around. The architecture is unlike anything you'll see in Texas, resembles a smaller New Orleans. There's plenty of tourist spots such as Moody Gardens and Pleasure Pier but you don't have to go to these to enjoy.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:25 PM

464 posts, read 175,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I already went to Austin in February, which I enjoyed. I was only there for 3 nights, though.
Not only did I hang out in Austin, but I went to Pflugerville to one of those nights and actually had a really good time.

So that being said, I will probably return to Texas later this year. I was originally going to go to Denmark, but I figure I should plan a US trip since I expect intra US travel to open up before international travel.

I'm deciding between Houston and Dallas. All I really do is walk around, go to markets, eat, and most importantly drink. Whether I choose Houston or Dallas, I will probably also go to one of the neighboring smaller towns one of the nights. I found it to be a really good decision doing that with Pflugerville, it felt more Texasy to me while the Austin crowd was very similar to the Brooklyn hipsters that I'm used to.

So overall I'm not picky, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.
If that’s all you do then why don’t you go to New Orleans? What is the attraction to Texas?

Old 04-27-2020, 08:30 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,050,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
If that’s all you do then why don’t you go to New Orleans? What is the attraction to Texas?
New Orleans obviously is the drinking destination. But besides that, for the things he mentioned dining, going to markets and checking out attractive neighboring small towns, Houston and Dallas both would be the better spots.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:15 AM

52,735 posts, read 41,534,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPatel304 View Post
If you want "Texasy", then I'd say go to Dallas and also spend sometime in Fort Worth.
This EXACTLY - and spend most of that time in Fort Worth!

And I'd also definitely recommend San Antonio. Though it's close to Austin it has it's own vibe going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or