U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 12:17 PM

509 posts, read 206,375 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Seattle and I haven't been too happy about the shelter in place laws here. I am extremely concerned about the direction of the economy as businesses close. I am aware that there's big tech here, however I am worried the longer the shutdowns get the worse off we may be.

I am still employed. I'll be in my late 20s in the fall and getting to a point where I want my own space. I really enjoy living in Seattle but with business disappearing much of what made Seattle appeal to me no longer exists. It's not the COL that's bugging me either. I've lived in nyc too.

Before anyone mentions me needing 6 months of expenses I should mention I've not been without a job for more than 2 weeks since becoming an LPN and I moved to Seattle with a little over 2k and not ended up homeless. I also have 2 years of experience in peds home health. I'm looking at Texas mainly because it is one of the better places for LPNs. I am also aware the economy may have taken a hit with the oil crisis.

So, my criteria for looking for a town. I'm not sure which city to go to.

_not too liberal
_no super tiny towns
_decent weather ( I grew up in Tn so I'll be used to the heat)
_good bouldering gyms
_not overpriced
_somewhere good on a salary of around $22-26/hr. I'm not sure what I'll be making but I do have experience to boost pay
_ok transit. I'm gonna try my best to get my license before leaving but things seem too uncertain here

My biggest concerns are how fast it'll take to get into a new job. In NYC it happened instantly. In Seattle it was a little slower but I mentioned to land an orientation before arriving here. It would also be helpful of someone can comment on the staff to patient ratios in SNFs. Working in one would be a maybe for me.

Other states suggestions are also welcome as long as it's good in opportunity for an LPN.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 12:28 PM

1,421 posts, read 718,879 times
Well you will be limited to the big cities if you want a bouldering gym. They don't seem to exist in any of the smaller cities from what I can tell.
San Antonio seems to have everything you're looking for other than decent transit. Honestly, this isn't really a thing in any Texas cities. If you have a bike Austin would probably be the best bet

Old 04-30-2020, 01:09 PM

Thanks! If it comes down to it there's always the option of just commuting to those gyms. I know Texas is getting more blue, but I think there's still lots of red areas.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:07 PM

13,522 posts, read 30,057,552 times
Census is way down in most hospitals/medical offices. Not sure it is the best time to move if you have a job. My wife's best friend (and our next door neighbor) had been a nurse practioner for decades and says it is really ugly with layoffs occurring and/or looming for many nurses.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:14 PM

I was so surprised to hear about that given the way the media spun the situation. I suppose if nurses are getting laid off things must be bad.

I'm not talking about moving now obviously. But I find it scary the Inslee doesn't even know a date for restrictions to be completely lifted. I have a feeling here at least that this might last until the end of summer. Then he might try and institute a 2nd shutdown.

I work in home health though so it's different. I lost 4 hours out of the week and that's all. But I do wonder if home health agencies will be better off. I feel worse for the families reliant on nurses and aides to care for their loved ones.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:45 PM

10,229 posts, read 21,698,400 times
LPNs here mostly work in home health, doctor's offices, and nursing homes. In the bigger cities, the hospitals all have "magnet" status, so they can only hire RNs. There are several LVN to RN "bridge" programs available at colleges throughout the state.

If you're going to do home health here, you must have a driver's license and a car. Even in the bigger cities, public transit here is not very good and it doesn't go everywhere. Public transit in small towns is usually non-existent. It's also brutally hot here in the summer June-August, and if you tried to ride a bike to work, you'd be a sweaty mess by the time you arrived!

Rock climbing gyms are definitely only found in the big cities. In small towns, you are lucky to have one gym that has some equipment and maybe a yoga or spin class.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:21 PM

You didn't read through my post. I said I was from TN. I spent about 20 years growing up in that climate. Also DMVs are closed indefinitely. I also mentioned getting a license before leaving. But it's hard to determine when the DMV will be open. I do have a NY state permit that expires in 2 years.

I know about the magnet status. Not telling me any new information I already don't know. Your post didn't really provide me with any useful information.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:02 PM

13,522 posts, read 30,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post
I know about the magnet status. Not telling me any new information I already don't know. Your post didn't really provide me with any useful information.
Then maybe you ought to just say 'thanks! and smile. It definitely would help if you wanted to fit in around most of Texas.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:15 PM

1,421 posts, read 718,879 times
Quote:
Thanks! If it comes down to it there's always the option of just commuting to those gyms. I know Texas is getting more blue, but I think there's still lots of red areas.
All of the cities are blue, but there are red areas within them. At any rate, even Austin is much more conservative than Seattle.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:23 PM

10,229 posts, read 21,698,400 times
Quote:
You didn't read through my post. I said I was from TN. I spent about 20 years growing up in that climate. Also DMVs are closed indefinitely. I also mentioned getting a license before leaving. But it's hard to determine when the DMV will be open. I do have a NY state permit that expires in 2 years.
TN’s climate is not Texas’ climate. TN does not routinely go over 100 degrees, and stay in the 80s at night, for 2+ months like it does here in Texas. Although both states do have hot, humid summers, it is much hotter here.

Sorry you thought my post was unhelpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or