Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2022, 06:29 AM

869 posts, read 319,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
The Insane Rise of the Texas Triangle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fAmJZvNLaiM&t=78s

Yea, a LOT of that was off by quite a bit…most notably the population standings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 10:43 AM

679 posts, read 274,867 times
Currently under construction in Dallas and Houston downtowns Updated to acknowledge completion of the 43-story Parkside Residences in downtown Houston:

Dallas
-JW Marriott - 15 stories (on top of garage) (Downtown) https://mapleterracedallas.com/
-Jackson at Market Parking Garage w/ space for retail on ground floor (Downtown)
- Energy Plaza resi conversion (Downtown
- Santander Tower resi conversion

Houston
-1550 On the Green - 28 stories (Downtown) https://www.1550onthegreen.com/
-1810 Main - 10 stories (Downtown)
-Moxy Hotel (Hotel conversion of State National Bank Building)
-1801 Smith - resi conversion (Downtown)

Old 11-29-2022, 05:23 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
This popped up on my YouTube timeline. Hope everything will get off the ground. Only time will tell though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTMb95...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-30-2022, 11:50 AM

Currently under construction in Dallas and Houston downtowns Updated to Sovereign at the Ballpark in downtown Houston:

Dallas
-JW Marriott - 15 stories (on top of garage) (Downtown) https://mapleterracedallas.com/
-Jackson at Market Parking Garage w/ space for retail on ground floor (Downtown)
- Energy Plaza resi conversion (Downtown
- Santander Tower resi conversion

Houston
-1550 On the Green - 28 stories (Downtown) https://www.1550onthegreen.com/
-1810 Main - 10 stories (Downtown)
-Moxy Hotel (Hotel conversion of State National Bank Building)
-1801 Smith - resi conversion (Downtown)
-Sovereign at the Ballpark - 7-story apartments (Downtown)

Old 11-30-2022, 02:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
So they are converting both 1801 Smith AND the Esperson Buildings to residential? That's great. I hope they do as good a job as converting the Texaco Building to the Star.

They need to convert the Continental Building, the Gulf Oil/Exxon Building and that decrepit Days Inn Building in addition to 1801 Smith. That would give that area a nice little neighborhood feel. I remember when it was just Houston House and that residential tower across 45 in that area. Now there's 2 Houston Houses, the 1825 residential, the one UC on Main, Block 334 Apartments... that's going from 2 residential buildings to 8 in the last 10 years with potentials in Continental, Exxon and Days Inn.

Plus the 2 on Austin, the 3 around McGowen area and the Hamilton, Camden and Peacock are just a few blocks away. Isn't there a new one coming in Caroline? A little TLC and that area will be top notch. They need to find a solution for the addicts tho. Can't have people pooping on the sidewalk in an up and coming area.

Old 11-30-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
So they are converting both 1801 Smith AND the Esperson Buildings to residential? That's great. I hope they do as good a job as converting the Texaco Building to the Star.

They need to convert the Continental Building, the Gulf Oil/Exxon Building and that decrepit Days Inn Building in addition to 1801 Smith. That would give that area a nice little neighborhood feel. I remember when it was just Houston House and that residential tower across 45 in that area. Now there's 2 Houston Houses, the 1825 residential, the one UC on Main, Block 334 Apartments... that's going from 2 residential buildings to 8 in the last 10 years with potentials in Continental, Exxon and Days Inn.

Plus the 2 on Austin, the 3 around McGowen area and the Hamilton, Camden and Peacock are just a few blocks away. Isn't there a new one coming in Caroline? A little TLC and that area will be top notch. They need to find a solution for the addicts tho. Can't have people pooping on the sidewalk in an up and coming area.
One of the two Esperson Buildings is slated for a (partial, I believe) residential conversion. AFAIK, they have not started that project, so I have not included it in my list. The Gulf Oil/Exxon Building you refer to is actually the Humble Oil/Exxon Building (Gulf Oil and Exxon or not related) and I agree it would make for a great residential conversion (much better than the owner's announced plans to redo it into modern office space; hopefully that concept is dead). There is a little talk stirring about he possibility of at least a partial conversion of the former Continental Building (1600 Smith). And of course there is a proposal to convert the Holiday Inn/Days Inn building to residential. I'm not sure what has become of that.

Yes, there has been quite the upswing in residential in the southern part of downtown (in addition to a boom in the northern part). Downtown residential properties south of McKinney Street:

Houston House
Beaconsfield condos
Four Seasons Residences
Plaza Peacock
2016 Main (immediately across Pierce Elevated, as referenced by atadytic19)
One Park Place
SkyHouse Houston
SkyHouse Main
Block 334
Eighteen25
1701 Caroline
The Hamilton
Camden Downtown

1801 Smith (under conversion)
1810 Main (under construction; near completion)

As you mentioned there has also been a bunch of residential development just across the Pierce Elevated to the south and west (north of Elgin):

Skyline at Midtown
Camden City Centre
The Edge Condominiums
Rise Condominiums
Post Midtown Square
Metro Midtown
2222 Smith
CityPlace Midtown
Camden Midtown
2310 Main Street
Camden McGowan Station
Drewery Place
Camden Travis Street
Pearl @ the Mix
Pearl Marketplace @ Midtown
2111 Austin
Sabine Street Lofts
The Allen
Tinsley on the Park
Ashton on West Dallas
plus blocks and blocks of townhouses.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Oh yeah, you can also add The Central’s new 19 story residential tower by Streetlights called The Oliver. It’s right across from the northern most portion of Uptown. So, much going on in Dallas right now. They’ve officially broke ground on that new development. The video is just to confirm that the project has started. Earth moving equipment seen at 1:30.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JuR82l...ature=youtu.be
Crane base is in. It looks like this is officially a go. Really excited about this one!

Pics from Dallas Metropolis, user KingKong34

https://dallasmetropolis.com/dfwu/vi...p=44387#p44387

DOWNTOWN BIG"6"..What direction are they going???-c4a5a485-230c-4fc8-97be-fa59babb2cf6.jpeg
DOWNTOWN BIG"6"..What direction are they going???-1606c8b2-29ad-458c-ba8d-db98e488e36f.jpeg

Old 12-01-2022, 11:17 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Crane base is in. It looks like this is officially a go. Really excited about this one!

Pics from Dallas Metropolis, user KingKong34

https://dallasmetropolis.com/dfwu/vi...p=44387#p44387

Attachment 240696
Attachment 240697

*West Village
*Cityplace
*The Central
*Knox Henderson

.........All Connected!!........This is the missing piece.......Now I really wish DART would reconsider opening the knox-Henderson subway station.......It's really a no-brainer.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

*West Village
*Cityplace
*The Central
*Knox Henderson

.........All Connected!!........This is the missing piece.......Now I really wish DART would reconsider opening the knox-Henderson subway station.......It's really a no-brainer.

I feel the same way. CityPlace Tower will finally have high-rises around it creating sort of a skyline around Central Expressway. I’ve always thought CityPlace Tower looked kinda out of place due to its height.

The high-rise density in Uptown looks nice so far.

DOWNTOWN BIG"6"..What direction are they going???-9d4afced-c080-4f21-968d-4c82643bdae0.jpeg

The area is already served by the CityPlace/Uptown Subway Station. I just hope the NIMBYs in the Knox-Henderson area are more progressive in their thinking.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:49 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,809,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
One of the two Esperson Buildings is slated for a (partial, I believe) residential conversion. AFAIK, they have not started that project, so I have not included it in my list. The Gulf Oil/Exxon Building you refer to is actually the Humble Oil/Exxon Building (Gulf Oil and Exxon or not related) and I agree it would make for a great residential conversion (much better than the owner's announced plans to redo it into modern office space; hopefully that concept is dead). There is a little talk stirring about he possibility of at least a partial conversion of the former Continental Building (1600 Smith). And of course there is a proposal to convert the Holiday Inn/Days Inn building to residential. I'm not sure what has become of that.

Yes, there has been quite the upswing in residential in the southern part of downtown (in addition to a boom in the northern part). Downtown residential properties south of McKinney Street:

Houston House
Beaconsfield condos
Four Seasons Residences
Plaza Peacock
2016 Main (immediately across Pierce Elevated, as referenced by atadytic19)
One Park Place
SkyHouse Houston
SkyHouse Main
Block 334
Eighteen25
1701 Caroline
The Hamilton
Camden Downtown

1801 Smith (under conversion)
1810 Main (under construction; near completion)

As you mentioned there has also been a bunch of residential development just across the Pierce Elevated to the south and west (north of Elgin):

Skyline at Midtown
Camden City Centre
The Edge Condominiums
Rise Condominiums
Post Midtown Square
Metro Midtown
2222 Smith
CityPlace Midtown
Camden Midtown
2310 Main Street
Camden McGowan Station
Drewery Place
Camden Travis Street
Pearl @ the Mix
Pearl Marketplace @ Midtown
2111 Austin
Sabine Street Lofts
The Allen
Tinsley on the Park
Ashton on West Dallas
plus blocks and blocks of townhouses.

I always confusing Humble with Gulf. Both are iconic Houston landmarks (although Gulf is more architecturally interesting). Maybe I am just secretly wanting that one to be converted to residential too. It is close to a handful of other residential/ hotel buildings so it would compliment well. Houston has lost so many of its older stock.

I do agree that the plan to convert Humble to office is stupid. Vacancy rates have been up for years and taking all that sq footage out of the picture would be great for the market. In addition, the plan to add a glass wall over the building's fins would turn an icon into just another glass building.

Great job compiling that list +1. All the conversation usually goes to Austin, but the other Texas cities have been doing a lot. Austin is focused on a limited number of corridors while Dallas and especially Houston has so much going on in so many different directions. Allen Parkway, River Oaks, multiple spots in Midtown, multiple spots Downtown, east Downtown, UH area improving. And that's just in the loop. We haven't even begun to talk about Uptown and the westheimer, Richmond corridors.

Hopefully Houston's next building boom will include more mixed use
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas