U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2020, 11:10 PM
 
5,294 posts, read 6,842,312 times
Reputation: 2626

Advertisements

I've always said that the Drever(Now named The National) was going to have the biggest impact on Downtown.

That building is gonna look like it belongs in Vegas with the lighting scheme.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2020, 01:47 AM
 
Location: Belton, Tx
3,180 posts, read 1,438,085 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
With Texas being one of the most moved to state here recently just what are the cores of the states largest six cities doing or preparing to do to accommodate the influx of growth???

In my opinion all six are handling it well with only a few hiccups...But vision and ambition is what creates world class cities......Hopefully in 15 or 20 years Texas will have 6.

In the meantime....The road to that status for all six is a constant work in progress.It will be so different in all of these cities in just a few short years,,,,And I can't wait to see it.


Post developments in the cores of each core so we can all learn the most current development phase in each.Also post future projects to help paint the vision for each city.....WE ARE ALL TEXAN...progress in ANY city benefits us all.....This Corona virus will not hold Texas back....we will Bounce back the quickest.

The Future of Texas Transportation
https://youtu.be/w2rwrkIgKC0



These clips are the newest updates for each city:

HOUSTON

Midtown: The future of Houston Development? The submarket of the future?
https://youtu.be/t3j1vd0vdeA

The changing face of downtown Houston
https://youtu.be/yNQTCXtDrDY

FUTURE/ VISION

Houston's abandoned KBR complex
https://youtu.be/nJYYtyZlHfU

Houston | Future Skyscrapers (Proposed, Under Construction)
https://youtu.be/xtp4TlbeMUg

SAN ANTONIO

Then & Now: 11 construction projects that reshaped downtown San Antonio in 2019
https://youtu.be/gkITdsrD8PY

City of San Antonio seeks input on development of future park next to Hays Street Bridge
https://youtu.be/ddgJqd0JSew

FUTURE/VISION

Retail, Housing at center of downtown development
https://youtu.be/P8-sL0pnEhU

Major H-E-B announcement adds to growing downtown San Antonio
https://youtu.be/UtJ5aywDHZE

DALLAS

Downtown Dallas Economic Development Campaign
https://youtu.be/pvphLk7OWic

What AT&T's 99.9% complete new Discovery District will look like
https://youtu.be/Xta2hMVrV8s

FUTURE/VISION

Future Dallas 2030 | $15 Billion Transformation
https://youtu.be/xVPbQojTToM

New Park Opens In Downtown Dallas
https://youtu.be/1oua2OBQOzQ

AUSTIN

What you see in downtown Austin is only about half of its development capacity
https://youtu.be/xyYvTITkBoU

Evolution of the Downtown Austin Skyline
https://youtu.be/0StnPA22HTE

FUTURE/VISION

What Is the Future Of Austin?
https://youtu.be/3NmBgaNXWR0

Downtown Austin growth going in a new direction | KVUE
https://youtu.be/b1IZin5RPB4

FORT WORTH

Destination downtown: Fort Worth poised to see more high-rise residential buildings
https://youtu.be/Rhs7Hr5RY2I

Where the jobs are in downtown Fort Worth
https://youtu.be/eRNR6DxznF4

FUTURE/VISION

Promise Of 'Island Living' In Fort Worth May Be Coming True
https://youtu.be/XXgj1Dlnsuw

Development planned downtown
https://youtu.be/9JaqXBTpJDI

EL PASO

Escobar hopes to designate Downtown El Paso as Opportunity Zone
https://youtu.be/FFjJLITi0N0

Downtown El Paso business incubator inspires local entrepreneurs
https://youtu.be/PRGaByBKbcw

FUTURE/VISION

Downtown El Paso: "Duranguito" drone tour
https://youtu.be/onIqgEaAsaA

Start Up Downtown: El Paso DMD's 1-to-1 Business In Downtown Seminar & Workshop
https://youtu.be/CAzSZd7p5bY

I know I'm missing a lot of development from each city....Thats where your help is warranted,,,,
Great vids! Thanks for sharing. Very informative!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 06:13 PM
 
Location: C.R. K-T
6,202 posts, read 10,817,246 times
Reputation: 3787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
If things come into fruition, Dallas will have such a nice core! It's already decent in places where redevelopment is occurring. But with the sheer amount of land readily available in the CBD, it can change Dallas.

We need to do SMART projects that are walkable, transit-oriented, and destination-worthy. Dallas needs more of that, to be honest.
The Smart Growth movement has only been on the horizon for almost 20 years, but has not made headway into the mainstream.

With Coronavirus mandating 2 m minimum "social distancing", the movement may die before it gets hip again in the cyclical 20-year cycle. The elite have decamped their homes into the suburbs/exurbs, just like the patricians left the cities for their country villas as the Roman Empire fell. (Also the U.S. political situation is echoing the fall of Rome.)

Public transportation has largely been eschewed for the private automobile as a survival technique. I really don't think that the public is comfortable getting on a bus/train to commute to work in a distant central business district anymore. For the last decade/decade-and-a-half, suburban campuses have been all the rage, then it shifted to Downtowns recently to accommodate the majority of Millennials coming into the workforce and their lifestyle of urban living and public transport/ridesharing. The virus will halt the recent progress and regress it back to the 15-year old suburbanization pattern.

Houston was actually counter-cyclical (opposite) from the rest of the country since 4 of the Big 6 Energy companies were located Downtown. Then suddenly in the mid-2010s, 2 moved to the suburbs. The virus may accelerate the exodus trend. Currently vacant office space is being filled by smaller companies and firms renting a few floors. The new skyscrapers coming online have been mid-rises to accommodate this trend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 08:25 PM
 
5,294 posts, read 6,842,312 times
Reputation: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The Smart Growth movement has only been on the horizon for almost 20 years, but has not made headway into the mainstream.

With Coronavirus mandating 2 m minimum "social distancing", the movement may die before it gets hip again in the cyclical 20-year cycle. The elite have decamped their homes into the suburbs/exurbs, just like the patricians left the cities for their country villas as the Roman Empire fell. (Also the U.S. political situation is echoing the fall of Rome.)

Public transportation has largely been eschewed for the private automobile as a survival technique. I really don't think that the public is comfortable getting on a bus/train to commute to work in a distant central business district anymore. For the last decade/decade-and-a-half, suburban campuses have been all the rage, then it shifted to Downtowns recently to accommodate the majority of Millennials coming into the workforce and their lifestyle of urban living and public transport/ridesharing. The virus will halt the recent progress and regress it back to the 15-year old suburbanization pattern.

Houston was actually counter-cyclical (opposite) from the rest of the country since 4 of the Big 6 Energy companies were located Downtown. Then suddenly in the mid-2010s, 2 moved to the suburbs. The virus may accelerate the exodus trend. Currently vacant office space is being filled by smaller companies and firms renting a few floors. The new skyscrapers coming online have been mid-rises to accommodate this trend.
As what was mentioned in one of the questions in the second movie clip. Covid is not an economic recession. Most of the development that is planned is on a 2 to 3 year building cycle.... and as Shaun mentioned.....that's more than enough time to get through the pandemic.

The pandemic won't really stop progress.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
6,052 posts, read 9,021,865 times
Reputation: 2901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I've always said that the Drever(Now named The National) was going to have the biggest impact on Downtown.

That building is gonna look like it belongs in Vegas with the lighting scheme.
I remember seeing it lit up as a kid. It was very bright. Brighter than all the buildings in Downtown. It was one my favorite buildings at night...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 09:02 PM
 
Location: San Angelo, TX
2,078 posts, read 3,641,784 times
Reputation: 2657
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
The pandemic won't really stop progress.
Oh yes it will. Covid-19 is just getting started, and will halt economic progress for decades to come, and kill millions. The US just passed 140,000 deaths yesterday (counted by the CDC); back in March the estimated date for that number was August 4.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
6,052 posts, read 9,021,865 times
Reputation: 2901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Oh yes it will. Covid-19 is just getting started, and will halt economic progress for decades to come, and kill millions. The US just passed 140,000 deaths yesterday (counted by the CDC); back in March the estimated date for that number was August 4.
Yeah....I’m not too sure if I totally believe that yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 09:49 PM
 
5,294 posts, read 6,842,312 times
Reputation: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Oh yes it will. Covid-19 is just getting started, and will halt economic progress for decades to come, and kill millions. The US just passed 140,000 deaths yesterday (counted by the CDC); back in March the estimated date for that number was August 4.
Covid is a very serious problem I agree. But there is also alot of Hype thats mixed in. Considering that we lose more people to the regular flu every year...and no one blinks an eye....at the end of the day we'll be fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 09:52 PM
 
5,294 posts, read 6,842,312 times
Reputation: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I remember seeing it lit up as a kid. It was very bright. Brighter than all the buildings in Downtown. It was one my favorite buildings at night...
Yeah I remember those days. But they are going in a different direction with their planned lighting scheme.

Just picture the entire building windows and all lit up like the new screen in AT&T Discovery district.


And the fact they will only be a block away from each other is gonna create a energetic vibe that will be remarkable!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2020, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
6,052 posts, read 9,021,865 times
Reputation: 2901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Yeah I remember those days. But they are going in a different direction with their planned lighting scheme.

Just picture the entire building windows and all lit up like the new screen in AT&T Discovery district.


And the fact they will only be a block away from each other is gonna create a energetic vibe that will be remarkable!!!
Oh wow, I wasn’t expecting that. I just thought they were going to restore the old lighting. I seen them testing one of the pinstripes some months ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top