Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 08:32 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Most of the people moving here are not doing so with the intention of living downtown.
More people are than you think. Whether they intend to do it or not, there is definitely transplants moving to the downtown of particularly Houston Dallas and Austin. Additionally, for Houston and Dallas, they’re here a lot of people moving to adjacent neighborhoods of downtown which serves the same purpose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 09:33 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
More people are than you think. Whether they intend to do it or not, there is definitely transplants moving to the downtown of particularly Houston Dallas and Austin. Additionally, for Houston and Dallas, they’re here a lot of people moving to adjacent neighborhoods of downtown which serves the same purpose
I couldn't have said this better.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:21 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
The site below shows that amongst all major metro reas, growth in the urban core only accounted for 8% of all growth. The CBD, specifically, only accounted for 1% of the growth.

This was before COVID, mind you.

https://www.newgeography.com/content...opolitan-areas

Anecdotally, when I was considering a move to Texas, downtown Dallas and the adjacent neighborhoods were *NEVER* an option. That was in large part because it is virtually sitting on the edge of the world from all of the desirable areas in DFW. It is an up and coming area and would be the best option if you seek urban living, but for me it doesn't have enough of the amenities I desire yet.

Last edited by citidata18; 03-18-2021 at 10:32 PM..

Old 03-18-2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The site below shows that amongst all major metro reas, growth in the urban core only accounted for 8% of all growth. The CBD, specifically, only accounted for 1% of the growth.

Anecdotally, when I was considering a move to Texas, downtown Dallas and the adjacent neighborhoods were *NEVER* an option. That was in large part because it is virtually sitting on the edge of the world from all of the desirable areas in DFW. It is an up and coming area and would be the best option if you seek urban living, but for me it doesn't have enough of the amenities I desire yet.
True, but to Dallasboi’s defense, things aren’t as lopsided as they used to be though they’re still lopsided. Texas was historically all suburbs and little urban activity. And it’s safe to say the urban cores in Texas are improving drastically. And I think that’s what he’s getting at with this post.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
8% in the urban core and 1% in downtown are really huge numbers, considering the small amounts being constructed vs literally the entire rest of the metro. That's like comparing 10-15 sq miles vs 4,000 in DFW or Houston.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:13 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
8% in the urban core and 1% in downtown are really huge numbers, considering the small amounts being constructed vs literally the entire rest of the metro. That's like comparing 10-15 sq miles vs 4,000 in DFW or Houston.
The point isn't about the numbers being huge or not, but rather the poster who said the CBD and adjacent neighborhoods are only seeing a tiny proportion of the growth in Texas metros is still correct.

Old 03-19-2021, 09:17 AM

19,795 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Edge of the world per desirable areas for you maybe but not me and lots of others.

Old 03-20-2021, 08:44 AM

109 posts, read 71,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
San Antonio also, or you don't think so? Just asking because San Antonio usually gets left out of these conversations.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Janetty View Post
San Antonio also, or you don't think so? Just asking because San Antonio usually gets left out of these conversations.
San Antonio is also seeing rise in urban living but it seems a bit lesser than the other 3

Old 03-20-2021, 06:55 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
San Antonio is a quiet beast..It's waking up...Just Like Fort Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas