Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2022, 11:20 PM

9,773 posts, read 6,433,801 times

Advertisements

In 2026, there will be World Cups in both of these places. In the meantime, there's no shortage of new development in either metro or city. Not sure I understand what the fuss in here is about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 12:41 AM

6,636 posts, read 9,863,189 times
Interesting…..it seems like 23Springs has started (like I said)

This was updated 06/27/2022 11:52 AM

https://www.constructionjournal.com/...1264e884d.html

It says “Construction Commenced June 2022”

Old 06-29-2022, 09:06 AM

661 posts, read 259,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Whats boggling my mind currently is how EPIC that 47 story residential tower that's "about to break ground"on main street downtown right next to deep ellum is gonna be. It will be the tallest residential building downtown surpassing AMLI Fountain Place.

Driving into downtown on 45 is going to be STELLAR!!!!!

Downtown Dallas current population is 17,000.
Just curious -- Where'd you get the quote that it is "about to break ground"?

FWIW, Steve Brown (a reporter who generally exaggerates how soon buildings will be built) had an article in the DMN last week that only went as far as confirming the developer is "working on the project". Makes i seem like ground-breaking is probably still a ways off...

Old 06-29-2022, 12:52 PM

3,027 posts, read 1,956,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post

FWIW, Steve Brown (a reporter who generally exaggerates how soon buildings will be built) had an article in the DMN last week that only went as far as confirming the developer is "working on the project". Makes i seem like ground-breaking is probably still a ways off...
They'll never learn. If there's even a hint of something potentially being built, they shout to the heavens about it and then just quickly and quietly pivot to the next big pipe dream when the first thing falls through. I can't imagine there is an easier place to have a successful career in marketing in the United States than DFW. It's population seems uniquely swayed by good marketing more than most places, regardless of the veracity of the claim.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:17 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,404,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post

The most recent article was in the paper Monday....It'll be breaking ground before end of July.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:21 PM

6,636 posts, read 9,863,189 times
Quote:
The most recent article was in the paper Monday....It'll be breaking ground before end of July.
Todd Interests has a proven track record of getting projects done. The National, One Dallas Center, East Quarter, 300 Pearl (new tower in the East Quarter), the new Energy Plaza redevelopment, etc. I’d be surprised if it didn’t happen. I can’t think of a project they’ve announced that didn’t happen…

Edit: What people don’t understand is that Downtown Dallas no longer has any vacant buildings. We had over 40 and it took 20 years to get where we are now. So, what’s going up will have to be new construction or repurposed obsolete office space. So, we’re in a different phase in development in Downtown.

Last edited by Dallaz; 06-29-2022 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 08:10 PM

Now THIS is the best news ever....And it's exactly what I predicted!!!!

I knew Betsy was the problem.....I'm so excited to see what Fort worth is about to transform into....It's time!!!!!

In The Race For Corporate Relos, Fort Worth Mayor Angles For A Bigger Piece Of The Pie
https://www.bisnow.com/dallas-ft-wor...the-pie-113484
Quote:
“We’re needing to break outside of our shell in Fort Worth,” Parker said. “What I mean by that … is when you’re a city that really hovered around 500,000 for decades, it’s natural for people to not realize we are almost 1 million people now, and we are a large city that can offer a lot.”

Of the 62 corporate relocations to Texas announced last year, Fort Worth snagged four. A dearth of available speculative office space and limited funding for incentives have hamstrung Cowtown’s ability to attract business, but Parker, who was elected in June 2021, said several efforts are underway to improve both fronts.

The city’s relatively large population has rendered it ineligible to use sales tax revenue for economic development, which means any incentives provided in the past have been based on new tax revenue generated by a project. In other words, no upfront reductions in cost could be offered to a company looking to locate in Fort Worth, according to city documents.

To strengthen its competitiveness, the city created an Economic Development Initiatives Fund in 2020 through the $4.9M sale of land held by its Local Development Corp. Then, in February, Fort Worth's city council voted to use half of the proceeds from expiring tax-increment finance districts for economic development initiatives. The move is expected to raise the city’s economic development fund, which now sits at about $8M, to somewhere between $15M and $18M over the next five years, according to city documents.

Another area where Fort Worth has struggled is in telling its own story, Parker said. The city, along with its chamber of commerce and Visit Fort Worth, has partnered with external advertising and public relations firms to build a marketing strategy that will spread the word of what the city has to offer in regional markets and beyond.

“It’s not just wishing, you have to actually target the markets you want to be in across the country,” Parker said, noting that this effort will be funded in part through general fund money as well as through the Economic Development Initiatives Fund.

There are certain industries the city is targeting, including aerospace and defense, energy, culture, innovation and technology, infrastructure and mobility, and life sciences. Rather than casting a wide net, Parker said she prefers to be intentional about recruitment, and many of those decisions are based in large part on the available workforce, Parker said.

“We want to be really specific on the ones that fit the fabric of Fort Worth and that have the talent workforce pipeline ready for them day one,” she said.
This is only half of the article.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:23 PM

If Fort Worth turns into Another Austin....DFW will be an undoubtedly unstoppable package!!

Old 06-29-2022, 08:53 PM

5,583 posts, read 4,873,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Edit: What people don’t understand is that Downtown Dallas no longer has any vacant buildings. We had over 40 and it took 20 years to get where we are now. So, what’s going up will have to be new construction or repurposed obsolete office space. So, we’re in a different phase in development in Downtown.
This is definitely true. Downtown Dallas became pretty uncompetitive for capturing office tenants, relative to the rest of the region, by the mid-1990s despite the recovery from the oil and bank bust. The City and downtown organizations worked really really hard to make the residential and hotel conversions happen and eventually had a lot of success.

It was a big contrast with Downtown Houston, which remained much more competitive for office tenants (I think there's a couple reasons for that). That meant that all office properties and much of the vacant land (especially a site that could connect with the tunnels) was valued for and envisioned as future office towers, not residential. And certainly not hotel - the hotel market had vacated Downtown Houston so badly that by the late 1990s it was down to less than 2,000 rooms, which is crazy given how much employment was there.

The point is, it was the clear fact that Downtown Dallas was not competitive for the office market that enabled it (or maybe forced it) to make a market pivot, whereas it took a lot longer in Houston - and in fact Houston hasn't had conversion of 1960s-1980s office space to residential at all, if I'm not mistaken. Its residential growth, other than a few truly historic (pre-WWII) adaptive reuse properties, has all come from new construction. A couple old office properties did get turned into hotels once the Convention Center was expanded and more entertainment options opened. But its 1970s-80s office towers are now sitting there with pretty high vacancy for the most part, as tenants have departed for newer cutting-edge buildings within the district.

Dallas' pivot is paying off now. The increased residential base and other improvements (Arts District, Klyde Warren Park) has now even led to increasing Downtown Dallas' appeal for office tenants, so kind of full circle.

Old 06-29-2022, 08:58 PM

5,583 posts, read 4,873,281 times
Quote:
If Fort Worth turns into Another Austin....DFW will be an undoubtedly unstoppable package!!
I'd say it's pretty unstoppable already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas