Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 06:14 AM

99 posts, read 50,062 times

Advertisements

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...virus-11907156

UT, A&M, SMU, UNT and UH are planning to reopen for fall semester. What about other colleges and school districts? What’s happening in your neck of the woods? If schools and colleges are open, will you send your children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 04:46 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
College students are legally adults, not children.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:39 AM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDivine View Post

UT, A&M, SMU, UNT and UH are planning to reopen for fall semester. What about other colleges and school districts? What’s happening in your neck of the woods? If schools and colleges are open, will you send your children?
I have a son that will be attending UNT in the fall. While I am paying for it, I am not "sending" him, it is his own choice to make as an adult. How he handles himself while attending the school is his choice as well, as is his performance at the school. All of those choices have consequences, but I am confident that his formative years in my home has prepared him to make good choices in all those areas. Including protecting himself as best he can from illnesses including the current pandemic.

His attending university next fall is not my decision to make, but I wholeheartedly support it. The only real decision I have in the matter is whether to provide the money it requires to attend, which I will. Not because of, nor in spite of, the pandemic. I support it because this is the last planned step in the support I intend to provide him preparing for the career world.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:28 PM

99 posts, read 50,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
College students are legally adults, not children.
Well a 17 yr old freshman isn’t and many 18+ do value parental input. If they get sick, you are the one who’ll worry about them and end up arranging and paying for care. If you pay tuition, that’s another financial concern.Your kids don’t stop being your kids on 18th birthday, you still care about them.

Old 05-06-2020, 12:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Yep for every 5 college students who are independent and pave their own way, there are another 5 who depend on parents support.

Old 05-07-2020, 03:35 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:

I'm not surprised honestly. The colleges dont have a choice but to open. My sister works for a university system in another state. They have been taking an absolute beating financially having to refund money to students sent home this semester. She has survived two rounds of layoffs and to add salt to the wound, had to take a pay cut as well, and all this from losing half of this spring semester. Essentially if they dont reopen as normal in the fall, then expect a sizeable number of colleges to close for good, and some may have to do that regardless.

That being said, I dont know how you pull off all the new health requirements in that setting. It's been a while, but I remember having to share dorm rooms as a freshman. Having a few bathrooms for one wing of the dorms. Not to mention the cafeteria, gym, classrooms with some having 50-100 students...the list goes on and on. It will be interesting to see how this works out. My oldest graduates high school this spring. She will be a day commuter to college in the fall, if online classes arent available.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:

Sure, they’re all PLANNING to open. Why wouldn’t they be? But a lot can happen in the next 100 days (for better or for worse).

All education administrations (pre-school through college, private and public) are ALL preparing for a multitude of scenarios that could happen in the 2020-2021 school year.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:19 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Dallas County Community Colleges have already said they will be online only in fall 2020.

My husband is an instructor at TCC. He said many of his students really struggled with the sudden switch to online classes. They had signed up for lecture/classroom classes, not online, because they preferred that learning format. Many of them did not have good computer access, often just on their cell phone, so the online format presented a major challenge. He had A couple of students drop the course because they weren’t able to do the online class discussions, online exams, and additional writing assignments from their phone. He really hopes that TCC will not do online again this fall, but that remains to be seen.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:50 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,214,194 times
TCU is planning to open. I have a friend who works in administration there on the campus life side. I've never seen her as stressed as she is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: