Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Texas brand is king?
Blue Bell 5 7.04%
Borden's Dairy 0 0%
Buc-Ee's 4 5.63%
Cavender 0 0%
Dr. Pepper 16 22.54%
Frito-Lay 2 2.82%
H-E-B 21 29.58%
Landry's Restaurants 1 1.41%
Minute Maid 1 1.41%
Plucker's 0 0%
Shiner 0 0%
Shipley Do-Nuts 3 4.23%
Tito's Vodka 4 5.63%
Whataburger 14 19.72%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 12:11 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Texas is very proud to be home of these brands. These aren't necessary the biggest brands in Texas but seem to have the most Texas pride associated to them.

If there's another Texas brand you're proud of on the list, comment. For example, I think Whataburger is overrated (bash me all you want) and I prefer Fuddruckers who is from Texas and headquartered in Texas. Fudds isn't as convenient with the everywhere drive thru but the burgers are a lot better.Some people say the same about Whole Foods vs H-E-B. But no doubt Texas pride sticks to Whataburger and H-E-B over the others. I also take pride in Bravado Spice being from here, but being relatively new, lots of people don't even know they're from Texas.

I predict Whataburger, But Ees and Dr. Pepper to be top 3, with H-E-B coming at a close fourth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 01:24 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Where’s Whole Foods? Mrs Baird’s?

I voted Dr Pepper but I could see a few others having a good shot. I love Whataburger but I don’t think it’s as big as Dr Pepper and not as well known outside of the region.

H-E-B is regional. I like a lot of the H-E-B brand products and would shop there if there were stores in Dallas.

I’ve never ate at Pluckers and don’t even know of one around me.

I think I ate at Fuddruckers once like back in the 90’s. I guess I wasn’t crazy about since I never went back. Didn’t they go out of business?

I never heard of Shipley’s until a few years ago and I had family in Houston and have been there a lot. I guess they have franchises nearby because a co-worker brought a box to work a few years ago we all asked if they had bought the donuts the day before. Just tasted stale and old. There are dozens of Korean owned Donut shops around Dallas that will make fresh donuts so I don’t think I’m missing out. Last year I was in Houston and stopped off at the Galleria, they had a rep from Nespresso giving out coffee and offered a Shipley donut. Same experience, ended up throwing it away.

Tito’s vodka is huge. Very popular but I don’t care for it.

I didn’t know Minute Maid was a Texas company.

Old 05-08-2020, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Where’s Whole Foods? Mrs Baird’s?

I voted Dr Pepper but I could see a few others having a good shot. I love Whataburger but I don’t think it’s as big as Dr Pepper and not as well known outside of the region.
I explained this. I didn't round up the biggest brands based in Texas by size (or the list would look different). I did it by what Texans associate with Texas pride. While Texans love Dr. Pepper, they see Whataburger more as a religious thing (although Dr. Pepper isn't far behind).

Quote:

H-E-B is regional. I like a lot of the H-E-B brand products and would shop there if there were stores in Dallas.
So are a lot of these.

Quote:

I never heard of Shipley’s until a few years ago and I had family in Houston and have been there a lot. I guess they have franchises nearby because a co-worker brought a box to work a few years ago we all asked if they had bought the donuts the day before. Just tasted stale and old. There are dozens of Korean owned Donut shops around Dallas that will make fresh donuts so I don’t think I’m missing out. Last year I was in Houston and stopped off at the Galleria, they had a rep from Nespresso giving out coffee and offered a Shipley donut. Same experience, ended up throwing it away.
How you feel about Shipley is how I feel about Whataburger. I don't care for fast food in general. There's always a better place that isn't a chain, but people seem to fall in love with chains. Texans in general have pride for Shipley and of course Whataburger.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-09-2020 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: You misquoted me

Old 05-08-2020, 07:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
My opinion below - green is '1st tier' level - when people visit, you make sure the try these and/or make sure they know they are Texas based.

Purple is '2nd tier' - You generally have to explain what they are, but not quite as big a deal (to me) that they are Texas based, more that they are Texas unique.

I think the Tier 1s are more generic in some ways.

Tier II I think are more unique in many ways.

The rest I don't think much of relative to Texas.

Blue Bell
Borden's Dairy
Buc-Ee's
Cavender
Dr. Pepper
Frito-Lay
H-E-B
Landry's Restaurants
Minute Maid
Plucker's
Shiner
Shipley Do-Nuts
Tito's Vodka
Whataburger

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 05-08-2020 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-08-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
My opinion below - green is '1st tier' level - when people visit, you make sure the try these and/or make sure they are Texas based.

Purple is '2nd tier' - You generally have to explain what they are, but quite as big a deal (to me) that they are Texas based, more that they are Texas unique.

I think the Tier 1s are more generic in some ways.

Tier II I think are more unique in many ways.

The rest I don't think much of relative to Texas.

Blue Bell
Borden's Dairy
Buc-Ee's
Cavender
Dr. Pepper
Frito-Lay
H-E-B
Landry's Restaurants
Minute Maid
Plucker's
Shiner
Shipley Do-Nuts
Tito's Vodka
Whataburger
Are there any brands you would add to the list? Or do they about cover it?

Old 05-08-2020, 09:38 AM

332 posts, read 260,998 times
I think Whataburger would get more votes had they not sold out to a Chicago-based investment firm last year. I don't particularly care, but I remember many people were very upset over that decision.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:28 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Same with Pace Picante.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:40 AM

7-eleven is born and still based in Texas. Sort of surprising that Texans don't see them with pride and instead do with Buc-Ees.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:27 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
I think I would have included Ranch Style Beans but of course they've been swept into the giant ConAgra conglomerate now. I miss going by the plant in Fort Worth and seeing the big sign.

I would have also included Fletcher's Corny Dogs. I would think both of these brands have as much merit as say Blue Bell for example to be included in the list.

I know I still love that can of beans. Fry up some corny dogs (sorry Fletchers but I prefer home made but Fletchers will do in a pinch), heat up a can of ranch style beans, open a bag of Fritos and hey, it's what's for dinner, baby!

Old 05-08-2020, 12:36 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Bimbo (Mexican owned) bought out Ms Baird's in 1998 and I swear I can tell a difference in the bread and I've heard others say the same. I know it sure doesn't ever seem as fresh. Given a choice of Ms Baird's over Wonder I always chose Ms Baird's . . not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas