U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 03:29 PM

509 posts, read 248,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
In the middle. It's not a company that discovers new technology like Apple, Google and Microsoft, but it's a company that applies already available technology.
Initially I'd agree with you, but they are currently working on self driving cars, UberElevate, and possibly other new technologies at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 03:31 PM

3,601 posts, read 6,990,535 times
Uber is heavy into artificial intelligence and machine learning research.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:49 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,047,596 times
Most of what you're saying, I agree with. Bay Area being the lopsided home for tech giants, no doubt. Austin being Texas' only true tech city, no doubt. A few things, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post

Just on Unicorns- Bay Area has like 100+ While I don't even think Texas has 5.
I don't have the data in front of me right now but there's no way Bay Area alone has 100+ unicorns. There are only 124 unicorns in the USA. And while Bay Area has the majority, there's enough elsewhere to offset the 24. One of the few in Texas are Houston's HighRadius and Dallas' o9 Solutions.

Quote:
Houston, as a Houstonian shouldn't even be on the list, most "tech" people I know here work in Oil/with Oil companies not even the same sphere, i'm not in the office so I don't know whether the majority of Houstonians in that field could easily pivot towards "tech" companies (I use "tech" because it's an ambiguous term when talking companies and will continue to be, although most people can name tech companies the border areas are very iffy imo.)
If this takes Houston off the list, it also takes Dallas off the list. The vast, vast majority of tech jobs in Houston and Dallas are related to companies being ran here. This is true of almost metros across the USA with the few exceptions being the Bay Areas, Austins, and Bostons of the world. Yes, Dallas has the telecom corridor, but this is severely IT based which makes you ask what your criteria of a tech job is. Houston's energy tech jobs are considered more innovative.

The truth is Austin is the only real software programming tech city Texas has. But this is okay. While Houston and Dallas aren't the tech cities Austin is, Austin isn't the corporate center Houston and Dallas are.

Quote:

I'm no Tech expert, but from what I see and hear Houston/Dallas/Austin combined probably don't have the talent to match the Bay Area in tech (SMU+UT+Rice) vs. (Stanford+Berkeley which are normally ranked 1-3 with MIT in most tech related fields).
This is true and it's not even surprising, but who knows. Rice has made it clear that tech and biotech are their next focus, and when Rice focuses in an area, they do it big.

Despite Austin being the only true software city in Texas, you're not giving Houston and Dallas enough credit for what they do have. Both Houston and Dallas have been big players in fintech, which Austin hasn't.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:51 PM

17,819 posts, read 8,437,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Just because some local Houston politicians are cheerleading the idea doesn't mean Tesla is coming to Houston. This is the oldest game in the book. Sports teams do it all the time. And remember Amazon's great national search for it's 2nd headquarters? When they ended up just deciding to stay where they already were in Seattle and the DC metro?

I'd lay 10-1 odds that Elon is just playing TX for fools to extract concessions out of CA and NV.
CA is facing a $54 billion budget deficit and is in no condition to offer concessions to anyone.

Based on how much more strict blue state lock downs have been generally, I tend to believe that Tesla is serious about opening a plant outside of CA. Plus, due to distribution issues, it makes sense to open another plant outside of CA.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:17 AM

1,322 posts, read 709,367 times
I'm pretty surprised they chose Austin for the factory considering the distribution advantages they would have in both Houston and Dallas, but I'm sure they have their reasons. This would seem to make it more likely they will choose Austin for their headquarters if they choose to come to Texas at some point.

Houston would be smart to aggressively go after SpaceX and bring more of the modern space industry back to the area.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM

509 posts, read 248,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I'm pretty surprised they chose Austin for the factory considering the distribution advantages they would have in both Houston and Dallas, but I'm sure they have their reasons. This would seem to make it more likely they will choose Austin for their headquarters if they choose to come to Texas at some point.

Houston would be smart to aggressively go after SpaceX and bring more of the modern space industry back to the area.
Yeah, Austin surprises me too, but perhaps they do also plan to move their HQ, like you said.

That would be fantastic if SpaceX came to Houston too!

Old 05-17-2020, 06:26 PM

2,897 posts, read 2,352,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Who didn’t see that coming? Besides everyone I mean.

Here’s the deal: in Northern California (and ESPECIALLY the Bay Area), Austin is viewed as the only place in Texas that’s worth a crap. No Bay Area company will ever choose Houston for anything.
Yeah but if you're unhappy about excessive regulation, why in the world would you choose Austin, or somewhere within Travis County?

Now, of course, "Austin" could also mean Williamson or Hays counties, or some other part of the area outside Travis County, which would make more sense location-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas