Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 01:43 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Agreed with all these points. The intention to make controlled automated and driverless vehicles theoretically also be much safer regarding driving behavior, and therefore save lives, and also cause fewer accidents with fewer associated slowdowns, would be a massive beneficial impact.

Also, to the extent that a vehicles are not assigned to any one traveling party and must bring them not only to a destination but from it, the need for parking space could decline drastically, thereby bringing enormous savings from land consumption and building costs.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The airline industry tried really hard to combat pilot error by making everything automated. What ended up happening was a series of accidents where the computer steered the aircraft into the ground and many more close calls.

The thing people dont think of with automation is that computers are glitchy. They freeze, they misread data, they malfunction all the time. I would NOT want to be in a self driving car at high speed. Around town maybe but not on the freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 02:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post

The airline industry tried really hard to combat pilot error by making everything automated. What ended up happening was a series of accidents where the computer steered the aircraft into the ground and many more close calls.

The thing people dont think of with automation is that computers are glitchy. They freeze, they misread data, they malfunction all the time. I would NOT want to be in a self driving car at high speed. Around town maybe but not on the freeway.
Computer glitches is one of the main things people have in mind when thinking about autonomous vehicles because it comes with the territory of advanced technology regardless. It's why its illegal to fall asleep at the wheel of one because you still need to be alert to control. Plus we've heard about autonomous cars running over people too. There will definitely be adjustments just like there were adjustments when we moved from horse & buggy to V-engines. 'With time the computers will get better but there is always a case of malfunction and once those are discovered it'll be worked out (using your example, see the recent Boeing issue).

Old 05-13-2020, 02:23 PM

577 posts, read 457,263 times
Quote:

I'd still feel more safe having all cars being automous versus having human drivers on the road.

Also technology progresses at an insanely rapid rate, so these issues will certainly be ironed out over time (although there will always be outliers).

Old 05-13-2020, 02:27 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:

You make very good points here.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:55 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:

I disagree with self driving cars
but I always enjoy when people talk trash about automation

Same people that use ATMs, pay with credit cars, drive through street lights, everyday

Old 05-14-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Same people that use ATMs, pay with credit cars, drive through street lights, everyday
Do you die when the ATM misfunctions?

Old 05-14-2020, 01:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,139 times
Quote:
Do you die when the ATM misfunctions?
You can if someone is trying to rob you and it's not working . Do you ever use elevators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Good points. With everyone of those things (and more) there are issues and when those issues arise they are usually promptly resolved. Automation is going to take over more than just our driving. I work with hospitals in the west coast that are replacing EVS workers with cleaning robots as an example. I know there's been some installed in grocery stores designed to spot shoplifters. What gets automated is only going to grow exponentially.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:47 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
^^This. It's flabbergasting that we're still wasting precious resources on highway expansions. Even Abbott himself admitted not too long ago that we're at the end of expansions after this cycle.
It's flabbergasting that we're still wasting precious resources (and unnecessarily destroyed unspoiled land that can be used for agriculture or recreation/preserves) to build and maintain the Texas Triangle instead of consolidating everything into the Chicagoland model for the South.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It's flabbergasting that we're still wasting precious resources (and unnecessarily destroyed unspoiled land that can be used for agriculture or recreation/preserves) to build and maintain the Texas Triangle instead of consolidating everything into the Chicagoland model for the South.
What do you mean a Chicagoland of the South? How would that even work in Texas? Chicago is the dominant city of the state of Illinois. There is no dominant city in Texas. Houston and Dallas share the titles.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
What do you mean a Chicagoland of the South? How would that even work in Texas? Chicago is the dominant city of the state of Illinois. There is no dominant city in Texas. Houston and Dallas share the titles.
If that's the case, you can say the same thing about California with LA and the Bay.

I'll take your post a step further and say Illinois doesn't have a third metro or fourth metro with the likes of SA and Austin. The second largest metro area in Illinois is the Illinois portion of St. Louis which is overwhelmingly more in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas