U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 12:40 PM

44 posts, read 10,394 times

Advertisements

Rice University has made a convincing argument. Houston has the 2nd largest concentration of engineers in the country. That is precisely what Tesla needs.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/...8-bd7d52167d32
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 12:50 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,627,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To The Hills View Post
Rice University has made a convincing argument. Houston has the 2nd largest concentration of engineers in the country. That is precisely what Tesla needs.

https://www.khou.com/mobile/article/...8-bd7d52167d32
Just because some local Houston politicians are cheerleading the idea doesn't mean Tesla is coming to Houston. This is the oldest game in the book. Sports teams do it all the time. And remember Amazon's great national search for it's 2nd headquarters? When they ended up just deciding to stay where they already were in Seattle and the DC metro?

I'd lay 10-1 odds that Elon is just playing TX for fools to extract concessions out of CA and NV.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:00 PM

16,483 posts, read 21,635,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Just because some local Houston politicians are cheerleading the idea doesn't mean Tesla is coming to Houston. This is the oldest game in the book. Sports teams do it all the time. And remember Amazon's great national search for it's 2nd headquarters? When they ended up just deciding to stay where they already were in Seattle and the DC metro?

I'd lay 10-1 odds that Elon is just playing TX for fools to extract concessions out of CA and NV.
Driving distances are just t00 far apart in Texas f0r it t be practic1e

Old 05-11-2020, 01:09 PM

6,982 posts, read 11,110,025 times
Quote:
This. Keep dreamin'. Texas won't let Musk sell Teslas in the state directly, and the legislature has been downright hostile to the company. They almost made it illegal to service the cars in the state last year. There's no way he's moving Tesla's HQ to Texas unless the state's opposition to his sales model changes.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:27 PM

4,625 posts, read 4,699,512 times
^^ Older video, but it helps explain this comment for those of us that don't realize how much lobbying the middlemen car dealerships do to keep their business model alive. Definitely not free market capitalism business friendly environment that Texas touts itself as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noqdlCmn4h0

Old 05-11-2020, 01:49 PM

3,622 posts, read 4,627,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
This. Keep dreamin'. Texas won't let Musk sell Teslas in the state directly, and the legislature has been downright hostile to the company. They almost made it illegal to service the cars in the state last year. There's no way he's moving Tesla's HQ to Texas unless the state's opposition to his sales model changes.
Tesla, unlike more traditional manufacturing companies, is also more highly dependent on its engineers and human capital. They have been able to hire many of the very best. How many of them are going to be willing to move from CA to Houston because Elon is having a temper tantrum, versus just staying home in CA and going to work for Google or Uber or any one of the many other tech companies that are getting into automobile technology and self-driving cars?

Last edited by texasdiver; 05-11-2020 at 02:45 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 01:57 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,123,535 times
Quote:

But what concessions could he be trying to extract out of NV? He didn't post anything negative about them and they already have a gigafactory that is operational again. As for California, he just wants Fremont opened early. There will still be a new Tesla giga factory in Texas. The HQ is more up in the air but that isn't out of the realm of possibility. Believe it or not, a lot of people in California don't think highly of Elon due to his political leanings and willingness to listen to Trump. I have friends who work at SpaceX who literally say they hate Elon.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:18 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,304,778 times
Quote:
They have been able to hire many of the very best. How many of them are going to be willing to move from CA to Houston because Elon is having a temper tantrum, versus just staying home in CA
I'm sure many would stay in CA. However, can they be replaced with people who are happy to be in Texas? Austin already is a large technology center. Texas has an excellent university system to produce engineers who are probably happy to be in Texas. I doubt he could or would try to move development in one shot, but over the course of 3-4 years I think he could do it (if he really wants to, and it isn't just trying to pressure the officials in CA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I have friends who work at SpaceX who literally say they hate Elon.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's a serious question. What does it say about them that they feel this way, and yet they stay? If I genuinely hated (or even disliked) the people or company I worked for, I would move. Life is too short to spend it angry and hating.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:28 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,123,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's a serious question. What does it say about them that they feel this way, and yet they stay? If I genuinely hated (or even disliked) the people or company I worked for, I would move. Life is too short to spend it angry and hating.
Because the pay is very good and this is California where COL is expensive. They don't literally hate him every second of their life. They dislike Elon Musk mainly due to politics but respect him for his (government-paid) vision.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,047,596 times
Quote:

I agree, but Amazon didn’t decide to stay. They never said anything about planning to move their HQ. They said they planned to keep the HQ in Seattle and open a satélite HQ elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas