Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 06:22 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times

Advertisements

We are looking for some retirement property, Wifey loves and has a couple of horses, me I'm hooked on Bass Fishing. So I've heard good things about Lake Fork as far as bass fishing but is the surronding area horse friendly as well??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 AM

35 posts, read 233,168 times
Cali, Fork is the BASS capitol of Texas and for many it is the bass fishing capitol of the world, period!! One of my best friends is a professional guide on Fork and he could really show you how to fish the lakes in that area. Lake Fork is surrounded by many small communities and plenty of rural areas with cattle and horses. I am not sure what is for sale in the area but most of Texas is horse friendly. Are you planning on acreage or do you need boarding for the horses? The most horse friendly area I have seen is near Pilot Point, TX which is close to Lake Ray Roberts. DFW is growing that way faster so I imagine property values would be higher as well.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
We would want a few acres at least 5, more would be ok depending on the price... Just cause I'm from Cali don't mean I'm rich... She just needs places to ride without being hasselled for it.. me I just need some bass, and maybee a dirt track ever hear of Devil's Bowl Speedway.....

Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Devil's what? Sure have.

Yes, Lake Fork is the top lake in the area for Bass fishing as is nearby Lake Tawakoni. We have a place on Tawakoni. There are plenty of horses and cattle out in this area and it is "horse friendly". No problem there at all finding a few acres to have your horses. Some of the towns to search in are: Emory, Point, Wills Point, East Tawakoni, West Tawakoni, Quinlan, Millers Grove and a ton of other little map dots.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:58 AM

35 posts, read 233,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
We would want a few acres at least 5, more would be ok depending on the price... Just cause I'm from Cali don't mean I'm rich... She just needs places to ride without being hasselled for it.. me I just need some bass, and maybee a dirt track ever hear of Devil's Bowl Speedway.....
Yes I have heard of Devil's Bowl and it is supposed to be an excellent dirt track. I live a few miles form I-30 SPeedway here in AR. Last weekend was my first dirt track experience and I had a blast. 24 sprint cars going full out at the same time on a 1/4 mile oval was insane!!!!

AS far as hasselling goes, I don't think you will have any problems with horse back riding here in Texas. Why would she get hasselled? I grew up in Texas and my dad ranched for a living and we never got hasselled for riding.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:33 AM

83 posts, read 189,739 times
We don't see horse-drawn boat trailers backing down the ramp at Fork, but the surrounding countryside is littered with horse and cattle manure. Can't imagine what the hassle would be with owning and riding horses in this area....see em along the road all the time and there are organized rides in some of the small towns. There is a mounted sheriff's auxiliary in our county. Haven't checked lately, but I believe that the FM (farm market) designation for Texas back roads gives livestock priority......motorists can't sue you if they happen to collide with your cattle or horses. Can't quote you chapter and verse on that, but I'm sure I read it a while back. What isn't woods and small towns is hay fields and pasture. Far from finding hassles, I think your wife would find this to be horse heaven.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:59 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy1 View Post
Haven't checked lately, but I believe that the FM (farm market) designation for Texas back roads gives livestock priority......motorists can't sue you if they happen to collide with your cattle or horses.
Texas is still considered an open range state, so this is what they're speaking of when saying you can't get sued if your cow or horse is in the road and someone hits it.

There are plenty of trail riding clubs, etc around and a lot of the lakes have designated trails and areas for horses. East Texas is full of wide bar ditches where you can go for miles. The only hassle you'd get if you were to open a gate to someone's private property and proceed to trespass through it.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,538 times
I have 6 acres of land for sale in Golden Texas. All utilities on site even a small horse barn and shed. Beautiful manicured property. Both properties on either side have horses and it it located 20 minutes from lake fork. If interested email slh160@gmail.com

Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,237,732 times
That entire area should be great for both you. However, if you are going to have horses, please be aware of the large numbers of moles and mole holes in the pastures in that area.....not good for horses (or people) to walk through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas