Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:15 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times

Advertisements

Hi, once again. Time to get a few logs and toss them on our computer campfire, because I'd like for us to explore a highway together. What do you mean by that, Case? I mean this: Many of us here in the Texas threads have U.S. Highway 281 in common with one another. Either we've taken trips on this great highway, or we live near it. So right here, what we can do is tell one another what experiences we've had, where your favorite place is, a restaurant, a tourist trap, a vista, a river......something along those lines. Maybe you've also got a story to tell about something on the highway. Now, because this is a Texas thread, we're only going to discuss the portion of 281 that goes through Texas because this highway does go into Oklahoma and on to North Dakota.

Now, to help us all out here, these are some of the cities along U.S. Highway 281 in Texas (just in the event some of you may not know): Wichita Falls, Jacksboro, Mineral Wells, Stephenville, Hico, Lampasas, Burnet, Marble Falls, Johnson City, Blanco, San Antonio, Pleasanton, Alice, Edinburg, and McAllen.

So, let's kick this ball around for a little bit. I expect this will be a fun thread for us. The subject is Highway 281 in Texas, and your memoirs or favorite things. Let 'er rip!

Also, let me give you a couple of fun and informative links below.

U.S. Route 281 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Highway 281 Corridor - Travel Texas from Top to Bottom - Take the Scenic Route

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,286,056 times
I remember when my sister lived in Burkburnett outside of Wichita Falls (where I was born, btw) and the many times I drove up there and back. I loved the drive, it was so pretty. Had to watch my speed, though, passing thru those tiny towns on the way!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:46 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Wow- I did not know about this road.

I wonder what a trip along it's whole length would be like?

Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Interesting thread, Case! Lemme think on this one a bit!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:25 AM

Guys, I don't wish to make this a complicated thread, and I'm certainly not trying to. Maybe there's a landmark somewhere on 281 that you remember that stood out for you. Perhaps there is a favorite spot you wish you could take a picture of.

I'll never forget my time in Marble Falls a few years back and I'd like to go again. When you come from the south, you are descending onto the community. Passing the river and going in is just real dramatic.

Also, I'm a huge fan of the vistas going into San Antonio from the north. They have fantastic rock cuts, and some lovely scenery that's typical of the Texas Hill Country.

And, speaking of rivers, you cross one called the Pedernales River, located in Johnson City. Pronounced Pur'-duh-nah'-les, it is one of the most unusual names in Texas, but it's also become a personal favorite of mine.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:59 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Next time I travel from Dallas to San Antonio, I want to take 281 - probably from state road 22 at Hillsboro, so that I can go by Lake Whitney, and then to Hico where I'll meet up w/281.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:30 AM

188 posts, read 474,503 times
Default From Lampassas to San Antonio

Several years ago when I lived in Killeen I was dating a woman in Corpus Christi. On Friday afternoon, I would travel west on 190 to Lampassas, and then south on 281 to San Antonio. I loved the ride, and it cut out all that Austin traffic. I loved all the small towns along the way, even though I got a ticket in Marble Falls. It made the long drive more interesting.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Just off the top of my head, the thing I most remember about taking 281 South is that I made a big mistake doing so, time wise!

To backtrack...we were on our way to San Antone..and I didn't want to go thru the DFW traffic, so went the "rural route". It cost me about 4 hours in time...but DAMMED if, in retrospect, it wasn't some scenic country and all.

I remember particularly..some of y'all help me out here...a "rock house" on a hill somewhere around Stephenville. Picturesque as all get out. Then that big ol' Mineral Wells hotel!

Got into the "Hill Country"...and I remember thinking at the time how it was right on the mark that those early Texas settlers would often write in their memoirs something along the lines of "Texas is the most beautiful place on God's Earth..."

Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
Hwy 281 is my favorite. Gary P Nunn sings a song about it called "Road Trip", one of my favorite songs.
I never drive I35, I always use 281 from Lampasas (the next town over from me)...
I love Dairy Barn and Herd's Burgers in Jacksboro, Hard Eights BBQ in Stephenville, Storms Drive In's in Lampasas and Burnet, Yumm Factory in Lampasas, Flying Goose Steakhouse in Lampasas..........
I need to check out Circle T Arena in Hamilton-they have a western store, a good restaurant with longest granite bar in Texas, facing the rodeo arena, swimming pool, hotel etc.......

Old 04-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Default Something New Is Always Out There

I mentioned pictures a while ago, and if any of you have any, then by all means, share them with us.

Also, a few years ago, on a whim, I decided to take a new way to Wichita Falls from D/FW without using Highway 287 (my normal way). It was just another leisure trip for me, so I used State Highway 114 through Runaway Bay to get to 281 and take it from Jacksboro into The Falls. Every once in a while, I'd do something that was a bit of a departure for me. There was no real hurry that day, and I just decided to go a different way, and it took a few more minutes. I was amazed at the scenic views once I was north of Jacksboro. But that's part of the fun of seeing Texas when there's always something new out there never seen before. You may have, but I haven't, and that's what I always look forward to -- the things I've never seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas