U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 09:14 AM

219 posts, read 214,582 times

Advertisements

Disabled retired retired police officer, veteran, constitutional conservative Jew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:21 AM

1,414 posts, read 712,288 times
Boerne is actually named after a Jew. There aren't all that many in the Hill Country or really any region of rural Texas. You might have a hard time finding a synagogue. The rest of what you said describes pretty much everyone there though.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:44 AM

OK, sounds like a fit and will just have to keep the faith undisclosed.......(<:

Old 05-18-2020, 12:49 PM

13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
The HC is full of affluent retirees nowadays, and they are from all backgrounds and leanings.

Old 05-18-2020, 01:05 PM

3,619 posts, read 4,627,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
Disabled retired retired police officer, veteran, constitutional conservative Jew?
Which part of that do you think might not fit with the Hill Country?

Honestly the toughest part might be the disabled part. Much of the Hill Country is pretty rural and may not be as accessible as you are used to. Depending on the nature of the disability.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 633,814 times
Here's a map of the Texas Hill Country: https://hill-country-visitor.com/hill-country-map/

Here's a list of synagogues in Texas: Synagogues in Texas - Shuls in Texas - Jewish Temples in Texas None are in the Hill Country. You would be driving to San Antonio, Austin, Harker Heights, San Angelo or Abilene.

That said, if you do not mind driving what could be a very long way to worship, then the next criteria would be what kind of medical care you'll need. Some areas have excellent access to medical care, but not the region's vast majority.

If you'd like ready access to both, I recommend you look into one of the many small towns around San Antonio. You'll still have to drive into the city for excellent medical care and worship, but you could still afford to live out in the towns away from the big city. Especially important to avoid the big independent school districts in Bexar County, as they constitute the vast majority of your annual property tax.

Good luck in your search.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:31 PM

I use the VA for medical care and happy. Live in Idaho and we like small towns, guns, big dogs, fishing, etc
Going to a synagogue every few weeks for service would do just fine.
I understand there is a VA medical Center in Kerrville so maybe an option.
Suspect my wife would have to go to San Antonio for medical care
Have my older F350 crew and a big service dog sticking his head
Out the back window.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:47 PM

4,428 posts, read 3,822,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Here's a map of the Texas Hill Country: https://hill-country-visitor.com/hill-country-map/

Here's a list of synagogues in Texas: Synagogues in Texas - Shuls in Texas - Jewish Temples in Texas None are in the Hill Country. You would be driving to San Antonio, Austin, Harker Heights, San Angelo or Abilene.

That said, if you do not mind driving what could be a very long way to worship, then the next criteria would be what kind of medical care you'll need. Some areas have excellent access to medical care, but not the region's vast majority.

If you'd like ready access to both, I recommend you look into one of the many small towns around San Antonio. You'll still have to drive into the city for excellent medical care and worship, but you could still afford to live out in the towns away from the big city. Especially important to avoid the big independent school districts in Bexar County, as they constitute the vast majority of your annual property tax.

Good luck in your search.
I think these are all really good suggestions. And as mentioned above, the access to places of worship may not be as big of an issue as the health care. For that reason, near San Antonio makes the most sense to me, Other suggestions would be close enough to Austin to access one of the Seton facilities, or elsewhere in the Hill Country near a Scott & White facility. I mean, aside from the VA which OP mentioned.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:54 PM

13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
If you want to avoid the big city, Kerrville looks to likely top your list. If you were looking for more variety in background, possibly Fredericksburg, but it is pricier and further from SA.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:30 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,943,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Boerne is actually named after a Jew. There aren't all that many in the Hill Country or really any region of rural Texas. You might have a hard time finding a synagogue. The rest of what you said describes pretty much everyone there though.
You won't have any difficulty finding a Synagogue. Boerne is 15 miles outside 1604, the outer loop around San Antonio. There are seven Synagogues between I-10, and 281 on the NW and North sides of town, both inside, and outside 1604 in the Shavano Park area. These are all within 20-25 minutes of Boerne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or