U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 08:39 PM

507 posts, read 254,789 times

Advertisements

Even though the cities are growing at a nice clip, do you think being so close to larger cities like Austin, San Antonio and Dallas/Fort Worth hurts us in the long run? For example with air service, do you think the airports in Killeen or Waco will ever have the chance to expand and potentially reach their full potential or will always be smaller and secondary in reach and scope? Interested in comments not just from current residents of the area but also former residents as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 AM

329 posts, read 1,256,008 times
I lived in and around Temple from 1997-2010. I don't think proximity to metros hurts the W/T/K area. To the contrary, I think it helps. Not everyone wants to deal with the 1.2 million population of Austin, let alone San Antonio and/or DFW.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:40 AM

317 posts, read 178,226 times
The Tri-Cities (Temple/Killeen/Belton) is growing like wild fire. Waco, not so much. It will remain a backwater afterthought due to the power clans wanting to keep it a 'quaint little town with a university.' Eventually, the Tri-Cities will merge with north Austin locales to become one.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:15 AM

I've been here just a little over a year. I like that the area is growing though having to go to Austin for better airline connections is a little inconvenient, it could be a lot worse.

Old 05-23-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoBill View Post
The Tri-Cities (Temple/Killeen/Belton) is growing like wild fire. Waco, not so much. It will remain a backwater afterthought due to the power clans wanting to keep it a 'quaint little town with a university.' Eventually, the Tri-Cities will merge with north Austin locales to become one.
I agree. The last time I went to Austin I definitely saw the growth inching south from Killeen/Temple Belton. The KBT metro area currently sits at 455,000 and projected to pass 500,000 by 2030.

Old 05-23-2020, 02:42 PM

146 posts, read 29,863 times
i like backwater town - very little traffic - still has the stores we like and dallas and austin are a couple hours away

everyone waves to each other and very few homeless in downtown -

Old 05-24-2020, 11:01 PM

3,619 posts, read 4,627,525 times
Judging from the amount of new construction around Waco, it is growing at a pretty good clip and the latest metro population estimate is about 275,000. How much faster do you want it to grow?

I'd much rather live in Waco than Killeen or Temple. Is that even a question?

I'm not sure what "full potential" you expect out of Waco or Temple. They will never be major metro areas like Austin or Fort Worth. That ship sailed 100 years ago. I would think Waco has the most potential of the three mostly due to Baylor.

If you are dying to live in a larger city the solution is to move, not expect Waco or Temple to change all that much in the next 20 years or so. Temple is almost 70 miles from Austin. It isn't merging into the Austin metro area any time in this century. That's not to say there won't be increasing development along the I-35 corridor. But Temple isn't going to be part of "greater Austin" anytime soon.
"

Old 05-25-2020, 06:23 PM

Well my question wasn't whether Waco, Killeen or Temple were going to be big cities or even want to. I was asking if being so close to larger cities like Austin hurts it or blocks it potential. By potential I mean not just population but other things. For example services like airports. Do you think the Killeen or Waco airports would be more important/bigger if not being so relatively close to Austin or would it's scope be limited regardless?

Old 05-25-2020, 07:50 PM

3,619 posts, read 4,627,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Well my question wasn't whether Waco, Killeen or Temple were going to be big cities or even want to. I was asking if being so close to larger cities like Austin hurts it or blocks it potential. By potential I mean not just population but other things. For example services like airports. Do you think the Killeen or Waco airports would be more important/bigger if not being so relatively close to Austin or would it's scope be limited regardless?
Definitely helps being close to larger cities.

For example, both Waco and Temple have become major distribution centers for Texas due to their central location near all four large TX metro areas. A few years ago Caterpillar built a massive parts distribution center in Waco so that they could supply their dealers in DFW, Austin, and Houston easily. The south end of Waco is full of other similar distribution centers for other companies. Likewise, Temple has big distribution centers for Wal-Mart and other businesses..

If you were to push Waco or Temple way out in the middle of nowhere you would basically have a place like say Wichita Falls, which is much less interesting and vibrant. And a lot of the businesses in Waco and Temple would vanish because they depend on closer access to the other major metro areas.

Honestly the airport isn't really that big of a deal. DFW and Austin are both easy drives from Waco and it is usually faster to make the drive rather than start your journey in Waco and connect in DFW or Houston. When we lived in Waco there as a period of time when I was flying out for work every couple weeks or so. I usually just drove to DFW rather than fly out of Waco because it was easier and more convenient. I'd always end up getting back to DFW and then having a 3 hour layover until my connecting flight back to Waco and end up getting home hours later than if I had just gotten my car at DFW and drove home.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:15 AM

317 posts, read 178,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Judging from the amount of new construction around Waco, it is growing at a pretty good clip and the latest metro population estimate is about 275,000. How much faster do you want it to grow?
Your numbers are exaggerated. 140k poulation tops, to include suburbs. Considering 50 years ago population hovered around 95k, that's not much progress. Most of that increase is simply spreading out, and influx from south of the border. One mall dies, another replaces it; and adding a couple of distribution centers doesn't mean growth. That Caterpillar plant isn't a huge employer in terms of employees on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Temple is almost 70 miles from Austin. It isn't merging into the Austin metro area any time in this century. That's not to say there won't be increasing development along the I-35 corridor. But Temple isn't going to be part of "greater Austin" anytime soon.
"
I did not say the Tri-cities was going to merge with greater Austin. Again, you exaggerate. I said the Tri-cities would merge with the northern locales, eventually. Temple is not reaching northward, at all. Developers do see possibilities southward. Simple logic.

Last edited by WacoBill; 05-27-2020 at 04:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or