U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 07:33 PM

10 posts, read 4,948 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband and I are over California and our awful Governor Newsom. We’re seeking refuge somewhere less liberal. We are wondering if any teachers can chime in where jobs are posted in Texas.

For example, most school districts post their openings on Edjoin. Not many states use it though. There must be an equivalent, but I can’t find it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 07:52 PM

20,867 posts, read 5,268,287 times
teachers are needed big time in Midland/Odessa so maybe look there.You may have to start out in a less desirable area like Midland/Odessa.I would think now wouldnt be the best time to look for teachers jobs because the state is losing lots of money versus pre-oil bust and pre-pandemic times.Best of luck and welcome to the great state of Texas.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:56 PM

13,500 posts, read 30,034,829 times
There is no state-wide central location for teacher postings, at least not that I am aware of. Each district posts their own openings, so you will have to find an area you are interested in and look there.

Generally, more rural locations need teachers more and pay less, but cost of living is usually less. In the larger cities, you will likely be applying for positions in the least desirable schools

Midland/Odessa is a tough one. I personally have two teacher friends that left due to the terrible conditions associated with the oil boom (drunk drivers, high cost of living, low wages for teachers, kids coming and going constantly from traveling families, etc). Maybe it will change with the recent bust.

Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 PM

548 posts, read 353,442 times
First rule of Depression economics: If you have a paycheck and seniority don't give it up.

Governor Abbot ordered all state government organizations and school districts to do budget cuts this year. The grass is not greener.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:15 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,197,212 times
Texas has soooo many ISDs. Even medium-sized cities may have 5 different ISDs serving the area. I guess you should start to think about how region appeals to you most, and then go from there.

The job market may get tighter, yes. May I ask what you are certified to teach? Obviously some fields are more in demand than others.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:13 AM

1,099 posts, read 633,814 times
You might get a job offer, contingent on you receiving a Texas state teacher's certificate. Out-of-state applications are here:
https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educator...-certification

Old 05-24-2020, 01:34 PM

6,917 posts, read 9,445,123 times
You need to find a city first. Then research the districts. If your husband’s income is needed he should get a job first or you two should have a hefty amount of savings.

Schools get funded based on the legislative session. The 20-21 school year will be the last year funded until the next session. If you get a job for this school year you’re honestly only going to have a secure contract for that year. I’m in the school system as a social worker and I’m not worried about this year, but what the year after will bring.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:57 PM

3,619 posts, read 4,627,525 times
Far as I know, every district posts its own openings. For example, here's the district where I used to teach in Waco:

https://midwayisd.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx

As others have written, the ease of landing jobs is inversely proportional to the "desirability" of the district and community. The posh suburban areas with nice schools have a wealth of applicants for every opening. The rougher inner city school districts and more rural areas have a harder time filling openings. It's like anywhere else. Texas is an ENORMOUS state and unlike CA, most of it is at least lightly populated. There are no big areas of public lands, national forests, or parks. So there are basically little towns and schools everywhere.

Another difference between TX and CA is that for the most part, school districts have not consolidated like they have in CA. So, for example, San Antonio probably has 20 different school districts in the city and nearby suburban areas. And they are pretty gerrymandered so that the wealthy areas and poor areas don't mix. Where I taught in Waco which is a metro area of less than 250,000 there were maybe 15 different school districts, each with its own administration, HR, hiring process, etc.

If you want to do TX, I'd suggest picking your region. Probably DFW, Austin, San Antonio and Houston metro areas to start with and maybe some smaller cities like Waco. And then just start exploring the job listings on the various school district web sites. Just looking at listings for say suburban DFW will be a full time job as there are so many hundreds and hundreds of schools and districts within say a 30 mile radius of Dallas and Fort Worth.

As for the comments on funding and such? I don't expect TX is any different from anywhere else. No matter what happens, there will be schools. It's only a question of crappy the jobs will be in terms of pay and conditions. TX is a non-union state so there is no such thing as seniority or tenure, unlike CA. But in practice jobs are pretty stable unless you are bad. Most teachers who are decent have no issues with job security once they get established. In my 10 years of teaching in TX I don't know of any teachers who got fired who didn't deserve it.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:55 PM

1,414 posts, read 712,288 times
There is only 1 school district in San Antonio that could be considered wealthy, and the rest are pretty much a mix. Not really getting that one...

Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 PM

3,619 posts, read 4,627,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
There is only 1 school district in San Antonio that could be considered wealthy, and the rest are pretty much a mix. Not really getting that one...
Here's a school district map for the San Antonio metro area.

I'd consider Alamo Heights, Northeast, Boerne, and Northside ISDs to be wealthy, or at least contain the wealthiest pockets of San Antonio. If you own a $1 million house in San Antonio, chances are pretty great it will fall into one of those four districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or