Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Very good point. I have argued before that OP needs to consider more dating options. Single and any denomination of Christianity would be reasonable. His current requirement is too fussy.

I sense some analysis paralysis here. He's been trying to leave Midland for a long time but has not actually done so. He could find a good fit somewhere in Texas, but he's being too stringent on criteria.
the reason why i havent left Midland yet is because the oil company has not gotten off the ground and my parents have not moved yet to Austin.I am just not in the position to move yet

Last edited by C24L; 05-27-2020 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
It kind of goes without saying that the largest employer in Killeen (and also likely a large percentage in Temple) is the US Army. The military is neither white nor blue collar. It's the military, and it is different. Most soldiers (both officer and enlisted) earn a good salary, and they like to have fun with their disposable income. The phrase "GI Town" definitely applies to Killeen, Copperas Cove, and Harker Heights. What this means is that the military tends to bring a more transient population, and there are also businesses that tend to cluster around a base: pawn and tattoo shops, used car lots, bars, etc. If you'll look at past posts here, you'll see that Killeen tends to have higher crime than it statistically should for a town its size. This is because of that transient population I mentioned earlier. It's definitely something to keep in mind if you're considering moving there. The Killeen area has almost no industry besides the military, and various retail and service businesses to support it.

And, it should also go without saying that if you're still looking for that single, Church of Christ-attending young lady, your odds of finding her in a GI Town are statistically almost impossible.
Okay thanks.

Last edited by C24L; 05-27-2020 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Very good point. I have argued before that OP needs to consider more dating options. Single and any denomination of Christianity would be reasonable. His current requirement is too fussy.

I sense some analysis paralysis here. He's been trying to leave Midland for a long time but has not actually done so. He could find a good fit somewhere in Texas, but he's being too stringent on criteria.
I still feel like a church of Christ wife would be best for me but I did not create this thread for dating purposes.I created it to see if said areas are white collar or blue collar because i was wondering.I did not mean for this thread to be another dating thread.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:56 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I still feel like a church of Christ wife would be best for me but I did not create this thread for dating purposes.I created it to see if said areas are white collar or blue collar because i was wondering.I did not mean for this thread to be another dating thread.
If youre looking for a Christian wife, Waco seems like it might be a good contender. Waco has a very nice downtown with decent restaurants, bars, and a whiskey distillery that makes Balconies whiskey. There are also more churches than youd know what to do with.

If you want a smaller town, definitely Belton. Lampasas is nice too but its a little further away. I wouldnt really suggest living in Temple or Killeen.

Old 05-27-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
If youre looking for a Christian wife, Waco seems like it might be a good contender. Waco has a very nice downtown with decent restaurants, bars, and a whiskey distillery that makes Balconies whiskey. There are also more churches than youd know what to do with.

If you want a smaller town, definitely Belton. Lampasas is nice too but its a little further away. I wouldnt really suggest living in Temple or Killeen.
Okay thanks.Bars are not really my thing because i hear they are dangerous and i dont want to get killed and im more of drinking at home kind of person.My stomach cant handle whiskey or hard liquor.Kool,my parents are thinking of moving to Lampassas.Why would you not suggest Temple?

Old 05-27-2020, 04:10 PM

Are the Tri-cities more of a white collar or blue collar place or more of a mix?Towns like Waco,Temple and Belton.My dad thinks the Tri-cities area is not a nice area ....is that true???

Old 05-27-2020, 05:27 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Are the Tri-cities more of a white collar or blue collar place or more of a mix?Towns like Waco,Temple and Belton.My dad thinks the Tri-cities area is not a nice area ....is that true???
None of them are like each other. Waco is a college town turned small city and the most white collar of the three. Its like a conservative Madison, WI. I would argue Waco offers the most to do of the three. Killeen is a military town and the least nice of the three. The thing that stands out about Temple is that nothing stands out about Temple (at least to me). Its nicer than Killeen, but offers less to do than Waco. I cant really think of a reason to choose Temple over Belton or Waco if Im being honest. Scott and White is in Temple and easily the best hospital in the region, but thats about it. Belton is the nicest town in the region.

To say the whole area isnt nice isnt accurate to me. There are parts of it that arent nice and parts that are. There are some really nice hills west of Waco and Killeen that are pretty and Waco has a really nice park thats great for hiking.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
None of them are like each other. Waco is a college town turned small city and the most white collar of the three. Its like a conservative Madison, WI. I would argue Waco offers the most to do of the three. Killeen is a military town and the least nice of the three. The thing that stands out about Temple is that nothing stands out about Temple (at least to me). Its nicer than Killeen, but offers less to do than Waco. I cant really think of a reason to choose Temple over Belton or Waco if Im being honest. Scott and White is in Temple and easily the best hospital in the region, but thats about it. Belton is the nicest town in the region.

To say the whole area isnt nice isnt accurate to me. There are parts of it that arent nice and parts that are. There are some really nice hills west of Waco and Killeen that are pretty and Waco has a really nice park thats great for hiking.
Thanks for that explanation,As Above So Below.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:10 PM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
I think without question, Waco would be the best place for a single young professional. There's just more happening there because of Baylor and it's the biggest city in the region. But young social life in Waco is also pretty dominated by Baylor. Not just the college students themselves, but all the young Baylor grads who have stuck around and pretty much run things in terms of the cool local local coffee shops, breweries, and other venues. Like Chip and Joanna Gaines, for example. Both Baylor grads, as are lots of the other people on the show like Clint Harp, the furniture guy who makes all the custom furniture.

I knew a lot of young single teachers when I lived and worked in Waco. They tended to either get married (usually to other Baylor grads or other young single teachers) or eventually left town for greener pastures like DFW.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:05 PM

3,887 posts, read 2,199,041 times
Quote:

Doesn't Temple have a medical school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas