Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 10:08 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Whats happening is that Texas is turning into the other states when it comes down to the suburbs. Pretty much every state that is blue come down to the suburbs. Illinois, Virginia, Maryland are just some of the examples. The GOP for the longest had a stranglehold on the suburbs but are now losing their grip as of late. I still think a Texas is red but the days of it being deep red like Oklahoma or the Deep South states are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 12:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It’s going to come down to the suburbs. Democrats have no shot in the rural, small, or medium size cities like Lubbock and Amarillo. Republicans have no shot in the actual cities of Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and in the future, Fort Worth. They are trying their best to hold on to Tarrant county but it is going to be very tough. Fort Worth is likely already blue.

Collin, Denton, Fort Bend, and Williamson counties could be the counties that swing Texas either red, purple, or blue. I don’t know if we see that happen in 2020. But 2024 will be very interesting. The urban counties of Harris, Travis, Dallas, Bexar, El Paso, and maybe Tarrant are going to become even more blue each cycle. Fort Bend I think is blue from now on. The others could very well be toss ups in the very near future.
Fort Bend and Hays County are already blue for good.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Fort Bend and Hays County are already blue for good.
I said that for Fort Bend. Hays is another suburban one but I think Williamson is the bigger prize in the Austin area. More populated and will become even more populated as each year passes.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:34 PM

3,881 posts, read 2,191,746 times
Quote:
I said that for Fort Bend. Hays is another suburban one but I think Williamson is the bigger prize in the Austin area. More populated and will become even more populated as each year passes.
So would you say that Texas will end up like Florida or Ohio?

Old 06-10-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
So would you say that Texas will end up like Florida or Ohio?
Florida. I think West Texas will be like the Panhandle. Both will continue to be solidly red. While the eastern portion will be like peninsula Florida. Still some red but the metro areas as a whole will become purple to solidly blue.

Old 06-11-2020, 11:50 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Whats happening is that Texas is turning into the other states when it comes down to the suburbs. Pretty much every state that is blue come down to the suburbs. Illinois, Virginia, Maryland are just some of the examples. The GOP for the longest had a stranglehold on the suburbs but are now losing their grip as of late. I still think a Texas is red but the days of it being deep red like Oklahoma or the Deep South states are gone.
There are a few from the NE and W. coast, but the majority of the suburban transplants I've encountered in different neighborhoods I've lived in are from red states in the Deep South and Great Plains that have stagnant economies. They ''got out'' by having good grades and bachelors degrees but they still bring their religious right-wing belief systems with them-- some of which would make native Texans cringe. I don't think any red suburbs (around Houston) are turning blue for 2020 or even 2024.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:34 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times
Bye bye Texas. It was sure nice when you were Americana, Red, and had good BBQ no matter where one stopped. At least there is Buc-ees.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:01 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Bye bye Texas. It was sure nice when you were Americana, Red, and had good BBQ no matter where one stopped. At least there is Buc-ees.
Texas is still fairly red and has BBQ everywhere.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:03 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Most of the suburbs thruout the country are alot more diverse than they were in the previous century. Alot cities are much whiter than they were in the previous century. I think what's happening is as the cities gentrify, the cities are becoming more and more unaffordable for just about any family with less than a mid-middle class income and they are moving to the suburbs. It just so happens a good portion of the population that makes no more than a mid-middle class income are black and Hispanic, and they are being priced out of their traditional ethnic neighborhoods that their families have been in for generations. As that continues, eventually the suburbs will turn blue as they become less white and poorer and the cities will turn red, as they become whiter and wealthier. Now that's just my opinion. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:12 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Most of the suburbs thruout the country are alot more diverse than they were in the previous century. Alot cities are much whiter than they were in the previous century. I think what's happening is as the cities gentrify, the cities are becoming more and more unaffordable for just about any family with less than a mid-middle class income and they are moving to the suburbs. It just so happens a good portion of the population that makes no more than a mid-middle class income are black and Hispanic, and they are being priced out of their traditional ethnic neighborhoods that their families have been in for generations. As that continues, eventually the suburbs will turn blue as they become less white and poorer and the cities will turn red, as they become whiter and wealthier. Now that's just my opinion. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
White conservative voters have yet to make any city redder. White transplants into cities (at least major cities) tend to be ultra liberal.

Also, Hispanics are increasing population wise pretty much everywhere in the country, so I don't really believed that they're being "pushed out" en masse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas