Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 09:21 PM

25 posts, read 28,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

In reality Houston is absorbing Native Texans who are being pushed out by Americans in the I-35 corridor like a typical cold front. Lots of Dallasites live in Houston now because of discrimination by these transplants!
So, of course some Texans leave their city to move to Houston, but the opposite happens as well.... Not sure I'm understanding you r point here. What discrimination in Dallas are you talking about? Isn't this problem everywhere in Texas? HENCE MY POST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 06:18 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,083 times
Talk and talk and talk, but it's pretty simple. The influx of aliens form anywhere else is going to tip the scales and remove what a place used to be. It's happened here, in Colorado, Southern CA, etc.... Old Texas values are only held dear by those who grew up here and know what they are. Now they are only found in the outskirts or in West Texas. Change is a constant. Sometimes it sucks.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:10 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,004,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Honestly, he/she sounds just like older Californians that pine for the "way that the place used to be." Birds of a feather.

Houston didn't promote diversity until after it suddenly realized that it already was. Furthermore, Dallas went "blue" long before Houston did.
And they are completely right. It's a shame what happened to California and it would be a shame for it to happen (any more than it already has) to Texas.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:33 AM

446 posts, read 167,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozenSupply View Post
I remember the state where our Texas roots were true and deep. Our beautiful Texas churches were everywhere to the public. etc...
Keep in mind that back when you observed Texas roots to be true and deep, old men sat around on porches and moaned about how much better everything was in the good old days, and how the world's going to hell in a handbasket, etc..

As did older folks when they themselves were younger.

Things change and the special time of our years coming of age will never come back. Doesn't mean that the future is worse, just different.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelateTransform View Post
Keep in mind that back when you observed Texas roots to be true and deep, old men sat around on porches and moaned about how much better everything was in the good old days, and how the world's going to hell in a handbasket, etc..

As did older folks when they themselves were younger.

Things change and the special time of our years coming of age will never come back. Doesn't mean that the future is worse, just different.
And it's always different.

I remember my grandmother saying "People always want to go back to the good ol' days - well, I lived thru those days and they weren't all that good."

She lived through two world wars, the Depression, picking cotton in a summer field, people dying of polio all around her, the Spanish flu, the Civil Rights movement (and before it), the Korean War, the Vietnam War, etc. Good times!

Old 07-01-2020, 01:27 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,051,782 times
The liberal Cali people have all moved in. Look in the Dallas forum and all you see if CA-TX moves

Old 07-01-2020, 01:51 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Before I get into this, let me say this. I'm not singling out Dallas, but they were my last hope. My Texas isn't what it used to be...
That's where I stopped reading because I knew where this post was going...

Old 07-01-2020, 02:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
what the heck is "my texas" and "texas values"??

I'm not Texan, nor do I aspire to be, but my kids and husband 100% are, and just because they may not walk your path OP doesn't make them less Texan than you. Since when did being Texan mean being just about every stereotype that you can think of?

Old 07-01-2020, 10:51 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
Quote:
Before I get into this, let me say this. I'm not singling out Dallas, but they were my last hope. My Texas isn't what it used to be. We are supposed to be the friendly state, but now the "friends" we invited in have chaosed the entire state! I don't even know where I am anymore.

I remember the state where our Texas roots were true and deep. Our beautiful Texas churches were everywhere to the public. Now they're stuck doing everything to themselves because religion is ashamed in public. Taxes and cost of living made it easy to live here. Now they're going up everywhere! Country music was the definition of Texas, now all we have to show for music is that hip hop and what not and Austin's music festivals. I understand country isn't nation wide popular, but it never really was and our country musicians found a way to excel. Even our biggest cities weren't scared to vote red, now people are actually debating on Texas voting blue in the future. Where did it come to this!?

Now why am I singling out Dallas? Because Dallas was the last hope. Austin has been liberal's poster child for quite a while. Houston has been turned to try to be a Chicago type city focusing on "diversity" and urbanization and what not (yaawwwnnn). San Antonio and southern Texas were always their own thing. The Dallas-Fort Worth area was the place! Where one could live in a big city and not be scared to show off your traditional Texas values. Where yes ma'am culture was a priority. Where people still wore their traditional Texas boots (what happened to that one?). Now its plagued by the same route as the other 2 lost causes of Texas, and there's no turning point in site.

Congratulations Texas! You're officially a thing of the past!
Only read the OP post and not the replies but I disagree. Almost all Large U.S. Cities have changed to all have similar big city like amenities. I think TX has a lot of charm left although the cities have evolved. I’ve also never heard a native Texan say “southern TX”. I took any credit when I read OP write that.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 AM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
I’ve also never heard a native Texan say “southern TX”. I took any credit when I read OP write that.
I noticed that too where OP says "San Antonio and Southern Texas"....it's South Texas, not Southern like Southern California. Maybe in the Texas OP remembers and longs for it was called Southern Texas but in my 40 years no native has ever called it that.

Next they'll probably refer to I-10 as "The 10."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
As an old Texan would say, hold your horses partner.
This was pretty damn funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas