Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 11:28 AM

25 posts, read 28,214 times

Advertisements

Before I get into this, let me say this. I'm not singling out Dallas, but they were my last hope. My Texas isn't what it used to be. We are supposed to be the friendly state, but now the "friends" we invited in have chaosed the entire state! I don't even know where I am anymore.

I remember the state where our Texas roots were true and deep. Our beautiful Texas churches were everywhere to the public. Now they're stuck doing everything to themselves because religion is ashamed in public. Taxes and cost of living made it easy to live here. Now they're going up everywhere! Country music was the definition of Texas, now all we have to show for music is that hip hop and what not and Austin's music festivals. I understand country isn't nation wide popular, but it never really was and our country musicians found a way to excel. Even our biggest cities weren't scared to vote red, now people are actually debating on Texas voting blue in the future. Where did it come to this!?

Now why am I singling out Dallas? Because Dallas was the last hope. Austin has been liberal's poster child for quite a while. Houston has been turned to try to be a Chicago type city focusing on "diversity" and urbanization and what not (yaawwwnnn). San Antonio and southern Texas were always their own thing. The Dallas-Fort Worth area was the place! Where one could live in a big city and not be scared to show off your traditional Texas values. Where yes ma'am culture was a priority. Where people still wore their traditional Texas boots (what happened to that one?). Now its plagued by the same route as the other 2 lost causes of Texas, and there's no turning point in site.

Congratulations Texas! You're officially a thing of the past!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 11:43 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
He is completely right. The Texas of old is gone. My family has been in Texas since it was a part of Mexico. So I can't exactly stay out like you told the other poster to. So where should I go? Where can I find a place that is more Texas than Texas itself?

Perhaps, it is you, and the other people that helped ruin our fine culture, that should go.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:49 AM

25 posts, read 28,214 times
Quote:
Mod edit: orphaned
Diversity isn't the problem. It's how it goes about. If they come here, they are welcome. Houston has built itself not only welcoming them, but pushing them to come here. Now, Dallas is doing the same. And now, even our pure Republican government is submitting to the new wave of "Texas".

Last edited by elnina; 06-20-2020 at 10:22 PM..

Old 06-19-2020, 11:53 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Nowhere in the US is like it was even 20 years ago.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:08 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,840,928 times
It’s called “capitalism”.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
It’s called “capitalism”.
Very true. We need nationalism, not capitalism.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:42 PM

978 posts, read 1,057,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
He is completely right. The Texas of old is gone. My family has been in Texas since it was a part of Mexico. So I can't exactly stay out like you told the other poster to. So where should I go? Where can I find a place that is more Texas than Texas itself?

Perhaps, it is you, and the other people that helped ruin our fine culture, that should go.
Are you actually saying the less than 10 years when Texas was a Republic, when it barely produced enough to self sustain itself...it didn't actually because it had very little economic viability. ..which is part of the reason it HAD to join the United States.... was better than the Texas of today? Or maybe pre-1960s Sunbelt boom Texas was better than today?

The Texas of today is a powerhouse in multiple economic categories (energy, shipping, medicine, tech, production, etc.), it is home to FIVE of the 13 largest cities in the United States, it has impressive academic industries, and YES...it has impressive diversity and is 'working' on identifying its modern day "Texas Culture".

I look at these factors as signs the we are EVOLVING into a world class "Alpha" type of society..if you don't like the synergy this is generating then I am sure there are many...many...may other cities that couldn't make that jump no matter how hard they tried. They probably still have that slower pace and they aren't far away..I'm sure Oklahoma is just the right place for people with old Texas views....Adios!

Old 06-19-2020, 02:07 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Are you actually saying the less than 10 years when Texas was a Republic, when it barely produced enough to self sustain itself...it didn't actually because it had very little economic viability. ..which is part of the reason it HAD to join the United States.... was better than the Texas of today? Or maybe pre-1960s Sunbelt boom Texas was better than today?

The Texas of today is a powerhouse in multiple economic categories (energy, shipping, medicine, tech, production, etc.), it is home to FIVE of the 13 largest cities in the United States, it has impressive academic industries, and YES...it has impressive diversity and is 'working' on identifying its modern day "Texas Culture".

I look at these factors as signs the we are EVOLVING into a world class "Alpha" type of society..if you don't like the synergy this is generating then I am sure there are many...many...may other cities that couldn't make that jump no matter how hard they tried. They probably still have that slower pace and they aren't far away..I'm sure Oklahoma is just the right place for people with old Texas views....Adios!
I definitely do not share the OP's views, but I do think it would be sad if Texas were to lose its discernibly Texas qualities and just be some sort of California clone or giant Austin.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:42 PM

9,889 posts, read 6,589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I definitely do not share the OP's views, but I do think it would be sad if Texas were to lose its discernibly Texas qualities and just be some sort of California clone or giant Austin.
Slow down there... Giant Austin? I don’t care about any of those old Texas values. Where I grew up in Houston they weren’t a big thing at all (though I did see some of “that” in Louisiana). Therefore I care 0 about those old Texas values. And I do see Texas losing those values in the places they do exist. But a giant Austin? That’s not going to be the result.

You’re telling the the fourth largest city and metro is going to have a bigger cultural impact than Houston, DFW and San Antonio combined? Just because Austin is currently trendy doesn’t mean the entire state is going to follow Austin’s footsteps. Houston is progressing in its manner, and Austin is progressing in a completely different manner (culturally speaking).

That’s like saying by DFW and Austin diversifying, they’re turning into a “Giant Houston”. As an old Texan would say, hold your horses partner.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:56 PM

8,346 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozenSupply View Post
Before I get into this, let me say this. I'm not singling out Dallas, but they were my last hope. My Texas isn't what it used to be. We are supposed to be the friendly state, but now the "friends" we invited in have chaosed the entire state! I don't even know where I am anymore.

I remember the state where our Texas roots were true and deep. Our beautiful Texas churches were everywhere to the public. Now they're stuck doing everything to themselves because religion is ashamed in public. Taxes and cost of living made it easy to live here. Now they're going up everywhere! Country music was the definition of Texas, now all we have to show for music is that hip hop and what not and Austin's music festivals. I understand country isn't nation wide popular, but it never really was and our country musicians found a way to excel. Even our biggest cities weren't scared to vote red, now people are actually debating on Texas voting blue in the future. Where did it come to this!?

Now why am I singling out Dallas? Because Dallas was the last hope. Austin has been liberal's poster child for quite a while. Houston has been turned to try to be a Chicago type city focusing on "diversity" and urbanization and what not (yaawwwnnn). San Antonio and southern Texas were always their own thing. The Dallas-Fort Worth area was the place! Where one could live in a big city and not be scared to show off your traditional Texas values. Where yes ma'am culture was a priority. Where people still wore their traditional Texas boots (what happened to that one?). Now its plagued by the same route as the other 2 lost causes of Texas, and there's no turning point in site.

Congratulations Texas! You're officially a thing of the past!
Im not sure exactly what you expected Dallas to be.

I moved from LA to Dallas in 2010 and to Houston in 2015. Fort Worth always had that Texan and more conservative vibe to it, Dallas never did since Ive been here. Ive know Dallas more for its gay scene, upscale shopping, raves, and clubs than anything traditionally Texas. The one thing my wife and I actually miss the most about Dallas is going to the gay clubs! This idea of a Dallas where people wear cowboy boots and hats hasnt existed since 2000 when I started visiting the state. Dallas is more religious than your average big city, but even then it doesnt pry itself much into everyday life. Honestly, the type of vibe youre describing about Dallas hasnt been there for at least 15 years if not longer.

I do think its somewhat unrealistic to have people move to a new place and all of the sudden change everything about themselves to conform to what a place was 30 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozenSupply View Post
Diversity isn't the problem. It's how it goes about. If they come here, they are welcome. Houston has built itself not only welcoming them, but pushing them to come here. Now, Dallas is doing the same. And now, even our pure Republican government is submitting to the new wave of "Texas".
When you say "them", whom exactly are you referring to? I dont ask that because I find it offensive (which I dont), but as a curiosity.

I dont know that Houston encourages minorities or people from foreign countries to come here, they just come on their own. Looking at the major metro areas and who is moving to them, Houston stands out from the other three. The numbers below are new residents that migrated to each metro area by international and domestic residents:

Dallas/Fort Worth - Domestic: 46,601 / International: 20,064
Houston - Domestic: 7,147 / International: 33,746
Austin - Domestic: 41,334 / International: 5,280
San Antonio - Domestic: 21,987 / International: 2,504

What makes Houston different is that it really doesnt attract Americans unlike the other three. Houston attracts foreign residents in spades. In fact in 2019, only NYC and Miami gained more foreign residents than Houston with it being ahead of places like LA, SF, and DC. DFW has a nice mix of domestic and foreign residents, Austin and San Antonio only really attract domestic residents.

But why is that? Houston doesnt advertise in foreign countries to get people to move here much less force people to come here. People go where there are established communities from their home countries.

Dallas is king of corporate relocation. So many companies have moved their offices to DFW and with that residents from all over the US come. Austin is viewed as the only livable place in Texas by liberal whites and Americans from other liberal places like California and the Pacific Northwest. San Antonio is the cheapest and has some of the best access to natural beauty. So those places to a degree have marketed themselves to bring jobs in. But thats not why Houston has grown the way it has.

Thats why I dont get your point about Houston. It markets itself the least of the three and its growth is overwhelmingly foreign. How could Houston be pushing people to come here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Very true. We need nationalism, not capitalism.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas