U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 06:43 PM

109 posts, read 35,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmtex View Post
They are every where. The liberal plague is moving in.
Hold your horses there pardner. There are a lot more conservatives in CA than you would imagine. It's just the major cities where the majority of the population is that are liberal. You get outside into the valleys where the lion's share of this country's produce is grown and it's a different story, in fact it may remind you of TX quite a bit. Farming is big business, as you well know.

I'll get back to this thread in a year or so for a report. I'm moving from CA to SA in the next few months. I grew up in Denver and have been in San Diego for 23 years. I'm done CA, the middle class is screwed here. You can only survive as a super poor person relying on gov. aid or by making 100k a year. I'm neither but have done ok with a couple of well timed property purchases, so thanks for the equity CA I'm taking it to Texas!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 07:12 AM

340 posts, read 1,278,510 times
I stayed on Coronado (Island, Isthmus, Peninsula???) for 5 days last July while my wife was in a conference. It was beautiful! The high temp never got above 78*. People were friendly and I had a great time. We did a trolley tour of San Diego and enjoyed learning about the city. I understand why people want to live there.

I don't fear political change. I am moderate in nature. I detest a fixed-mindset and strive to stay flexible. Welcome, Californians!

Old 07-22-2020, 04:12 PM

2,322 posts, read 4,626,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTX View Post

I don't fear political change. I am moderate in nature. I detest a fixed-mindset and strive to stay flexible. Welcome, Californians!
Are you of a fixed mindset that you detest fixed-mindsets or are you flexible on that?

Old 07-22-2020, 04:57 PM

4,253 posts, read 1,660,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Are you of a fixed mindset that you detest fixed-mindsets or are you flexible on that?
Straight from the play book of: "youre a bigot for not tolerating my bigotry.".

Old 07-22-2020, 07:26 PM

109 posts, read 35,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTX View Post
I stayed on Coronado (Island, Isthmus, Peninsula???) for 5 days last July while my wife was in a conference. It was beautiful! The high temp never got above 78*. People were friendly and I had a great time. We did a trolley tour of San Diego and enjoyed learning about the city. I understand why people want to live there.

Yes, San Diego is a great place to live! Especially the weather! BUT, Only if you can afford it! And that's not the middle class (me and my family). Only the poor, section 8 food stamp people and those who have 200k+ household income can make it here. You have to make 100k+ to live in a decent neighborhood, afford car payment, buy a house, have a school district where your kids are safe.
And Coronado, yes that's one of the best places in all of America to live but you better make twice as much as I stated above.

It's also gotten much more crowded over the past 23 years I've been here, and the homeless situation is out of control.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:40 PM

2,322 posts, read 4,626,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Straight from the play book of: "youre a bigot for not tolerating my bigotry.".
Ahhhh . . . "Kill the messenger for he brings bad tidings" !

Old 07-23-2020, 12:30 PM

6,927 posts, read 9,707,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDaver View Post
Yes, San Diego is a great place to live! Especially the weather! BUT, Only if you can afford it! And that's not the middle class (me and my family). Only the poor, section 8 food stamp people and those who have 200k+ household income can make it here.
CA is affordable to only 2 groups - the poor due to the state's generous handouts and the rich due to their wealth of course. The rich in my opinion need to make $300,000/yr in stable income. But in my view that isn't enough, you need at least $2M+ in liquid assets because those high paying jobs can disappear in a recession and you still need to pay your ridiculous housing costs.

So we're talking about very high net worth individuals with very high income households OR dirt poor people. Both groups do well here in California.

If you are middle class forget it, you're going to get your rear handed to you.

Even drug and gang infested neighborhoods in greater Los Angeles metro area have extremely high housing costs... in extremely bad areas the entry level homes are going for $500K. It's so absurd it's laughable. I personally wouldn't pay $50K for a house to live in these cess pools - but someone is apparently paying it otherwise they wouldn't be priced at that level.

Also LA and SFO have massive homeless and poverty problems, more so than many other metros in the country and the management of these crises is a joke - the problems just keep getting worse.

Old 07-23-2020, 03:19 PM

396 posts, read 167,630 times
Most of my family lived in California, especially during the 70's and 80's. Now, I can say most have moved here. They lived in places like Van Nuys, North Hollywood, Lancaster and L.A. Needless to say, most of them found better opportunities here. I think you'll feel right at home once you settle in. You know about the heat and yes the terrain in North Texas is mostly flat, but there are many, many California transplants in Dallas and Fort Worth, and I haven't ran into anyone that says they regret it. If you move to Dallas, I would recommend cities like Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Little Elm, Flower Mound and others. If you want to be closer to Dallas proper, Richardson and Irving are cool towns as well. Of coarse you could also live in the city of Dallas which has a trendy uptown area and nice communities on the north side.

I've heard some say that the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex reminds them of how southern California was in the 80's economically. You wont have the beach and mountains within an hour of each other (three hours with traffic :-) but there is still plenty outdoors activities if you simply explore and venture out. If you are looking at more hilly terrain, Austin and San Antonio might be something to consider. You want to be closer to beaches, Houston would be an option. Texas beaches get a bad rap but there are a lot nice small coastal towns and clean beaches along the coast (but that's another thread).

As far as politics, it's not as bad or as good as you think it might be, depending on your viewpoints. The big cities are way too diverse to have a definitive feel of liberal or conservative. The small towns outside the urban centers might be a little more distinct (or conservative) but you'll find the people are mostly friendly. All in all, I think you'll like here....Welcome.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:32 PM

6,927 posts, read 9,707,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
I think you'll feel right at home once you settle in. You know about the heat and yes the terrain in North Texas is mostly flat, but there are many, many California transplants in Dallas and Fort Worth, and I haven't ran into anyone that says they regret it. I
I was in Plano for 5 days last week... it was fine, yes the weather was hot as hell but indoors it was great and a few days it was also quite pleasant after 8pm or so to walk outside... and I hear that is just the 3-4 months of summer so that's a fine compromise.

I quite liked the vibrancy of Plano. I generally like the heat more than the cold so I can deal with it better. In a way it's good that I moved during the hottest months so anything from here is going to be better! I found the heat ok - I'm originally not from California anyway, I grew up in the tropics so I know how to deal with it.

Old 07-28-2020, 01:24 PM

396 posts, read 167,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I was in Plano for 5 days last week... it was fine, yes the weather was hot as hell but indoors it was great and a few days it was also quite pleasant after 8pm or so to walk outside... and I hear that is just the 3-4 months of summer so that's a fine compromise.

I quite liked the vibrancy of Plano. I generally like the heat more than the cold so I can deal with it better. In a way it's good that I moved during the hottest months so anything from here is going to be better! I found the heat ok - I'm originally not from California anyway, I grew up in the tropics so I know how to deal with it.
Well, since you're here my added advise is visit the Texas Hill Country every once in awhile (west of Austin and San Antonio) for a change of scenery (rolling hills, wineries, and lakes) or go a couple hours west of DFW to Possum Kingdom lake, it's a nice get away from Plano and the surrounding cities. Want a real Texas size road trip, visit the mountains in West Texas and checkout one of the most underrated national parks in the country, Big Bend.

When ever you want to go back to the tropics, take a 4 hour drive to Galveston and take a Caribbean cruise. I'm just saying this to defuse comments some will make that there is nothing to do here. Even around DFW, there are plenty of things to do which I'm sure you may have already discovered. Hope you continue to enjoy your new home town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas