Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 03:38 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,862 times

Advertisements

My company consolidated operations in an undesirable, cold northern state, and they thought that half the Texas employees would relocate there.

One guy relocated for a month--until his 30 year anniversary and retirement kicked in.

It's difficult to get Texans to relocate or take transfers out of Texas.

After all, Texas gave us two great things--Chicken Fried Steak and Tex-Mex foods.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:51 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,528,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Many years in TX...my guess is that a greater number of Texans verbally berate California than the number of Californians who berate Texas. I could be wrong.
California gets brought up in the Texas forum quite a bit.

And also, there is this big billboard between Austin and San Antonio that I saw this week that made me chuckle.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Agree.

The biggest problem California has is affordability. Everyone knows California is better but it comes with a hefty price tag.

I would like to move to Cali, or London or Tokyo if I won a lottery or something. But right now, I accept the reality that I don't have these options.
CA actually has a lot of problems, most brought on by expanding and NOT having solid controls over land use and legislation. + everyone that reaches the CA 'dream' keeps reaching for MORE. gimme MORE, and MORE,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhR4VtfgNWU

There are other ways to get to Tokyo and London. My employer was always struggling to get volunteers for foreign assignments (unless he asked me!) Poof, GONE

Some were good, some were bad, all were very valuable for learning about other cultures and regions. (few Texans do international assignments, I didn't meet very many as Texans seem to feel very 'sheltered' in 'familiar' Texas, as an outsider you never wonder why . )

Texas is very short on variety (people, food, terrain and climate), CA does have a huge advantage there as does nearly every state west of Texas and many states north and east as well.

Every state has it's 'bad'.

Some states also have 'good'.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:29 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,447,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Texas is very short on variety (people, food, terrain and climate), CA does have a huge advantage there as does nearly every state west of Texas and many states north and east as well.
Food? That's pretty myopic being San Antonio-centric.

Houston is the crossroads of Mexican, barbecue, and Cajun/Creole (emphasis on seafood) cuisines.

The only principles of California cuisine are nicely plated in appearance, heavy on the vegetables, and high prices.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:30 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Short on variety of people? Clearly written by someone who's never lived in Texas.

20 years ago I worked at a company where our production staff had 45 different home languages amongst them.

Short on variety of food? Obviously you've never been to Houston or Dallas.

Yes, the terrain of Texas is less varied than that of California - it's the Great Plains, you know - a glance at a map will tell you this. The climate is less varied too - it's the Great Plains, you know.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:40 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,958,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The kind of mild weather you describe really only applies to certain parts of coastal CA or at elevation in the mountains (in the summertime). Much of the state gets very very hot (albeit low humidity, but still) in the summer.
But an out of state visitor wouldn't know. They only go to SF, Santa Monica, the beach, Hollywood, and Disneyland and La Jolla and Sea World. All the coolest, nicest, most expensive Coastal Areas. Either that or they go to Yosemite which is cooler cuz it's in the mountains.

All the hotter places in California except maybe Palm Springs have very few out of state tourists. Sacramento, Fresno, Bakersfield, ain't exactly well visited by tourists from Texas.

Even in Irvine it can be deceptively hot during the summer. You'll get weeks of overcast weather in the seventies during the summer, but you'll also get heat waves with 100 plus degree temps. Mild averages, but when heat strikes, it's extreme.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:43 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
I just moved to Texas... people living in CA and WA ask me why on earth did I do such a thing... then promptly proceed to list a whole bunch of negatives.

The truth is that I can also list a ton of negatives about CA and WA as well.

Every place has its issues, CA (coastal) has amazing weather but there are a host of other problems that diminish quality of life.

I am in Dallas today, very nice day, temp is just right as I like it a bit on the toasty side!!

Old 08-06-2020, 11:59 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:

Texas is short on food variety? Ever been to Houston? Very few places rival Houston there. DFW is also not short on food variety.

Short on variety of people? Good lord thats ignorant.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Study Texas ethnic groups vs California (or NY,, FL, Ontario, British Columbia... )

Pretty homogeneous in food and people groups in Texas.

Go to Texas State Fair, then.... Go to Minnesota (or Illinois or Iowa) State Fair. Compare the food and people and 4H variety available (local crops / AG / ethnic)

Pretty homogeneous around here (Texas)

Old 08-06-2020, 02:17 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Study Texas ethnic groups vs California (or NY,, FL, Ontario, British Columbia... )

Pretty homogeneous in food and people groups in Texas.

Go to Texas State Fair, then.... Go to Minnesota (or Illinois or Iowa) State Fair. Compare the food and people and 4H variety available (local crops / AG / ethnic)

Pretty homogeneous around here (Texas)
Huh?

Among Europeans, you've got large groups of German, Czech, Scotch-Irish, Eastern European Jews, English;

African-Americans and African immigrants abound

Lots and lots of middle Easterners

East Asians - China, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thai, etc.

Hispanics of all stripes

South Asian (Indian, Pakistani) are everywhere

About the only ethnic groups you don't see a lot of here is Italian, Greek, and post-famine Irish.

I have no idea what you are talking about, and I'm not sure you do either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas