Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:31 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,875,263 times

Advertisements

I did the opposite. Moved to Texas as a change of pace in my mid 20s. It wasn't until after I lived there a few years that I thought "the people are nice, but the climate and scenery suck," and I eventually left. Went back to DFW in January for the first time in 7 years, and although it's changed a lot, I didn't miss it at all.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 07-29-2020 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 05:14 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times
I lived with my family in Jacumba, California for a few months in 1946, and can tell y’all..... nope.

Old 07-29-2020, 07:47 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,627,850 times
I live here, I'm a Texan and I am not acclimated to the heat nor the humidity and the older I get the less I can take of it. I have missed my late july trip to Maritime Canada this year for a bit of respite.

The thing is to use smart strategies when possible. Lots of water time (pool and lake time), stay out of mid day heat, keep your A/C serviced and in good working order.. Also enjoy the other 8 months of the year.

@biafra4life . Let's be honest here. 97 in the morning is not the norm unless you are in the DFW concrete and asphalt landscape. Here in East Texas in the summer it is always in the 70's in the mornings and sometimes 60's. All that concrete and asphalt is releasing heat all night long that it accumulated during the previous day and the landscape never has a chance to cool down. DFW is always one of the most uncomfortable areas in the state. Although it's definitely not as humid as Houston it's still humid (moreso on the east side) and generally 10 degrees warmer. The Metromess is hot, blast furnace hot.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:14 PM

117 posts, read 80,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
What's up, are you planning on moving to Texas? I think you'll like it here, just try and give yourself some time to get accumulated with the summers.
Yes I am moving to San Antonio area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Maybe not necessarily being snowflakes. There are pronouced differences which many can and will describe. This doesn't make them snowflakes and to say so kinda falls into the name calling category and becomes useless unless trying to be purposefully demeaning.

Texas will not ever be able to claim the sheer natural beauty of California nor it's generally better climate. California's government and economic climate is awful for many (i.e.: the middle class) compared to Texas. These are both generalized statements but have the weight of overall truth.
This is why I am moving it is brutal on the middle class here. One really needs to make 100k to live here. To purchase a home in a decent neighborhood, drive a newer car, ect. Family of 4 needs both parents making minimum 80k each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yeah good luck with that. I've been in Texas over 20 years now, and the summer heat still kicks my butt every year without fail. My daughter's high school graduation ceremony was held in June in an outdoor football stadium due to covid concerns. In the morning when it was "cooler"...at 97 degrees. After 3 hours baking in the sun, I had to go lie down. Just grueling.

That's the one gripe Californians bring up that I never understood...until I visited my brother in Santa Monica last year in June...70 degree weather IN JUNE...alone with being on the beach it was amazing. It's such a shame that it would be a huge setback financially for me to move there otherwise I would be long gone.
Yes, coastal areas are the most temperate. It starts to change about 25 miles inland where 100deg. days are common. San Diego is actually a coastal desert, we are frequently under drought conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The kind of mild weather you describe really only applies to certain parts of coastal CA or at elevation in the mountains (in the summertime). Much of the state gets very very hot (albeit low humidity, but still) in the summer.
Yes, this. ^^^

Old 07-30-2020, 02:59 PM

1,158 posts, read 959,571 times
Housing is still cheap here...compared to the coasts.

Keep moving to Texas transplants!!!! My house has increased 100k in the last 4 years. I can move when my kids get out of school...lol

Old 07-30-2020, 03:09 PM

500 posts, read 358,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Ever been in Needles in late July at 3:00 pm?
I have.

And Laughlin and GoldenValley (relatives retired in the area).

It's pretty hot.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:18 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Transients suck. They offer nothing of any value, since they don't have skin in the game and they are usually planning to move away soon. Just take a look at all the community volunteers - they aren't transients from other states. They are people who grew up here, who have skin in the game, who plan to keep living here for years. Transients suck. Drifters suck. Many of them can't even stay in one place inside the same community - they will move and live in a dozen different apartments over a period of a few years, in the same area. Moving around for no reason is in their blood but I do not have to listen to them complain.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:31 PM

117 posts, read 80,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Transients suck. They offer nothing of any value, since they don't have skin in the game and they are usually planning to move away soon. Just take a look at all the community volunteers - they aren't transients from other states. They are people who grew up here, who have skin in the game, who plan to keep living here for years. Transients suck. Drifters suck. Many of them can't even stay in one place inside the same community - they will move and live in a dozen different apartments over a period of a few years, in the same area. Moving around for no reason is in their blood but I do not have to listen to them complain.
Wow! Tell us how you really feel
I would have to disagree. I grew up in a very friendly neighborhood in Denver, raised by midwestern morals. A very good sense of community. And that kind of living from what I have observed in CA for the last 23 year is very scarce, almost non existent. People just stick to themselves in neighborhoods. And I miss that. I hope I can get that back when I move to Texas. So I'm a transient looking for community, I volunteer, I want to know my neighbors.
Another weird thing about CA exodus is no matter how many people leave this state there is always more coming in...and IMO they can have it, I'm done.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Transients suck. They offer nothing of any value, since they don't have skin in the game ...
'Lumping' much?

Many transients are far more invested than I, but...
  • A few million $ invested in each destination counts for significant SKIN in the game and community. (especially at property / school tax time)
  • HIRING locals and supporting local businesses counts for a tad bit of community benefit to your community and economy... of which average Joe who does neither.
  • Some of us TRAVEL to volunteer and help communities (USA and internationally for 50+ yrs)
  • Do international (and USA) cooperative development (for free), maybe I helped start your Credit Union or utility cooperative, as I have many. Do you belong to Funerals.coop? If not, maybe you should! (<$1000 end of life costs, for a very simple cooperative membership) Saves many people millions and a LOT of grief (free volunteering of course, for the benefit of millions)
  • Spent 20 + yrs volunteering in public schools while I homeschooled my own and paid $$,$$$ in school taxes each yr.
  • Charities in each destination get plenty of dough from our charitable family foundation.
  • Transients sometimes have a lot of time to haul their neighbors to hospitals and Drs and help Meals on Wheels and local youth / battered women's / homeless shelter.
Not sure about you, but I raised my kids to do the same. (and they do it too)

No free rides or inheritances, I made my own way working hourly night shift dangerous and stinky factory jobs, and 2 jobs on weekends (while supporting my parents and my own family (single income)).

Not hard to do, but pretty interesting to see such a pointed, unfounded, uneducated, mis-informed and inexperienced reply.

Watch where you throw your stones, you may kill a good Samaritan. (But they are used to being killed for no reason).

Old 07-31-2020, 02:03 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Well... a lot of people move to places that actually do suck, for many reasons!
  • Jobs
  • Family
  • Affordability
  • Climate
  • Schools
  • Medical care
  • Eldercare
  • To serve Prison sentence
  • To play politics

Texans (and Californians chased me from Colorado on the 1970s) and it STILL gets WORSE! (believe it or not).
Agree.

The biggest problem California has is affordability. Everyone knows California is better but it comes with a hefty price tag.

I would like to move to Cali, or London or Tokyo if I won a lottery or something. But right now, I accept the reality that I don't have these options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas