Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 10:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Go to downtown Houston; drive southwest on Main Street till you reach 610, then drive that loop. Stop every two miles at the first convenience store you see, and observe the languages of the signs. I can guarantee you will see at LEAST English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Hindi, Cambodian, Chinese, Urdu, Ethiopian. You may see some others.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:10 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I don't care if people who move to Texas aren't happy here. They can move back. I really don't care and most native Texans I know, don't care either.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:02 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Problem is they never stop complaining and they never leave either.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:38 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Yeah, projecting the Hill Country to all of Texas is like saying NYS is not diverse because Geneseo, NY isn't. The bulk of New York State lives in NY Metro.
I don't know. The Hill Country has some diversity. The area was settled by Germans, There's a large population of Hispanics (whatever that is), ex-pat Californians abound in the eastern HC, and then there's the huge population of hippies.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:53 PM

900 posts, read 375,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
I think it's mostly young people that may say that. My 16 year old daughter said some kids that recently moved to Texas from California and New York told her they felt sorry for her since she has lived in Texas all her life. My assumption is these kids (my daughter included) watch these videos and online celebrities that eventually move to Ca. and flaunt their new found fortune and fame. That along with the Hollywood image has always made Ca. an almost utopia in many peoples mind and without fail has created a stereo type of how the state is perceived. Same with Texas which is stereotyped as all dessert, tumble weeds, cowboys and horses. Although all stereo types are based on a partial truth, Ca. is not all Hollywood and Texas is not all Cowboys.
NY and CA, are two states that do not express true America, are places of high globalization, with people from all over the world, where there are different options and things happening all the time, leaving places like this to go south really has a very big impact, especially for the youngest.

I did the reverse, I was born in Texas, I went to university and settled in Denver, I had a good marriage and today I live in Santa Monica, California, I am the father of two children, and without wanting to be a snob, I want them to grow up here because it is here that is the best opportunity, good schools, good jobs and good personal contacts

To return to texas would be to regress, to walk backwards, I do not want my children to have the life I had and I do not want to see my grandchildren struggling to have a good life.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:05 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
NY and CA, are two states that do not express true America, are places of high globalization, with people from all over the world, where there are different options and things happening all the time, leaving places like this to go south really has a very big impact, especially for the youngest.

I did the reverse, I was born in Texas, I went to university and settled in Denver, I had a good marriage and today I live in Santa Monica, California, I am the father of two children, and without wanting to be a snob, I want them to grow up here because it is here that is the best opportunity, good schools, good jobs and good personal contacts

To return to texas would be to regress, to walk backwards, I do not want my children to have the life I had and I do not want to see my grandchildren struggling to have a good life.
Man, I dont know where in Texas you grew up and in what time frame but yeah that does sound snobby.

I grew up in Torrance and lived 24 of my 37 years in the LA area. Im not religious and Im not conservative. I live in Houston which is one of the most diverse cities in the world. In the North America, only NYC, LA, Toronto, and the DC area are objectively more diverse. When we do have kids, they will be exposed to people from all over the world just as they would if we were still in LA. Ill grant you California Universities cant really be beat on the whole, but we certainly not lagging here either.

Texas isnt perfect. The state government is certainly more conservative than I prefer and its humid and hot here in Houston 8 months out of the year but the QOL we have here based vs. what we would have back in LA is far above and beyond in our view. Sure I miss the mountains and beaches that dont suck, but not nearly enough to want to be back there.

Its ironic. You dont want your kids to have to grow up in Texas because you dont want them to deal with what you feel Texas is. If I have kids, I wouldnt want them to grow up in LA nor would I want to raise a family there for almost the same reasons.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:09 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
As someone who grew up in NY and CA, went to college in NYC, and spent the past 10 years overseas until settling down in DFW, I disagree.

You'll get more of all of those things in bold in Southlake than in Jersey City. That's a function of where you are relative to the cost of living in your area, not the locality you live in. As far as the best schools go, not even the best public schools in California (or anywhere for that matter) are good enough in my eyes anyway and I'd be looking to private schools somewhere back east.

That said, none of that really matters to me since I am leaning towards not having kids in the first place. And the cost of living relative to wages in any city of comparable size was a dealbreaker. The marginal improvement in opportunities you get in NYC or LA or SF are nowhere near good enough to make up for the QoL sacrifices that are required to make it work IMO.

Last edited by albert648; 08-21-2020 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-27-2020, 01:56 AM

900 posts, read 375,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
As someone who grew up in NY and CA, went to college in NYC, and spent the past 10 years overseas until settling down in DFW, I disagree.

You'll get more of all of those things in bold in Southlake than in Jersey City. That's a function of where you are relative to the cost of living in your area, not the locality you live in. As far as the best schools go, not even the best public schools in California (or anywhere for that matter) are good enough in my eyes anyway and I'd be looking to private schools somewhere back east.

That said, none of that really matters to me since I am leaning towards not having kids in the first place. And the cost of living relative to wages in any city of comparable size was a dealbreaker. The marginal improvement in opportunities you get in NYC or LA or SF are nowhere near good enough to make up for the QoL sacrifices that are required to make it work IMO.

I understand, but for me it doesn't work like that, being in California also goes further, because my business is here, the people I need to keep in touch with are here, I need to go to Asia a lot, I live half a year abroad, I want to raise my children so that they can take over my company when I can no longer do it, and for that I need to train them, insert them in the environment where I live, together with the children of the people around me, I will not be able to do this living in Texas, simply because the things I need are not there.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:51 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
I understand, but for me it doesn't work like that, being in California also goes further, because my business is here, the people I need to keep in touch with are here, I need to go to Asia a lot, I live half a year abroad, I want to raise my children so that they can take over my company when I can no longer do it, and for that I need to train them, insert them in the environment where I live, together with the children of the people around me, I will not be able to do this living in Texas, simply because the things I need are not there.
Granted California is closer to Asia and has more flights to Asia, but Texas has plenty.

DFW has nonstop flights to Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong.

Houston Bush has nonstop flights to Tokyo, Beijing, Taipei, and a direct (which is different from nonstop) flight to Singapore.

This was pre-pandemic, but most of those are still intact or will be coming back soon.

Im honestly not sure where in Texas you grew up but your image of Texas seems to be dated and thats coming from a native Angeleno. Its perfectly fine to think California is great and Texas sucks, but hate it for what it is, not what it isnt.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:13 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,791,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Granted California is closer to Asia and has more flights to Asia, but Texas has plenty.
Between the nonstops and connecting options, I don't think accessibility to Asia or anywhere else in the world is an issue. At those stage lengths, 14 hours vs. 17 hours or even a connection is kind of irrelevant. Fly to Tokyo, go to the lounge, jump in the shower, get a bite to eat, change of clothes then fly on to your next destination. It's really no big deal.

Heck I even go the long way sometimes to collect more frequent flyer miles or fly a preferred airline/alliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas