Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 11:15 AM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times

Advertisements

I'm not surprised either, some of these folks drive like hellcats out there.

https://wallethub.com/edu/strictest-...peeding/14211/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 12:10 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
I don't agree with the above list EXCEPT on rural Texas freeways where the posted speed limit gets up to 85MPH.

I feel way more paranoid driving in Texas than I do California that I will get pulled over for speeding, especially in the cities and towns. In San Diego CA, for example, I can freely drive 8OMPH regularly without much worry of getting pulled over even in 65-70 MPH zones. Going 75-80 in a 65-70 MPH zone means I am going with the flow of traffic. I can't do that in San Antonio TX where people drive slower on the city freeways and there are unmarked police cars that will pull you over for speeding.

I am in both cities regularly and I do feel like I need to be more mindful of my speed when in Texas.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,227,327 times
Having driven a lot around the US, I agree. In the vast majority of states, you don't see much routine speeding (up to 10MPH over), and rarely see excessive speeding (20+). In Texas... All. Day. Long. It's not enforced with much effort, and so people do it. We're also a big state.

For example, driving to Brenham on US290, the average speed is at least 70, often 75. And that's in the 60/65 zone. If you put your cruise control on 70, you are passed non-stop.

Driving east on I-10 towards Louisiana, people drive 75-85. Once you hit the LA border, they drive the speed limit. And it's like this for state after state. It's actually challenging for a Texas driver, used to routinely driving 10+ over the speed limit, to drive at speed for hours on end.

I disagree with the CA statement. When I drive there, hardly anyone speeds.

Aside: That link repeats a myth straight from the NHTSA and the insurance cabal. "Speed Kills". Absolutely not true. Study after study shows our speed limits are too slow. And when they are raised, there is little to NO change in the death rate. Only excessive speeding has a correlation to accidents. Driving 80 or less makes no difference in the accident rate.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Speeding on a controlled access multi-lane highway (interstate highway, freeway...) is far different that speeding through a construction, commercial, or school zone.

Texas has a lot of FM / county roads, some are straight and flat with far visibility, little traffic or cross roads or resident access. Others are twisted with high traffic and many access points, and scenic pullouts.

The policing entity and county planning has the traffic studies, traffic counts, accident rates, new construction plans, visibility rules (including school bus stops and egress points), and can be most informed to post the appropriate speed limit.

If you are exceeding the posted speed limit you may get a citation (or you may not).
If you are operating a vehicle in an unsafe manner you may kill or maim others (or you may not).
If you perpetually drive in an unsafe manner, please don't drive on public highways, instead... go spend a week in a physical therapy and rehab facility and spend your weekend in an Emergency room trauma center and a mortuary.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:11 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times
I agree with this list. In my experience the most strict states in terms of speeding are Virginia and Arizona. I remember getting three speeding tickets the first year I moved from Texas to Virginia back in the day. I was genuinely perplexed by why I was getting pulled over until I realized (unlike Texas) other states take speed seriously!

Old 09-21-2020, 10:59 AM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I disagree with the CA statement. When I drive there, hardly anyone speeds.
Have you ever driven in San Diego or on the 15 between SD and Riverside or the 5 between SD and LA/OC during non traffic hours? Most people are doing 75-85. When my Texas visitors come here, everyone of them feels that the flow of traffic is insanely faster than they're used to while in the city limits.

I will say, perhaps CHP does hand out more traffic violations than Texas DPS it's just less likely that you will be pulled over given the number of people on the roads in SoCal.

Old 09-21-2020, 11:08 AM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times
It’s mostly distracted driving (not paying attention, using cellphone, watching freaking Netflix) that kills. Speeding basically just makes it more gruesome.

Even still though we have a lot of drivers that go WAY over the speed limit. I have been frequently passed by drivers doing 90+ on I-35 between Austin and DFW. There have been times I’m in the center lane doing 80 and getting passed on both sides like I’m holding up traffic. I-20 between DFW and Louisiana may as well not even have a speed limit.

Old 09-21-2020, 12:59 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,227,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It’s mostly distracted driving (not paying attention, using cellphone, watching freaking Netflix) that kills. Speeding basically just makes it more gruesome.
This.

Old 09-21-2020, 02:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,688 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Speed also kills (often the driver and passengers)
Not everyone is a race car driver (Capable of responding correctly at high speed to maintain control of vehicle)

I have seen speed kill a lot of workers in construction zones. Drivers not responding to warning signs.

While working in Japan 30 yrs ago, they had replaced 'flaggers' with remote controlled robots that looked like a flagger. The real flagger was in a safe space overlooking the whole site and controlling the flagger 'mannequin robots'. Cameras in the robots captured the offenders, no deaths necessary.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:09 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
The, "speed kills" mantra as sold in The US by cops, insurance companies and the .gov. is mostly rubbish.

1. In Germany autobahn death rates are much lower, multiples lower, than urban and rural deth rates. Although, we don't have autobahns the same logic applies in The US. Freeway travel is safer than urban street travel which is safer than rural travel.

2. My wife is on the IT side of an old line insurance company. They have auto crash data going back 100 years - literally. According to an actuary in her company, the safe to dangerous list looks like this.....

Safest to most dangerous........using his descriptions.......

1. Casual speeders (+8 - 15% over posted speeds). Tend to be high confidence drivers in newish/good vehicles with good tires etc.

2. Casual observers - people who tend to drive close to but over posted speeds (+0 - +7% over).

3. Strict observers - those who drive the speed limit or less most of the time. These people tend to be lower confidence drivers with older and lower quality gear than the above.

4. Rule breakers - drunks, the high, drag/cafe racers, the very old, people who tend to drive well under speed limits, wreckless drivers like morons trying to outrun the cops, someone driving 95 in 60 zone, distracted drivers etc.

The thing about all this is Groups 1 and 2 are not just a little safer per mile driven than 3 and 4 they are much safer and further there is little gap between 3 and 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas