Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 12:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This specifically is already happening. Step inside those big warehouses and you'll notice it.
Yep. Every time there's an announcement of Amazon or whoever hiring hundreds of people to staff a new warehouse, I wonder how long they'll really need that many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 12:40 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,935,144 times
I'll just add a comment that automation killing jobs on a large scale is not a new thing at all. When I was a kid, petrochem plants employed hundreds or thousands of people at a single facility. Now you see announcements of multi-billion dollar plant investments where it's notable if they'll have 100 permanent jobs. This all because there's been so much automation in that industry (incentivized by liability risk reduction of course).

Old 02-14-2022, 02:26 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'll just add a comment that automation killing jobs on a large scale is not a new thing at all. When I was a kid, petrochem plants employed hundreds or thousands of people at a single facility. Now you see announcements of multi-billion dollar plant investments where it's notable if they'll have 100 permanent jobs. This all because there's been so much automation in that industry (incentivized by liability risk reduction of course).
It does seem like automation and AI however have taken huge leapsteps in terms of how fast things are improving and developing lately. It's almost as if someone just pushed the 'Fast Forward' button in terms of technological advancement.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:11 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,692,217 times
One of my TikTok neighbors had on a pretty rad TikTok hoodie today at the dog park.

Old 02-21-2022, 11:52 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Houston is really the big city for San Antonians and Austinites when they need big city amenities that are not found in South Central Texas. The 3 cities are much closer to each other than Dallas is to either Austin or Houston.

Tesla is more likely to move to Houston (or the suburbs, particularly the Katy area as I-10 and TX-71 provide easy access to the factory). Musk may move from the Westside of L.A. to some ritzy part of Houston with the sizable population of fellow South Africans here.
This post aged really well. LOL.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:09 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
Default No kidding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Regardless of the profile of the employees, more tech jobs isn't going to help Austin's affordability, with what those jobs typically pay.
With Meta/Facebook moving its headquarters to Austin, you can only expect that already insane housing prices in the Austin area to go up even more.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:22 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
With Meta/Facebook moving its headquarters to Austin, you can only expect that already insane housing prices in the Austin area to go up even more.
Did this happen? Can’t find any news on it.

Old 02-23-2022, 09:37 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Did this happen? Can’t find any news on it.
Looks like they are expanding in Austin but not moving the HQ.

https://www.builtinaustin.com/2022/0...ook-hiring-400

Old 02-23-2022, 09:39 PM

9,862 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

Yeah Facebook has been expanding in Austin for a while.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:58 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
Default Its coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

I retired after 40 years in the corporate world, and from what I witnessed during that time, that is how these things are done. The shareholders cannot be surprised, so these things happened just as is happening now. Also, with so many employees with homes in the Bay Area, you cannot spring a fast move like this on the employees.

Tesla, Oracle, HP and others all did the same things, within a three year period and I don't see this as any different. In fact, because they are buying up 60% of the tallest building under construction in Austin, it says a lot. Companies who's earnings are in the billions cannot afford to keep paying the insane taxes in California, it should not surprise anyone.

Another industry is 'making the move', and that is the film industry. I read recently about a new film studio being built somewhere near Austin, it won't be ready for a few years, but it is going to be on par with the other studios in LA, so we'll see what develops.. pun intended. Also, even celebrities are starting to relocate to the Austin area, or Texas in general. It is just a better place for wealthy people, and central to both coasts. Lots of good reasons to come to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas